Amiga 3D cards - any good?

mjnurney

we live as we dream. Alone.
Country
england
Region
Milton Keynes
hello all,

Advice help and general info required please...

Are any of these cards of any use in modern use? i.e OS 3.9 / gaming / 3d work?

(zorro amiga 4000) in my case..

Picasso 2
Picasso 3 / 4 with or without scan doubler
Cybervision
Cybervision 3D
(any other ive missed...)

or is the better solution Pci and 3dfx ?

thank you...

Templar

In Finem Vobis Videtur De Christiana
VIP
Country
Hellas
Region
Cydonia
From the aforementioned gfx cards, only the CyberVision64 3D has Warp3D and CyberVisionPPC as well (but you must have a PPC accelerator card too for this one).

PicassoIV is a great card to be honest. Too bad it's not 3D.

I wouldn't mess with PCI and such stuff. A real Amiga uses its Zorro slots. (y)

Kin Hell

Banned
Country
U.K.
Region
Cornwall
ddni is right, but it really depends on which side of the fence you want to stand on.

PCI FTW yes, but what if you want those basic Amiga Screen modes for the odd gaming now & then?

Best combo is a Picasso IV with Flicker Fixer to one Amiga Syncing monitor & a Voodoo 3/4/5 off the PCI. Unfortunatey, The Elbox 4000Di does not have a Video Slot, so you'd need a DCE Internal FF/SD for the A4KD. If your willing to hack the A4KD into a tower, then the Elbox 4000D does include a Video Slot & would be gagging for a Picasso IV.
Whilst Elbox is slick, if you want the Mutt's Nuts, get an A4KD with a G-REX 4000D & CSMKIII/CSPPC. A 100 Ethernet card on Elbox Mediator PCI is total arse compared to a 10 Ethernet on G-REX4000D/CSMKIII/CSPPC rig. The graphic display update on G-REX is also very impressive. It's just an awesome experience. :bowdown:

Kin

mjnurney

Country
england
Region
Milton Keynes
im impressed with the speed of Quake ! ...this means i need PPc in my 4000, Pci, voodoo 3....££££

i see quake 2 , wipeout, shogo is also on the Amiga but PPc only obviously.

Templar

In Finem Vobis Videtur De Christiana
VIP
Country
Hellas
Region
Cydonia
Wipeout 2097 and Shogo are PPC only.

Fieldday

Country
Germany
Region
Swabia
Hi,
I think best GFX combo on classic Amiga is Cybervision 64 or Piccolo SD64 with Indivision 4000 flickerfixer. Both GFX card are directly synchronous connected via VLB Bus to Amiga´s Zorro bus system. Other cards are maybe newer but they need for use a PCI bridge so bus runs asyncronous to the zorro bus. That reason costs speed :)

Best regards

FD

Kin Hell

Banned
Country
U.K.
Region
Cornwall
@Kin

Hi.... Radeon boards 9200/9250 works on G-Rex?

Thanks

Never tried m8. Always Voodoo & Picasso IV for me.

If you read here: Linky ....there are two links at the bottom both not mentioning Radeon support. G-REX support are still active, so an Email would easily clarify. Might be worth talking to Arnljot about it too. He might have been using an Elbox solution at the time though. I can't remember for sure. :|

All the Best.

Kin

merlinkv

Country
Ukraine
Region
Kyiv
OK

Radeons are good RTG boards (without 3D, of course). But have problems with A4000Di.... on "Mediatorized" A1200 works great.

With new drivers, fresh installation, updated P96, etc...... Sometimes works, sometimes not.... Mediator 4000Di recognizes all PCI boards, but starting P96 system crashes, freezes, ramlib .....:(

I read on other posts about a problem exists with all Mediator boards, Z3 Amigas & Radeon's. I don't know.... I need to collect (in few days, I think...) all the boards I bought for my A4000D TProject and test Radeon's with the Mediator A4000D.....

But looking the possibilities of the G-Rex 4000D I will try to buy one for my A4kD

Thanks (y)

---------- Post added at 08:38 ---------- Previous post was at 08:32 ----------

@Kin Hell

Oh! maybe bad news for me........

No way to my A4kD?.... After reading here http://grex.amigaworld.de/index.php?lang=en&page=17 I need a CSPPC or CSMK-III?.... My A4kD is a CSMK-II....:(

Thanks again (y)

fitzsteve

Retired Slacker
AmiBayer
Blogger
Country
UK
Region
Sevenoaks
+1 for Voodoo Setup, I finally got Warp3D working yesterday on both my Voodoo3 and Voodoo5 (surprisingly no difference in performance between the two) Quake 2 is awsome in GL :bowdown::bowdown::bowdown:

merlinkv

Country
Ukraine
Region
Kyiv
@fitzsteve

Hi again m8 (y)

Good news!!! I have two Voodoo3 3000 waiting ........ :D

fitzsteve

Retired Slacker
AmiBayer
Blogger
Country
UK
Region
Sevenoaks
@fitzsteve

Hi again m8 (y)

Good news!!! I have two Voodoo3 3000 waiting ........ :D

You should be ok with Warp3D on the A4000 as well since my problem was that the Mediator CD install script copies he files for A4000 and not A1200 :Doh:

Look forward to seeing your updated in your other thread (y)

Steve.

mjnurney

Country
england
Region
Milton Keynes
@fitzsteve what setup do you have ? your A4000 is towered isnt it?

im thinking of Pci for my 4000D and voodoo 3 , i also need ppc of some sort . As ive just got it working its a standard 030@25 at the mo...

id post pics but im sure its the same as thousands of other 4000D's

oh - Deneb on order, so at least i can copy files over from my mac by usb yay :)

---------- Post added at 19:17 ---------- Previous post was at 19:15 ----------

my ideal system would a Quake 2 enabled setup - so i can say , yeah the Amiga could do this in 1994...

(not mentioning the expense and Pci parts of course)

fitzsteve

Retired Slacker
AmiBayer
Blogger
Country
UK
Region
Sevenoaks
@mjnurney

I have A1200 Tower with Blizzard PPC, Mediator 1200SX, Voodoo5.

My A4000 is Desktop with Apollo 4040 and PicassoIV. :cool:

Quake 2 in Warp3D is running on the A1200T, check out my youtube page:

http://www.youtube.com/user/fitzsteve

Latest vid is Quake 2 running in GL (y)

Kin Hell

Banned
Country
U.K.
Region
Cornwall
<snip>

@Kin Hell

Oh! maybe bad news for me........

No way to my A4kD?.... After reading here http://grex.amigaworld.de/index.php?lang=en&page=17 I need a CSPPC or CSMK-III?.... My A4kD is a CSMK-II....:(

Thanks again (y)

Yes m8y. You need to have a CSMKIII or a CSPPC for the G-REX to interface with. G-REX 4000D's are hard to come by. There are only 87 of them Registered on my earlier link. IIRC, doctorq was selling a faulty one over @ A.org a while back.

Also, rkauer confirms there are no drivers for ATI on G-REX (as I thought, but a while back now) so perhaps best not to bother wasting Arnljot's time asking him. ;)

All the best.

Kin

Top Bottom