Amiga 30 show - Peterborough UK

mjnurney

we live as we dream. Alone.
Country
england
Region
Milton Keynes
Is anyone here attending the show (half day)

Call to Amiga fans - who is going to the Amiga30 show event in Peterborough on Sunday August 2nd.

Half Day Regular Ticket more info

*** INCLUDES AMIGA FOREVER *** The Half Day Ticket allows full access to the event from registration at 12pm until 6pm.

This timeframe will include an exclusive preview presentation (of VIVA AMIGA), a keynote speaker in the form of David Pleasance, a presentation by Trevor Dickinson, plus various talks by other Amiga VIPs.

You will be able to mingle with and talk with all the VIPs in attendance. EXCLUDES access to the VIP Banquet Dinner (from 6pm+).

Last edited:

Aysel

Country
England
Region
Mansfield
I was liking the look of this but cant quite work out what's actually happening during the day as it all seems to be about the banquet?

Are there VIP's and speeches on during the day, machines on display etc?

Is anyone here attending the show (half day)

Call to Amiga fans - who is going to the Amiga30 show event in Peterborough on Sunday August 2nd.

Half Day Regular Ticket more info

*** INCLUDES AMIGA FOREVER *** The Half Day Ticket allows full access to the event from registration at 12pm until 6pm.

This timeframe will include an exclusive preview presentation (of VIVA AMIGA), a keynote speaker in the form of David Pleasance, a presentation by Trevor Dickinson, plus various talks by other Amiga VIPs.

You will be able to mingle with and talk with all the VIPs in attendance. EXCLUDES access to the VIP Banquet Dinner (from 6pm+).

mjnurney

Country
england
Region
Milton Keynes
the half day ticket is speeches and viva amiga presentation , weather there are Amigs on show or not i don't know...

merlin1968

AmiBayer
Blogger
Country
UK
Region
Derby
I am very tempted as it's not too far for me. Maybe get a car going from the midlands? - I can take 7 for shares of the fuel (be warned though, its a diesel L/R Disco).

TCMSLP

Country
England
Region
Wiltshire
I'll be there. Amiga 30th that weekend followed by Sundown the next weekend. Can't get much better than that!

Amiga Forever

AmiBayer
Blogger
Country
UK
Region
Yorkshire
Posh Place as I been there before

Sundown? You mean Sundown Demoscene in EXETER?

Last edited:

mjnurney

Country
england
Region
Milton Keynes
I booked a while a while back for the Saturday meal VIP , and sunday afternoon speeches.

I shall be waving the amiably banner , drinking beer and talking nonsense at length... why I'm not a politician i don't know

staying at the marriott sat and sun night so plenty of time for a few beers

Last edited:

mjnurney

Country
england
Region
Milton Keynes
A few tickets are remaining boys n gals ....

The Saturday night dinner is booked up
The sunday night dinner is booked up

but the Sunday afternoon event chats and QnA's are still remaining.

Come listen to RJ Mical, David Pleasance and talk about Commodore and stories of the Amiga.

it will be good.

mike.

Special Guests include…
RJsmall2.png
RJ Mical
is a video games pioneer and living legend! He was one of the original architects of the Amiga, starting with Amiga Corporation in 1984, before going on to work for Commodore. After his time with Commodore, he went on to become a key force behind the development the Atari Lynx, 3D0, PlayStation 3 and Vita, and many others.

David Pleasance joined Commodore in 1983, and stayed with the company until the end. He rose through the ranks, occupying a number of positions within the company worldwide, until his final post as a Managing Director of Commodore UK. In 1994, David hatched an ambitious plan to buy out Commodore. He’ll be telling us all about that.
Kelly Sumner is another name that should be familiar to most. He joined Commodore in 1979 and stayed until 1993, rising through the ranks to become Managing Director of Commodore UK. He then departed for Gametek, where he became CEO; he would go on to lead Take 2 Interactive and RedOctane, developers of Grand Theft Auto and Guitar Hero.
Kieron Sumner, Commodore UK’s Commercial Manager, was responsible for professional systems – he developed the A1500. Little-known is that Kieron was involved in his ownmanagement buyout attempt of Commodore! He hatched his plot after David’s effort met a brick wall. He came very close to succeeding. He’ll be at the event to share his story.

Michael Battilana is the Founder & CEO of Cloanto, developers of the popular application Personal Paint, producers of the Amiga Forever emulation suite, and copyright holder to all versions of the AmigaOS up to 3.1. Michael is generously giving away a free copy of Amiga Forever Plus Edition to all of our show’s attendees!
JonHare.png
Jon Hare,
a very Sensible (Software) man, taught us that war can be “so much fun.” Cannon Fodder, Sensible Soccer & Golf, Wizball, Parallax, the list is too big for a tiny summary. Jon is a huge Amiga fan of many years and jumped at the chance to be a special guest for our exciting event, which is just as well as we jumped at the chance to have him, too.

Allister Brimble is another name instantly familiar to most, as well it should be! A highly talented musician, his melodies have appeared in many titles. He’s the musical maestro behind many Team 17 games including Superfrog, Alien Breed, and Project X. Little-known fact: he composed the theme tune for an indoor theme park in Abu Dhabi!
Bjørn Lynne, better known as Dr. Awesome to many, is a famous musician and composer whose ability lives up to his moniker; another former Team 17 guy, he produced about as many MODs as Fred put out Fish Disks. If you listened to MODs and had ten favourites – odds are that at least one of them was by Bjørn, and you didn’t even realise it.
Mevlut Dinç founded Vivid Image,a development firm that went on to produce Hammerfist, First Samurai, Second Samurai, and Street Racer (their most successful game.) He was one of the few developers to write a title for the ill-fated Konix Multisystem, and he also helped to co-develop the C64GS, a console version of the popular Commodore 64.
Tim Wright hails from Wales, where he is known as CoLD SToRAGE. A highly talented video game music composer, his tunes will be instantly familiar to people in the Amiga community and beyond; he worked for Psygnosis, where he wrote music for Lemmings, Shadow of the Beast 2 & 3 and many more. He went on to help found Jester Interactive.
Mike Clarke doesn’t hail from Wales, but he does share one important thing in common with Tim – he too, is a talented video game music composer who worked for Psygnosis! He wrote the tunes for many famous games, including Lemmings 2, Lemmings Paintball (yes, there really was a Lemmings Paintball!), WipEout 3/64, Microcosm, and more.

Mystery Guest No. 1 played a highly significant and noteworthy role bringing the Amiga community together in the UK, and represents an important aspect of the Amiga story, often overlooked these days, which we feel it’s very important to cover. Who he is, and what he represents… we’ll tell you later!

Mystery Guest No. 2 is an ex-Commodorian. He also worked under Amiga Technologies UK for a time. He went on to found another computer manufacturing company, making a system closely associated to the Amiga. We’ll take off his cardboard box one we’re sure it’s safe to unveil him to the world. He’s not quite ready yet.
Mystery Guest No. 3 is yet another ex-Commodorian (did we mention we wanted to reunite as many of the old Commodore UK people as possible? No? Well, we did. That’s why there are so many of them here.) Anyway, Mystery Guest No. 3worked for Commodore UK and Amiga Technologies UK before moving to a well-known games software developer and being given a rather impressive sounding title.
Mystery Guest No. 4: A representative (or three) from the UK Amiga demo scene will be joining us (we hope) to talk about, er, the demo scene, and the role it played in bringing together lots of people with unique skills to create impressive multimedia festivals, demo packs, music packs and all sorts of other fun, cool things for the rest of us to enjoy.

More to come, we’re sure…

Last edited:

mjnurney

Country
england
Region
Milton Keynes
well I'm back from the show and what a great event it was.

Steve Crietzman was awesome and he did a great job of organising the event - so a big well done to him. The show almost didn't happen because a funding pledge never came but RJ stepped in an paid for his own flights so he could attend the show.
We mostly met up in the hotel bar around 5 and had a few drinks , i owed David Pleasance a pint or two and we introduced each other and waited for the taxis to the curry house.

The Saturday night curry was a great ice breaker and a chance to get to meet and to chat with the VIPs and of course to consume too much beer - I'm looking at you Trevor Dickinson and that damn cobra beer!

Far too many beers were consumed and great debates were had , Commodores mismanagement and the amount of money that they wasted in the later years is truly shocking. Hiring PC guys and letting Amiga engineers go ...whats that all about.

We then head back to the hotel - 20 mins in a taxi and just long enough between toilet breaks, many more drinks in the hotel bar and more conversations and what if stories , the failed UK buy out and the poorly structured but successful german buy out.

Sunday morning brought hangovers and a buffet breakfast (very nice) the event started little late at 12:30 or so and carried on until 6:00pm , the evening meal ticket holders then had a meal and extend talks with RJ and other VIPs.

all in all an awesome event and very well done. i have lots of pics on my camera - i forgot my phone charger

A big shout out to the following outstanding VIPs

RJ - well just because its RJ
David Pleasance happy to chat and a nice guy
and of course everyone else at the show

mike.

Aysel

Country
England
Region
Mansfield
Was a fantastic event, some great stories and just chatting with the people who I spent my childhood reading about in Amiga Format and the like was just surreal :D

David Pleasance was excellent, RJ is every bit the character he was on the videos from 30 years ago but the highlight for me was chatting with François Lionet creator of Amos, he was absolutely hilarious!

I managed to grab some photos.... here if anyone fancies a look :D

http://urbecks.com/archives/2034

robin-elvin

Country
UK
Region
Greater Manchester
I was there too! Chatted to mjnurney a bit before the Sunday afternoon event. I got RJ and David Pleasance to sign my A500. I also got RJ to sign my Atari Lynx.

Then I went on to have the evening dinner event sitting on the same table as RJ, Francois Lionet and Mike Battilana - it was awesome. Got to ask RJ a few questions and had a few chats with him later. He even bought me a drink at the bar later at about 2am - how cool is that?

There was a second charity auction of items that they didn't have time to auction earlier in the day. I managed to win Allister Brimble's CD32 which had been signed by all the VIPs on the day. That must be a pretty rare item :)

Evening entertainment by Tim Wright, Mike Clarke, Jon Hare and Andrew Barnabas. Bagged a final chat and signature on my Cannon Fodder box from Jon Hare.

What a day!

Top Bottom