Amiga PSU question

dougal

AmiBayer
Country
Malta
I dug out one of my old A500 "heavy" PSU's (60w) to use instead of the lighter A500 one I was using.

I'm a little concerned though, cause its making a buzzing sound, quite loud when switched on. Other than that it seems to be working flawlessly with my A500+ (equipped with a Gotek and dual kickstart switcher + 2mb chip).

Should I be concerned with the sound ?

Bryce

AmiBayer
Country
Germany
Region
Nordrhein Westfalen
Probably one of the inductors resonating. Not usually an issue. You could add some hot glue to reduce the noise.

Bryce.

hooverphonique

Country
Denmark
Region
Fyn
if it's the heavy version, it's probably the transformer vibrating.. this reduces efficiency and produces heat, but as long as it doesn't get excessively hot, it'll probably be ok...

dougal

AmiBayer
Country
Malta
Its not particularly hot. I'd say the light PSU was ran hotter than this heavy one.

if it's the heavy version, it's probably the transformer vibrating.. this reduces efficiency and produces heat, but as long as it doesn't get excessively hot, it'll probably be ok...

roy_bates

resistance is futile!
AmiBayer
Blogger
Country
england
Region
birmingham

it vibrating does not effect its efficiency at all.

as for heat dissipation..its normal to get warm.

Last edited:
Top Bottom