Amiga 4000: installing WarpEngine/A3640

Flink

Country
Portugal
Region
Vale de Cambra
Hi!

My A4000 is working nicely now, but I want to test my WarpEngine 33MHz. I can't find the A4000 manual on the net, can you point me to one?

I just want to know if I need to change something to the board when passing from the 030 to the Warp or A3640.

I've tryed the Warp briefly, but the machine doesn't seem to boot; reverting to the 030, everything works fine.

Thanks!

davideo

I look like Gizmo
Staff member
Administrator
Staff Moderator
Treasurer
Blogger
Country
UK
Region
Boston, Lincs
Oscar

I've got the manual here but I'm about to go out.

If you haven't found the answer by the time I get back I'll have a look for you.

IIRC you need to swap the CPU connectors on the MB

Dave G :cool:

Kin Hell

Banned
Country
U.K.
Region
Cornwall
davideo is right. :nod:

You need to set two Jumpers on the mobo. There are 2 sets of 3 Pin Jumpers labelled JP100 & JP104 marked INT & EXT. You will find them between the CPU connector & the ZORRO board & in front of the IDE Header by a few inches towards the front of the Miggy's mobo. You must set JP100 & JP104 to EXT when using the WarpEngine.

Be sure to support the WarpEngine card with those plastic stand-offs on the ZORRO side of the card.
Also make sure the jumper config is right for the ram installed. There are specific settings for different speed modules & tbh, you should be using 60ns to get the best performance from it.

Enjoy & all the best. (y)

Kin

Flink

Country
Portugal
Region
Vale de Cambra
Hi people!

Thanks for your help! I didn't find the A4000 manual , but I found a userguide- I've tried with the EXT jumper settings, but there is only a black screen on boot...

I've got 32MB on the WE, two 16MB SIMMs (one single sided and the other double sided). I've used it in the past with these SIMMs, so they should be OK. The motherboard has 4 4Mb SIMMs, wich I did not remove. Should I? I haven't seen anything on the manual stating you had to remove them, but my old A4000 had nothing on the motherboard RAM.

I really love to see my WarpEngine working again...

Thanks!

davideo

I look like Gizmo
Staff member
Administrator
Staff Moderator
Treasurer
Blogger
Country
UK
Region
Boston, Lincs
Oscar

You can leave the onboard RAM in. I have and my WARP runs fine with a full load of RAM.

Check your jumper settings for the RAM you've got fitted.

Email on its way to you ;)

Dave G :cool:

Flink

Country
Portugal
Region
Vale de Cambra
WOoooha... :woot:

Oh boy, oh boy, oh boy! :drool:

My WarpEngine ROCKS! (y)

My A4000 has just been given a new lease of life! It's so much quicker I still can't believe what a difference it makes!

I am soooooooo in love! :inlove:

I left most of the RAM (12MB) in the motherboard slots, and AmigaOS is counting it all up. I've also got a 16MB SIMM in the Warp, wich adds up to a whooping 28 MB.

From what I've read in the manual, I get a pretty nice speedup by using RAM on the Warp, so should I just move it all there? Also, I believe the system wouldn't "boot" (at least show the "insert floppy" screen and the TMB boot menu) if I didn't connect the floppy, HD and CDROM. Is this normal?

For now I'll just leave it as it is, I want to enjoy the machine a bit before I go experimenting again! :)

Next I'll be putting my old Quantum Fireball and CD-ROM on the SCSI chain!

Thanks for your help!

rkauer

Amiga fanboy
Country
Brazil
Region
São Leopoldo, RS
Grab four 32Mb 60ns SIMM sticks and keep the onboard RAM.

Also reserve some bucks to grab a ZoRAM from Amigakit and you'll be in Amiga heaven.

Top Bottom