Amiga 1200 Vs Amiga CD32

msimplay

Country
UK
Region
West Midlands
Hi I thought people here might know the solution to my problem.
I've been looking for an all in one Amiga solution for a while now
I've seen many kits on Ebay selling Amiga's and a hard drive solution.
However most of them aren't a total solution as they would need more ram to be able to play Amiga CD32 games.

So I was wondering if going from the other end would be better I mean buying a CD32 and getting a hard drive instead of Amiga 1200 + Ram + Hard drive.

Which route would be better ? I've seen the CD32's and they generally tend to be cheaper.

I'm generally new to Amiga gaming to be honest and the only experience I've had with one is through Emulators but Emulators can never match the real thing so that's why I want to buy a good Amiga that will give me hassle free gaming.

HyperD

Country
Germany
Region
Deutscheland
mhhh i think a standard A1200 or a CD32 cost almost the same.
So what do you want do with the Amiga only play games?

Jon Hare

Country
Hamburg
Region
Germany
Right, CD32 are cheaper. The units. But you have no chance to install a HD into the unit. You need an expansion for it, called SX32 or ProModule. And these expansions are more expensive than a full equipped A1200 with Ramextension 4 or 8MB and Harddrive up to 4GB. And the SX32 Pro is even more expensive than an A4000 :LOL:

So you really should look after an A1200 + Ramextension + HD.

Witcher1979

Banned
Country
Westleton, Suffolk, UK
Region
Suffolk
I would have to say A1200 with cdrom to boot cd32 games (you could make a workbench disk to allow rebooting into cd32 mode). It depends how much you want to spend. You only need more memory for whdload, so standard A1200 will play everything floppy based. Its only if you want to add a HD and use whdload you need to shell out on expansions. A1200 whdload machine you would only need a 4-8mb ram expansion.

rkauer

Amiga fanboy
Country
Brazil
Region
São Leopoldo, RS
And just for a few games and demos the A1200 will require an accelerator (030 or better with up to 64Mb of RAM).

The CD32 is just a console machine, but of course it is an Amiga console machine.

HonestFlames

Country
England
Region
Shropshire
If you're only interested in CD32 games, then get a CD32. If you're interested in some more general purpose usage, get an A1200. A1200's are as flexible a computer as you're likely to find.

Upgrades are fairly cheap, with 50MHz 030's + 32MB RAM to be had for less than the price of a meal for 4 at a decent restaurant.

CD32 compatability can be pretty good, too. I don't know if a CDROM drive is totally necessary, or if you can run games from a CF card (obviously as long as you also do own the actual game, etc.).

An Amiga 1200 with an accelerator, extra RAM and an internally fitted 4GB CF card really is a thing of beauty :)

Witcher1979

Banned
Country
Westleton, Suffolk, UK
Region
Suffolk
The reason for a cd drive is to run cd32 games with the audio tracks. You can ofc add them to your HD with assigns. But then you would just be playing the normal verisons anyway (y) You can only run the audio tracks from the cd drive. Unless some knows something i don't.

msimplay

Country
UK
Region
West Midlands
mhhh i think a standard A1200 or a CD32 cost almost the same.
So what do you want do with the Amiga only play games?

Yup just play games

If you're only interested in CD32 games, then get a CD32. If you're interested in some more general purpose usage, get an A1200. A1200's are as flexible a computer as you're likely to find.

Upgrades are fairly cheap, with 50MHz 030's + 32MB RAM to be had for less than the price of a meal for 4 at a decent restaurant.

CD32 compatability can be pretty good, too. I don't know if a CDROM drive is totally necessary, or if you can run games from a CF card (obviously as long as you also do own the actual game, etc.).

An Amiga 1200 with an accelerator, extra RAM and an internally fitted 4GB CF card really is a thing of beauty :)

I'm on the verge of Amiga 1200 + HD + Cdrom drive to play CD32 as space is always a problem

The reason for a cd drive is to run cd32 games with the audio tracks. You can ofc add them to your HD with assigns. But then you would just be playing the normal verisons anyway (y) You can only run the audio tracks from the cd drive. Unless some knows something i don't.

Thats really good information there I didn't know that the cd tracks wouldn't play. So it makes sense to get a cdrom drive even if you by the A1200 + Hd combo

abraXXious

Banned
Country
Australia
Good choice, you can easily make an A1200 run CD32 games (does anything use the Akiko?!), but it is very difficult/expensive to expand a CD32 to the level of even a mid range A1200.

With the A1200 you have the option of PPC boards, Zorro boards, PCI boards, clockport expansions, sound cards, graphics cards, pcm cia devices, compact flash cards, network cards (even wifi).

The CD32, even with the very expensive SX32, does not have access to any of these.

Go with the A1200, you will not be sorry.

HyperD

Country
Germany
Region
Deutscheland
He want play only games. And he don´t want waste space.
The cd32 can you quickly hide in a drawer or cabinet. in 10 sec.
I think maybe the cd32 is the better choice for him.
And when the first SX32 transaction is finished maybe i sold another one.
Or someone else sold one.

msimplay

Country
UK
Region
West Midlands
Good choice, you can easily make an A1200 run CD32 games (does anything use the Akiko?!), but it is very difficult/expensive to expand a CD32 to the level of even a mid range A1200.

With the A1200 you have the option of PPC boards, Zorro boards, PCI boards, clockport expansions, sound cards, graphics cards, pcm cia devices, compact flash cards, network cards (even wifi).

The CD32, even with the very expensive SX32, does not have access to any of these.

I can see you are a true Amiga enthusiast but games is the main priority for me.
I already have a computer I use for everyday work I just want to get to play all the classics I missed out on as a kid.
Money played a vital role and it meant my parents didn't buy me an Amiga they bought me a Snes which was fine for back then.
However I realised the Amiga was something for the more mature gamer.
With games like Monkey Island that would never see the light of day on the Snes.

Justin

Country
United Kingdom
Region
UK
personal choice, but an A1200 with HHD, CF card, 030 and an internal slimline CD drive for me, very versatile machine and a lot of fun putting it together(y)

abraXXious

Banned
Country
Australia
Well, the CD32 has access to about .1% of the Amiga games library, so even if you just want something for games you would be crazy to buy a version of a games machine that has the smallest library of actual games. :)

Sorry, but anyway you slice it the CD32 is a poor choice for a taste of Amiga gaming.

I can see you are a true Amiga enthusiast but games is the main priority for me.
I already have a computer I use for everyday work I just want to get to play all the classics I missed out on as a kid.
Money played a vital role and it meant my parents didn't buy me an Amiga they bought me a Snes which was fine for back then.
With games like Monkey Island that would never see the light of day on the Snes.

msimplay

Country
UK
Region
West Midlands
Well, the CD32 has access to about .1% of the Amiga games library, so even if you just want something for games you would be crazy to buy a version of a games machine that has the smallest library of actual games. :)

Sorry, but anyway you slice it the CD32 is a poor choice for a taste of Amiga gaming.

It seems that way now but as a newcomer I didn't know what to buy as I did hear that you can expand the CD32 also.
On Ebay they sell CD32's with floppy drive bundles which effectively made it an Amiga 1200 without the expansion capabilities.
I also had no idea that SX-1 and SX-2 expansions for CD32 were so difficult to get a hold of.

I think the A1200 is the best choice now :)

abraXXious

Banned
Country
Australia
If he only wants to play games then he should consider an A1200 or even an A500 over the CD32 as they have dozens of times more games written for them.

If you are talking about running aga/A1200 games on the CD32, then sooner or later (sooner I would say) he will need a keyboard and mouse, and he will DEFINITELY need a disk drive.... so exactly how large do you think a CD32 WITH a keyboard, External disk drive, Mouse, SX32/SX1 is? Over double the size of an A1200 I would say - as I own several CD32s and A1200s.

A CD32 + SX32 costs more than an A1200 with 040, ram etc. The A1200 is faster, more powerful, more expandible, more compatible, more compact and cheaper.

The only possible reason ANYONE would purchase a CD32 over an A1200 for Amiga gaming is if they ONLY wanted to play the relatively small library of CD32 games.

Anyone please feel to correct me if Im wrong.

He want play only games. And he don´t want waste space.
The cd32 can you quickly hide in a drawer or cabinet. in 10 sec.
I think maybe the cd32 is the better choice for him.
And when the first SX32 transaction is finished maybe i sold another one.
Or someone else sold one.

Top Bottom