Amiga 500 randomly crashing

dougal

AmiBayer
Country
Malta
My A500 is causing random crashes. It will be working normal, like playing a game and then it just freezes. I reboot and the screens change grey and then black and loads of horizontal coloured lines jumping and on occasion the drive (Gotek) tries to read.

Reboot hardly ever helps. I need to switch the Amiga off and after some time I hear what sounds like a whistle from the speakers of the monitor. It sounds sort of like something powering down or a squeeky door hinge, cant explain.

Switching off the Amiga for some time helps but the problem will return again.

Specs: A500 REV6 with 1MB chipram hack. A501 ram expansion. ECS denise, Gotek with cortex rev 1.05 A firmware. Also has a kickstart switcher connected to the odd CIA.

I've tried replacing the trapdoor ram expansio but same problem.

I took a crappy video showing what its doing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5qwmdwEQWU4

Last edited:

mjnurney

we live as we dream. Alone.
Country
england
Region
Milton Keynes
Make sure all the chips are in the socket properly and then change the power pack :)

dougal

AmiBayer
Country
Malta
I've already checked the that the chips are properly socketed but i've double checked again now :)

So far its working well. If it does it again i'll try another power brick, though even my expanded A1200 worked fine with it and its a "light" A500 brick.

Could it also be the kickstart switcher ? The flat cable from the switcher to the CIA daughter board is damaged but still works.

Make sure all the chips are in the socket properly and then change the power pack :)

mjnurney

we live as we dream. Alone.
Country
england
Region
Milton Keynes
The easiest thing to do is to put it back to stock and run it , if good add your parts until it breaks ... Light psu's can be a problem but then they are getting old

dougal

AmiBayer
Country
Malta
Seems to be working fine for now.. Touch wood.

Maybe the chips needed that extra push down.

Top Bottom