Amiga on iPhone?

commodorejohn

Shameless recidivist
Country
United States
Region
Minnesota
Joy, now you can play poorly-controlled Amiga games on your iPhone, until Apple decides to ban it for no particular reason other than that it's Thursday, and Thursday just pisses Apple off.

SkydivinGirl

Retro Girl
Country
USA
Region
Raleigh, NC
I'm still waiting for my OpenPandora. With the keyboard and analog sticks, I think it will be the best portable retro computer emulator available. :) They said they hoped to get all of them shipped by the end of the year, but I'm not holding my breath!

Heather

T_Hairy_Bootson

Workbitch 1.3
Country
Australia
Region
Melbourne
The same guys that are being really late with the OpenPandora are also being late with an iphone/android phone bluetooth control pad/analogue controls/clamp thingy.

icontrolpad

Hopefully these emulators on the iphone and android platform will support external controls because playing old school games with a touchscreen blows goats... (n)

Edit: Oh by the way SDG, Since I was still waiting for my day 2 pre-order pandora I ended up buying a used one off a member of another forum, its pretty damn cool and in my opinion worth the wait. I doubt you will be dissapointed when you finally get one. :)

A couple of my Pandora youtube videos here:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HNjEmfse1RI
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tYwVNz36xW0&feature=mfu_in_order&list=UL

EvilDragons awesome Pandora videos per day here:
http://www.youtube.com/user/EvilDragon1717#p/u

SkydivinGirl

Retro Girl
Country
USA
Region
Raleigh, NC
Yep! I saw they were doing the iControlPad as well. Apple will probably end up blocking it in some way, but Android users shouldn't have any trouble. :) Of course, the games will most likely need to be made to work with the iControlPad as well. It will be interesting to see how it turns out.

I'm very jealous that you already have a Pandora, even if it's not the one you ordered directly from them. :) I only ordered mine about 14 months ago, so I haven't been waiting as long as most people, but I'm still itching to get it. I really like the way they did the app packages to work on the SD cards! I've been watching Evil Dragon's videos and the system looks great. I also ordered a spare battery for mine.

Heather

Phipscube

WipEout Fanboi
Country
Denmark
Region
Ringsted
I'm still waiting for my OpenPandora. With the keyboard and analog sticks, I think it will be the best portable retro computer emulator available. :) They said they hoped to get all of them shipped by the end of the year, but I'm not holding my breath!

Heather

Me too, I ordered mine in October 2009 thinking it would be out before Christmas.... 2009! :D

The Amiga Emulation looks to be very good, and it is shaping up to be the ultimate emulation machine. Seeing Mario 64 running on it virtually perfectly really impressed me.

jvdbossc

HypnusBE
Country
Belgium
Region
Antwerp (province)
I somehow missed this - openpandora handheld looks great, and yes it runs linux nice(y) Keep this alive. I do not have 300 euro extra, but might consider this toy over a few months if happy users turn up here.:) I hope it turns up for the ones who ordered this.

Hell_Labs

Banned
Country
England
Region
St.Helens, Lancashire
To be totally honest, the openpandora looks completely crap. It's the atari ST of netbooks.

MikeFishcake

Country
UK
Region
Manchester/Stockport
I think you're missing the point, HL - it's not supposed to be a netbook. It's a new type of device. Something to sit in the gap between a netbook and smartphone (without the phone capability :D) Imagine someone adding a little keyboard to an upgraded PSP.

I was certainly looking into one for the Amiga emulation, but whilst it's great to see a community of independents gather round to develop hardware from scratch, the massive, massive delays and ad-hoc decisions put me off a little. Plus I suspect the novelty might wear off after a while.

A friend of mine was lucky enough to get one of the first batches; I've had a go and it's... pretty good. With it's keyboard it's the only way that we're going to see a pocket amiga for some time. Unless people can do something with the Panasonic Jungle.

Earlier on in the year when I was considering buying one, I did manage to upset a lot of people on the OpenPandora forums by telling them I was scared of Linux. Rule 1 of techie forums: Do NOT annoy Linux fans :D

(Ironically, since then I've actually got Ubuntu installed as my only OS on my laptop and a second OS on my main PC and I quite like it)

T_Hairy_Bootson

Workbitch 1.3
Country
Australia
Region
Melbourne
Its one third the size of a netbook so not really a netbook at all.

I have never seen a netbook with gaming controls built in that fits in my back pocket or can be operated while holding it. So if you are going to compare something to something else, you could at least compare it to the same something. ;)

Zetr0

Ya' Like it Retr0?
Country
UK
Region
Norfolk
Rotting Apples

Personally I believe IPhones are just a FAD - like flares in the 70's or sholder pads in the 80's. Sooner or later people will realize that they are being fleeced by Apple - with substandard hardware (for the job intended) and its all made in china for less than a tenth the RRP price.

bascially it is Apple's MO - Cheap nasty crap thats over marketed; see style over substance.

Totally off-topic bit

I prefer my PSP over the Pandora - (obviously the PSP is on custom firmware)

Admitedly the Amiga EMU is not all that, infact it struggles a lot - but thats no even an nth of the story when you have a Custom Firmwared PSP.

you get great CPS1, CSP2, NeoGeo, SNES, Megadrive, MegaCD and 32x emulation, as well as flawless Amstrad, Spectrum, C64 and PSx original gaming action as well - combine this with some of the fantastic PSP titles out there and its cheap fantastic machine that can also stream from a media server -

Infact I can turn on my PS3 via my PSP from across the internet (see anywhere in the world) and watch movies from my home Media Player on PSP... anywhere =D

Admitedly I put a few quid under the hood in the sense of a CR-5400 and 32GB of storage - but you can get a 2nd user PSP very VERY cheap these days, and transflash is getting cheaper by the day.

I would whole heartedly recommend one to everyone who likes portable gaming =)

FOL

Country
United Kingdom
Region
Wales
Admitedly the Amiga EMU is not all that, infact it struggles a lot

Now that hurts alot, :).
I have tried for the last 3 years on my own to improve it.

I think I have gained alot of speed, I would go as far as saying its 60 to 70% faster than 0.63 release (last release before other devs left).

To be honest, fedup of people slagging it off. The PSP has a working 68 ASM core, this would make it as fast (if not faster) than ASM UAE4ALL on GP2x.
I dont know ASM, so I cant figure out how to integrate the core into PSPUAE.
I have also asked for help time and time again, but people would rather moan.

Not aimed at you Zetty, :). Just trying to get my feelings across.

On topic;

I thought this emu was'nt really an emu?
I thought he as making it hardcode games into and sell them as single games on Istore.

Zetr0

Ya' Like it Retr0?
Country
UK
Region
Norfolk
FOL

I could never EVER say my praises loud enough for the work that you do for PSPUAE, I honestly wish I had more time to see if I could help you with some of the integration issues of the 68k ASM core you had last year.

The PSPUAE teams work is a valliant effort - infact its one of the most dedicated projects I have seen on internet land, While being brtually honest that I if find the emulation struggling - it can run some games well (turrican 2 / Lemmings) - so to be fair its far better than deadalus64!

To be fair PSPUAE is a slick with a well presented (easy to use) interface with a lot of options that are only found in the latest E-UAE and WinUAE builds, the support on the site with game setups its indeed fantastic =)

T_Hairy_Bootson

Workbitch 1.3
Country
Australia
Region
Melbourne
Totally off-topic bit

I prefer my PSP over the Pandora - (obviously the PSP is on custom firmware)

I prefer my pandora over my PSP, Better screen, better resolution, better controls, touchscreen, better battery life, bluetooth, USB host, SDHC storage, more powerful, better media playback options, full linux desktop OS including web browsers such as firefox, chrome, fennec etc.., better emulation of every platform the PSP can do besides PSX (due to Sony writing their own emulator) and what it cant yet do is really only limited by its own power and available open source software as it is a full ARM Linux computer in your pocket. Also its not tied down by a massive evil company in my book that are exactly the same as apple, limiting their customers freedom to trully own the device they purchased with firmware updates and locking you out of features if you dont update.

The Pandora has its faults though, limited availability probably being the biggest issue at the moment and the PSP has a library of commercial games the pandora will never have, unless someone writes a PSP emulator that actually can play commercial PSP games. The current PSP emulator can really only run a limited amount of PSP homebrew on the Pandora.

Top Bottom