Acceleration!
Treasurer
Rating - 100%
107   0   0
Country
UK
Region
Southampton
I've decided that I want to do a proper job of my A4000 tower project, so I'd like to get a hold of a fully-working rev. D A4000 desktop board. This is the "cost-reduced" version with a soldered 68030 and socketed Super Buster 11.

:thanks:

Kin Hell

Banned
Rating - 100%
48   0   0
Country
U.K.
Region
Cornwall
That's a long shot Andy & I hope you can find one. These versions are few & far between. :|

Kin

T_Hairy_Bootson

Workbitch 1.3
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
Country
Australia
Region
Melbourne
Can I ask why the cost reduced version is preferred for the tower project?

Is it personal preference? the on board 030? or is there some benefit to using this version motherboard?

I am just curious. :)

AndyLandy

Acceleration!
Treasurer
Rating - 100%
107   0   0
Country
UK
Region
Southampton

Is it personal preference? the on board 030? or is there some benefit to using this version motherboard?

Actually, I suspect a normal Rev. D board would do just as well. It's principally the socketed Buster 11 I'm after, but soldered ChipRAM and 68030 would be nice to have.

Kin Hell

Banned
Rating - 100%
48   0   0
Country
U.K.
Region
Cornwall

Actually, I suspect a normal Rev. D board would do just as well. It's principally the socketed Buster 11 I'm after, but soldered ChipRAM and 68030 would be nice to have.

Actually Andy, you mean a Rev B board.

Only the Rev D Cr Boards had the onboard CPU & FPU socket, along with surface mounted Chip Ram & a Coin Battery. (y)

Even if you picked up a fully functional & good condition Rev B board with a scoketed Buster 9, you could flip it & toss a Rev 11 Buster in there anytime you could find one. Buster 9 will only cause you problems if you use a ZORRO III card that requires DMA. Such cards were mainly ZORRO III SCSI cards which require DMA to function correctly, so unless you were planning on fitting a C= A4091 or a Z3 Fastlane, don't be overly worried about it. Deneb is another matter if memory serves me right. ;)

Kin

PS. In 1992, Wang re-called thousands of boards for surface mounted Rev 9 busters to be re-worked. Some slipped the net though meaning if you're offered a board with a surface mounted Rev 9 Buster, it's probably one of the first released A4KD boards. Flux Masters could perhaps do the re-work anyways.

Last edited:

Zetr0

Ya' Like it Retr0?
Rating - 100%
137   0   0
Country
UK
Region
Norfolk
I have wanted a Rev D Cr for a long time, my plan was to make a 15.4"/17" laptop out of it.

great for miggy meets =)

AndyLandy

Acceleration!
Treasurer
Rating - 100%
107   0   0
Country
UK
Region
Southampton
The board I currently have is one of Chiark's old ones, it's a Rev. C with a soldered Buster 9. It also needs some love, I'm currently trying to fix up the mouse port (you have to hold the connector in at an angle to make it work, so I suspect a dry joint) but it's got a couple of other issues, too. I'll give it some more work, I might not need a Buster 11 to be honest, most of the cards I have are Zorro II anyway.

rkauer

Amiga fanboy
Rating - 100%
109   0   0
Country
Brazil
Region
São Leopoldo, RS
I have a Buster 11 here desoldered from a dead A4k that you might have, mate.

But I think you need my good friend Zetr0 to do the job for you. Only guarantee is if the chip is not DOA.

I was saving it for my A3000.

Zetr0

Ya' Like it Retr0?
Rating - 100%
137   0   0
Country
UK
Region
Norfolk

But I think you need my good friend Zetr0 to do the job for you. Only guarantee is if the chip is not DOA.

I have no qualms helping out,

I apprecaite we have some issues Andy but I wouldn't want you to miss out on an opportunity.

I could de-solder the original chip and solder a socket on for you.

just pay for return postage and its sorted m8.

AndyLandy

Acceleration!
Treasurer
Rating - 100%
107   0   0
Country
UK
Region
Southampton

I have no qualms helping out,

I apprecaite we have some issues Andy but I wouldn't want you to miss out on an opportunity.

I could de-solder the original chip and solder a socket on for you.

just pay for return postage and its sorted m8.

That's incredibly kind of you, Keith. I might take you up on that. For the moment, I need to figure out what's up with the mouse port. My first attempt has been unsuccessful, so I might have to fully-remove the port and re-solder it. This is turning out to be harder than I thought it would.

The good news is that I've managed to swap some LEDs round on my various Chinon floppy drives, so they're all looking nice and swish now. :)

rkauer

Amiga fanboy
Rating - 100%
109   0   0
Country
Brazil
Region
São Leopoldo, RS
I checked the Amiga Hardware Database and notice I can't upgrade the Buster on my 16MHz A3000, so it is up for grabs.

I just want £5 for it, plus postage. Remember that postage is hideous expensive when things go out Banana Land.

AndyLandy

Acceleration!
Treasurer
Rating - 100%
107   0   0
Country
UK
Region
Southampton
I checked the Amiga Hardware Database and notice I can't upgrade the Buster on my 16MHz A3000, so it is up for grabs.

I just want £5 for it, plus postage. Remember that postage is hideous expensive when things go out Banana Land.

How hideous is hideous? :)

I'm very tempted, but I'd like to make sure the A4000 board isn't a lost cause first. Aside from the mouseport issues I'm having, Chiark also tells me the onboard IDE is dead, the audio is possibly flaky and we don't know if the RTC works or not. It would seem wasteful to put a Buster 11 on a board where the mouse doesn't work. :)

rkauer

Amiga fanboy
Rating - 100%
109   0   0
Country
Brazil
Region
São Leopoldo, RS
Hideous: R$80 (~£30!) for a less-than-500g (half a kilo) from here to elsewhere in the world. May be a bit less, but not much.

As for the mouse port: I think this is only a case of reflux the solder joints.

AndyLandy

Acceleration!
Treasurer
Rating - 100%
107   0   0
Country
UK
Region
Southampton
Right, I'm making a pig's ear out of this A4000 motherboard, time to put the soldering iron down!

I've managed to solder three of the pins together now :-(

I'll take the board in to work tomorrow and see if one of our Level 10 solder techs can resurrect it.

Merlin

Ministry of Retr0bright and Street Judge
VIP
Rating - 100%
38   0   0
Country
UK
Region
Manchester
@Andy

Mouseport issues are usually down to a dodgy CIA chip, at least that's the case on A500s. Try swapping the CIAs over to see if the fault follows the chip. If the mouse suddenly works OK with the swapped chip then you know what's wrong.

I have a couple of spare CIAs from an A600 board I stripped down if you need them and if they are compatible.

(y)

AndyLandy

Acceleration!
Treasurer
Rating - 100%
107   0   0
Country
UK
Region
Southampton
@Andy

Mouseport issues are usually down to a dodgy CIA chip, at least that's the case on A500s. Try swapping the CIAs over to see if the fault follows the chip. If the mouse suddenly works OK with the swapped chip then you know what's wrong.

I have a couple of spare CIAs from an A600 board I stripped down if you need them and if they are compatible.

(y)

Cheers, Merlin. Although if I can't resolder a dodgy mouseport, I don't fancy my chances at SMD!

AndyLandy

Acceleration!
Treasurer
Rating - 100%
107   0   0
Country
UK
Region
Southampton
OK, I've had enough of this A4000 board. It looks like either the floppy controller is also dead, or one or both of my Chinon FB-357As is dead.

I'm getting very, very tired of this. :-(

So, change of direction.

WANTED: Completely working A4000D motherboard. Don't mind too much about revision, but socketed Buster/Buster 11 is a plus. Money waiting for the right example! Someone must have one they're parting with!

Once I've got a working board, this one'll go back into the wild for one of you poor unfortunate souls to pick up!

Kin Hell

Banned
Rating - 100%
48   0   0
Country
U.K.
Region
Cornwall
Just cut your losses here Andy & send the board to Anthony Hoffman in New Zealand.

If you contact hime via Email, he'll probably be able to diagnose all your problems before you even decide to send it to him. ;)

Kin

AndyLandy

Acceleration!
Treasurer
Rating - 100%
107   0   0
Country
UK
Region
Southampton
Just cut your losses here Andy & send the board to Anthony Hoffman in New Zealand.

If you contact hime via Email, he'll probably be able to diagnose all your problems before you even decide to send it to him. ;)

Kin

To be honest, I just swung myself a Fastlane Z3 on the Other Bay for a pretty reasonable price, so I'm going to need a Super Buster 11 anyway. At this point, I'm not sure it's going to be economical to repair this board.

Still, I'll drop Anthony a line, see what he reckons about it. Whatever happens, it'd be nice to see the board resurrected, even if I end up selling it on, at least it's another living Amiga. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom