Not open for further replies.

Templar

In Finem Vobis Videtur De Christiana
VIP
Country
Hellas
Region
Cydonia
Oh well, Amiga has a lot of office tools back in the past, so I wanted to know, which one is the best for you, from these kinds below:

1. Word Processor or Word Publisher
2. DTP
3. Database
4. Spreadsheet
5. Accounts Manager

If I'm missing something, please add it. Thanks.

SaGaiA

AmiBayer
Country
UK
Region
West Yorkshire
The Word Processor of choice for me has to be Wordworth 6.

True Type Fonts and an effective interface. Still use it now and again :D

arnljot

Dad, gamer, nerd, amigian
Country
Oslo
Region
Oslo
Final Writer 97 for me.

It´s very good.

Harrison

Country
UK
Region
West Sussex
The programs and versions I used are as follows. I know some newer versions exist since, but I've not used Amiga's for business or any serious stuff since 1998.

Wordworth 7

I also used Cygnus Editor for text only files.

2. DTP

Pagesteam 3

3. Database

Superbase

4. Spreadsheet

TurboCalc

5. Accounts Manager

I did use one back in the Amiga days but I can't remember what it was called. Might have been "Home Accounts". I did use Digita Organizer for a bit.

rkauer

Amiga fanboy
Country
Brazil
Region
São Leopoldo, RS
1. The same as Arnljot.
2. Never used one in any system.
3. Just old one to store CD names. Don't remember the name, was too long ago.
4. None in Amiga era...
5. Same as #2.

I used Organizer on Amiga, too. But not as an account manager.

BTW: used both Lotus Organizer on peecee and Digita one on the A1200. Lovely piece of software.

woodycool

Amiga enthusiast!
Country
Northampton, UK
Region
Northamptonshire, UK

Final Writer 97

2. DTP

Pagesteam 3

3. Database

Superbase

4. Spreadsheet

ProCalc (came FOC with CU Amiga magazine :LOL:)

5. Accounts Manager

Home Accounts (I'd alrady been using the Amstrad CPC version, so thought it best to stick with the same product when I 'upgraded' to the Amiga)

Harrison

Country
UK
Region
West Sussex
ProCalc, I did use that one also. Couldn't think of the name before.

Merlin

Ministry of Retr0bright and Street Judge
VIP
Country
UK
Region
Manchester
I always thought that Protext was very good if you wanted speed and didn't mind not having a WYSIWYG interface. I have also used Wordworth, Final Copy II / Final Writer and Pagestream and I found that they were all extremely capable programs long before the PC caught up.

I didn't use any spreadsheet, home accounts or database software on the Amiga so I can't comment.

Harrison

Country
UK
Region
West Sussex
Pagestream remained a favourite DTP program of mine for years, even after learning QuarkXpress. It wasn't until Adobe released InDesign that I finally found something better. Although I've never tried the newer PC versions of Pagestream, so it might still be worth using.

Templar

VIP
Country
Hellas
Region
Cydonia
Which version of PageStream was the last for Amiga? 5.0?

woodycool

Amiga enthusiast!
Country
Northampton, UK
Region
Northamptonshire, UK
I always thought that Protext was very good if you wanted speed and didn't mind not having a WYSIWYG interface. I have also used Wordworth, Final Copy II / Final Writer and Pagestream and I found that they were all extremely capable programs long before the PC caught up.
I used to use ProText before I got my copy of Final Writer. I thought ProText was the bee's knees at the time and was happy using it (especially as I got it FOC on an Amiga Computing coverdisk :LOL:)

I agree with you Merlin, the above mentioned word processors and DTP packages were very capable long before the PC got a decent graphical operating system and decent apps that can use it.

AndyLandy

Acceleration!
Treasurer
Country
UK
Region
Southampton
Oh well, Amiga has a lot of office tools back in the past, so I wanted to know, which one is the best for you, from these kinds below:

Wordworth v2. (Also sometimes used Transwrite or CygnusED)

2. DTP
Don't think I ever had an actual DTP package. I sometimes used Deluxe Paint or ComicSetter as (poor) substitutes.

3. Database
4. Spreadsheet
5. Accounts Manager

Bearing in mind that I was only 10 years old when I was using an Amiga 'in anger', I never really had much use for any of those sorts of programs. :) Wordworth was invaluable though, my handwriting was appalling when I was younger, so I used to type all my school reports.

P.S. Don't use compugraphic fonts with an unaccelerated A500+. Printing used to take about 30 mins per page! Looked beautiful, but took forever!

/me goes off in search of the Canon BJ10ex. I know I've still got it somewhere!

woodycool

Amiga enthusiast!
Country
Northampton, UK
Region
Northamptonshire, UK
Bearing in mind that I was only 10 years old when I was using an Amiga 'in anger', I never really had much use for any of those sorts of programs. :) Wordworth was invaluable though, my handwriting was appalling when I was younger, so I used to type all my school reports.
I know what you mean, I was in a similar age group. However, I found ProCalc was s sort of suitable replacement for the MS Excel version that was about back then. As for DTP, I rarely used it, but did on the odd occasion, so Pagestream was superb in this scenario.

P.S. Don't use compugraphic fonts with an unaccelerated A500+. Printing used to take about 30 mins per page! Looked beautiful, but took forever!
Damn! I remember those days ..... I made that mistake once, never again!
As much as I like the Compugraphic fonts, they do take a long time to print on an unaccellerated A500+ (which was what I had back in the day) so I can relate to this comment all too well.

Kin Hell

Banned
Country
U.K.
Region
Cornwall
The only program I used back then was Final Writer. Just Awesome & still is imho. It was MILES ahead of PeeCee in it's day & in some ways, still blows MS Orifice away. :nod:

Kin

Merlin

VIP
Country
UK
Region
Manchester
/me goes off in search of the Canon BJ10ex. I know I've still got it somewhere!

Brother M1009 dot matrix printers FTW!! That's what I had originally, then went over to a Canon BJ10 myself, If I recall correctly.

rkauer

Amiga fanboy
Country
Brazil
Region
São Leopoldo, RS
Canon? Nay! I still have an Epson LQ570 in the back room. Lovely printer, not fast, but excellent quality.

Merlin

VIP
Country
UK
Region
Manchester
@ rkauer

If we are going to be playing 'top trumps' on printers, I also had an Oki Microline ML391 24-pin dot matrix; that was a beast, it was a full width tractor-feed printer and it weighed a ton!

desiv

work in progress...
Country
USA
Region
Salem Oregon
Still have my Star NX-24xx(something...) Rainbow color printer in the garage...
(24 pin color dot-matrix)

I even bought a batch of ribbons on sale many years ago, still sealed...

Although, I bet they have still probably dried up.. :-(

I loved that old printer.

Of course, printing in hi-res color would reak havoc on the paper and I'd end up with a wrinkly wavy color soaked picture....

But, it WAS a color picture! ;-)

desiv

Templar

VIP
Country
Hellas
Region
Cydonia
Speaking about Star printer, I have two Star LC-10 dot-matrix ones somewhere.:D

moijk

Licence to fish
AmiBayer
Country
Norway
Region
Grimstad
Which version of PageStream was the last for Amiga? 5.0?
speaking of dtp.. I used on my amiga 500 a dtp program I got from a coverdisc. was so convinient that I kept using that for all my letters and schoolwork. But I don't think it was pagestream. It ran smoothly on my 1mb a500. anybody remembers what it was? probably was on amiga format, since that was what I bought the most.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom