Amiga IDE CD ROM q's...

desiv

work in progress...
Country
USA
Region
Salem Oregon
OK, no rush on this one, as I don't think I'll be digging in right away, but...

I have my Amiga 1200. It has an internal IDE HD.
I'm going to replace that with a CF card.

Now, I have, sitting right here, a CD-224E IDE drive, and it already has an adapter for a 44 pin IDE cable on it (I believe, will make sure, but it looks like it, well, it IS 44 pins, and I'm assuming so far that it's standard).

So, can I just get a new 44-pin IDE cable for 2 drives and hook both of these up? (assuming the adapter I have is 44-pin IDE)?
(I realize there might be a slave/master issue, which I understand I should be able to get around with a solder jump) Can the inernal Amiga 1200 IDE adapter/power handle 2 drives?

I am guessing that the CF card and low profile CD ROM will draw less power than the current IDE drive I have?

Also, I've seen some people say that some games which use CD audio don't play audio since these drives don't have analog audio out.
I have a PDF that says pins 1,2 and 3 on the CD interface (not the IDE interface) are L,R and GND for audio. So, theoretically, could I (well, could someone who is able) pull some wires from those pins and run them to the Amiga's L and R audio RCA ports?

And finally, is it worth it?

I've seen some people do this type of mod, and it's very nice looking, but do you think there's any real use for a CD on an Amiga 1200? (apart from the "cuz it can be done", which is valid.. :) )

Just trying to get a feel for where I should prioritize this project. :roll:

Thanx,

desiv

Justin

Country
United Kingdom
Region
UK
personally, yes, i use a cd drive all the time with IDEfix '97, because blank cds are so cheap i use them to move data from the pc to the miggy, i also use it to run cover disc cds and to run cd32 stuff

Last edited:

jvdbossc

HypnusBE
Country
Belgium
Region
Antwerp (province)
ide cdrom

ide cdrom

I don't think it is recommended to use a second device on the A1200 port, I remember some issues, about buffers, atapi etc.. Alway's used an ide-fix97 buffered splitter cart in the past..

But wait untill some more advanced technical user bumps in before you buy..

rkauer

Amiga fanboy
Country
Brazil
Region
São Leopoldo, RS
Yes, the A1200 port is not buffered, but still is OK for internal devices.

A CD (not a CD-RW) is only useful for playing music CD's (duh!) or playing CD32 titles. A CD224W is a better acquisition in my POW (writes in up 4x and read in 24x). DVD units are a bit of overkill.

That said from a guy which is using a DVD writer in his A1200T! BTW: no IDEfix Express.

Top Bottom