r0jaws

Mondeo Man
Country
UK
Region
Lincolnshire
@ Merlin

OOooh, famous. Can we get an autograph? :D

You do realise that this will be precursor to a deluge of young women throwing their unmentionables at you in the street as you pass. :p

arnljot

Dad, gamer, nerd, amigian
Country
Oslo
Region
Oslo
I haven't seen this before, and I haven't seen it mentioned here either.

AndyC

AmiBayer
Country
United Kingdom
Region
Fife
If you do a search for "Amiga" on the Guardian website, you'll find loads of links where either the writer or someone making a comment reminisces about Amiga. I wouldn't be surprised if they decide to carry the X1000 story, if and when more details are released...

Merlin

Ministry of Retr0bright and Street Judge
VIP
Country
UK
Region
Manchester
True, I didn't mention it on here, however, when it all got 'Slashdotted' last March, I did mention the Guardian article over at EAB. That was about the time Zetr0 and I put together the Retr0bright Wiki, which was the trigger for Slashdot to go mental about it.

There is more collective L33tness in our community that you could ever dream of.....what eventually became the Retr0bright project was spread over EAB, The Vintage Computer Forums, Atari Age and quite a few other sites at that time.

Links to the whole lineage that created Retr0bright are in the Wiki under 'Related Reading'.

(y)

Last edited:

chiark

AmiNerd
Country
United Kingdom
Region
Yorkshire
Slashdot. News for nerds, stuff that matters...

l33tness - the quality of being l33t.

I hope this is educational :D .

Merlin

VIP
Country
UK
Region
Manchester
Sorry...

There is a famous website called slashdot.org which is a self-described "News for Nerds and Stuff that Matters" site. the Retr0bright Wiki was discovered and posted in a blog on the site that erupted into interest in Retr0bright from all over the world, from Lego guys who were looking to clean yellowed bricks, Star Wars fans looking to restore Stormtrooper armour, Airstream caravan users using it to restore baths and fittings, arcade cabinet and fruit machine restorers using it; like I said, it just went ballistic.

http://hardware.slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=09/03/02/2036235&from=rss

"l33tness" is a corruption of the word Elite, which in our communities means "uber-nerdness" or " an extermely talented individual in the field of hardware, software or retro computing", depending on how you wish to interpret it. :LOL:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Leet

L33tspeak (or leet-speak) has it's own language and there are also translators out there for it...

http://www.albinoblacksheep.com/text/leet

I think that covers it all.....:)

Attachments

• leet_cereal.jpg
    leet_cereal.jpg
    26.8 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:

Merlin

VIP
Country
UK
Region
Manchester
LMAO @ Chiark's explanation of L33t....!!!! :rofl3

Harrison

Country
UK
Region
West Sussex
Also note in the article that I contacted the author after he mis-identified me as Merlin and he added the Update footnote to correct the error. ;)

Merlin

VIP
Country
UK
Region
Manchester
Also note in the article that I contacted the author after he mis-identified me as Merlin and he added the Update footnote to correct the error. ;)

Does that mean you were only l33t for a short time, based on Chiark's definition....??

:LOL: :run:

Harrison

Country
UK
Region
West Sussex
:LOL: Ah! Not quite. I am l33t in my own right! So don't worry about that! he he ;) CA has been features in a few magazines over the years in various different countries and languages. ;) Most recent ones include MicroMart and a Portuguese magazine.

Merlin

VIP
Country
UK
Region
Manchester
Pah!

Retr0bright got into Retroaction and Make magazines; you don't scare me.....:D

rkauer

Amiga fanboy
Country
Brazil
Region
São Leopoldo, RS
Nice morning l33t cereal, Merl, but saving for a GeForce4? Thanks, but no, thanks.:dry:

easypreacher

Country
United Kingdom
Region
North Devon
From the Cyberpunk Handbook.......

"3L1T3 (Lamer spelling of Elite): The highest level you can reach,according to newbies and lamers, who may sneer at the 3L1T3 from sour grapes.

eleet, 31337 or l33t (dood spelling of elite): The eleet go to 2600 meetings only to teach. Members of the true elite may be visible, and known to be eleet or EL1T3, but it's best for them to stay invisible, and remain only.....

elite: The secret masters. They've rewritten a UNIX kernel. They have Bruce Sterling's PGP passphrase and the key to Gibson's back door. The elite were NOT mentioned in The Hacker Crackdown and Wired never heard of them."

Good thread... so you boys have been l33t and keeping it open source, you cheeky monkeys you:)
Take care
Easypreacher

Merlin

VIP
Country
UK
Region
Manchester
@ easypreacher

There's nowt wrong with open source, lad; ask Linus Torvalds......;)

Besides, it meant that everyone who contributed to Retr0bright could put the proverbial 'two fingers' up to all of those shills on a certain auction site (*cough*) who persist in describing stuff as 'mint condition', as anyone can have a machine as clean as the day it was made, by careful use of Retr0bright...:mrgreen:

I'm not really l33t though; I'm just a freestyle extreme alchemist... which is kind of what the original Merlin was...

Top Bottom