Amiga aftermarket keycaps - feedback?

YouKnowWho

Country
Canada
Region
Ontario
Many of us have wanted a black Amiga. There was spray painting and then precious black keycaps from the CDTV keyboards. But recently of course we've had the cases and few months back the keycaps became available. I picked up two sets of black US a while back. Coincidentally a friend recently was telling me he heard bad stories about the quality of the replacement keycaps.

My personal experience with these has been good. They look good. Snapped in well. Hold well. Few little details on them like the lower right enter had a of plastic from the moulding process on the outside edge that I had to clip off and it left a little circle, and the third button from the right on second row from the bottom is missing the period print on the keyboard. But thanks to these I'm able to achieve a totally black and also the VIC20 look on my 1200. Overall, I have no complaints, and put quality at a very high 99% so far.

Any truth to issues with these new reproduction keycaps? Has anyone had quality inconsistencies? Since I just put them on relatively recently, any issues to longevity or wear and tear?

Attachments

• Amiga1200BlackKeys.jpg
    Amiga1200BlackKeys.jpg
    157.5 KB · Views: 35

Karlosjackel

Country
UK
Region
Gloucester
I got some last year, but yeah, similar to yourself, I would put the whole finish at about 95%.

The underside guides were too tight (where the springs fit) on the bigger keys and I had to slightly enlarge the underside guide holes and use a smear of PTFE spray.

I noted that the plastic weighed lighter - possible that the density of the plastic is different to the original, and the legend was slightly off - But hey, whatcha gonna do?
I was pleased with the end finish, but that 5%... I will try another brand next time for comparison.

btp

Country
Greece
Region
Thessaloniki
I was pleased with the end finish, but that 5%... I will try another brand next time for comparison.
Is there other brand beyond A1200.net that produces Mitsumi hybrid compatible Amiga keycaps?

Karlosjackel

Country
UK
Region
Gloucester
I've just seen a YouTube video from Jan Beta... Building a new A2000 keyboard... Very smart too...

Keys from WASD...?

I will be researching those guys tonight :)

I think there is another in the US I've seen elsewhere.. brain has gone into "HALT" status...

Karlosjackel

Country
UK
Region
Gloucester
Try this one instead...

btp

Country
Greece
Region
Thessaloniki
Thanks for the link and info!

Not saying that A1200.net keycaps are cheap but buying all necessary electronics as well as other components and custom keycaps from WASD becomes even more expensive!

Another issue that this solution does not address is the fitting of the keyboard to an existing Amiga case. It seems suitable only for building external Amiga compatible keyboards.

Karlosjackel

Country
UK
Region
Gloucester
The Amiga keycaps from WASD were designed to fit Cherry Mx switches I believe... It's an option anyway. At this time, I don't have a high-end Amiga to build one for :)

YouKnowWho

Country
Canada
Region
Ontario
I got some last year, but yeah, similar to yourself, I would put the whole finish at about 95%.

The underside guides were too tight (where the springs fit) on the bigger keys and I had to slightly enlarge the underside guide holes and use a smear of PTFE spray.

I noted that the plastic weighed lighter - possible that the density of the plastic is different to the original, and the legend was slightly off - But hey, whatcha gonna do?
Yup Karlosjackel, I also noticed the slight weight difference. Obviously they had to make a choice on the plastic type, and it didn't match perfectly. I could have weighed the ones I put on and the ones I took off for the difference.. Maybe I'll do it when I install the second keyboard. But now that they are installed, I'm not sure I'm noticing a difference in actual use. Space bar was one key where weight was really noticeable because of the size, but not after install.

I had no issues with installation. But there was one other issue on the 1200 install, the little under-white-brackets for the wire-hinged keys, the kit is one pair short, so it needed to be removed from the old key. I guess those are extras anyway.

95% or 99% to perfection, that's pretty good. Keycaps really were one of the most wanted things for Amigas, so it's nice A1200.net did it. But indeed, the are not perfect. Just like the A1200.net 1200 cases with the floppy button that can't be used. Perfection is hard. :)

Karlosjackel

Country
UK
Region
Gloucester
IMHO I think the keys are a good replacement in comparison to the faded ones of yesteryear. There's an old saying here: "You don't look at the mantel when you're poking the fireplace". For +£70ish I got a full new set - And I wanted a black Edition Amiga A500... So Win Win. I agree, perfection is hard!

Looking forward to when A1200.net will release a coloured A1200 case - Such as the CD32-themed one - But the patina of the original A1200 case would go well with some sparkly new keys... As mentioned before, I do like your black keys/white case styling there @YouKnowWho

Xanxi

AmiBayer
Blogger
Country
France
Region
Paris
I got some keycaps sets and cases from A1200.net (not Kickstarter), and i had no issue, they are fine. The plug of the keycaps where slighlty shorter than the one of my genuine A4000 keyboards, so in conjonction with the original rubber cups used with these ones (not springs like for the A1200 and A600), the key course is a bit shorter than normal, but not a problem.
Thanks to A1200.net i could modify all my foreign keyboards to regular AZERTY french keyboards.
However, that means i also had to change all the grey keycaps (function, etc) to match the key course.

YouKnowWho

Country
Canada
Region
Ontario
IMHO I think the keys are a good replacement in comparison to the faded ones of yesteryear. There's an old saying here: "You don't look at the mantel when you're poking the fireplace". For +£70ish I got a full new set - And I wanted a black Edition Amiga A500... So Win Win. I agree, perfection is hard!

Looking forward to when A1200.net will release a coloured A1200 case - Such as the CD32-themed one - But the patina of the original A1200 case would go well with some sparkly new keys... As mentioned before, I do like your black keys/white case styling there @YouKnowWho
It's a good combo. I am pleased with the result. You know how it is with the 1200, they seem to have ever so slightly different hues, which you learn when you try to match different tops and bottoms. I have two that aren't yellowed, but have this uniform slightly darker coffee hue, which adds to the VIC-20 look. I think the photo shows it. I have moments were after MISTer floppy comes out, I want to put a MISTer DE10 Nano into this case, give this Amiga some fancy emulation functionality inside of classic looks.

Regarding other colour cases. When I was ordering the keycaps, I asked A1200.net about cases in other colours and they told me that cases are only available from resellers, and grey is one of the colours out there, but you have to figure out what reseller has what colour by looking around.

Boing-ball

AmiBayer
Blogger
Country
United Kingdom
Region
London
It's a good combo. I am pleased with the result. You know how it is with the 1200, they seem to have ever so slightly different hues, which you learn when you try to match different tops and bottoms. I have two that aren't yellowed, but have this uniform slightly darker coffee hue, which adds to the VIC-20 look. I think the photo shows it. I have moments were after MISTer floppy comes out, I want to put a MISTer DE10 Nano into this case, give this Amiga some fancy emulation functionality inside of classic looks.

Regarding other colour cases. When I was ordering the keycaps, I asked A1200.net about cases in other colours and they told me that cases are only available from resellers, and grey is one of the colours out there, but you have to figure out what reseller has what colour by looking around.
Grey cases can be bought from Amigastore.eu

when they have them in stock.

Watson

Forth Year Navvie
Staff member
Staff Moderator
Blogger
Country
England
Region
Nottingham
retro8bitshop.com also sell the A1200.net keycaps.

Karlosjackel

Country
UK
Region
Gloucester
Well, that's interesting! My dear A1200 is made outta bits saved from the internet - the case is in great condition, but the keys, I'm going to copy @YouKnowWho :) #sorrynotsorry ;D

I have a ReAmiga which I started, and will eventually need a case. So if I can implant her into a stunning A1200.net case, that would be just perfect :)

btp

Country
Greece
Region
Thessaloniki
Currently the availability of A1200.net cases for the 1200 seems very limited to non existent.
I hope they will be able to restock the various resellers soon.

Boing-ball

AmiBayer
Blogger
Country
United Kingdom
Region
London
Currently the availability of A1200.net cases for the 1200 seems very limited to non existent.
I hope they will be able to restock the various resellers soon.
I remember it being like this last year. It will probably be around Feb 2024 at a guess Before new stocks arrive.

YouKnowWho

Country
Canada
Region
Ontario
Weird that there is a shortage. As if there is a spike in Christmas buying, which is weird. Do we like to pretend that Santa brought it for us?

Would be nice is A1200.net would solve that floppy button problem on these 1200 cases.

@ Watson - didn't know about retro8bitshop.com. Now I have an urge to spray paint a 1084 black and get a decal set. Oooh...that would be an awesome case for A1200.net to do - black replacement enclosure. That's never happening for sure!

bozzerbigd

Country
UK
Region
The Midlands
I learnt to love my original A1200 case! I'm just glad it survived all the opening over the last 7 months configuring the SD card on my PiStorm. I have a PCMCIA transfer solution now which should mean I don't have to open it for a while.

Top Bottom