Amiga synths?

AmiG

AmiBayer
Country
United States
Region
Texas
Hello, I'm new around here but have been into Amigas since I was 12 years old. My second computer ever(after a little Radio Shack push button Tandy) was an Amiga 500. These days I own a 500 and a 1000. I have recently been trying to figure out good ways of using the great sounding Amiga sound capabilities with my other hobby of music and sound engineering. I love the 8 bit sound of the Amiga and many game soundtracks have these great synth sounds. I'm using a PC in my home studio running Cakewalk Sonar but but I do have some old versions of Octamed for the Amiga. I am not that great with tracker type software and I realize after some research that I should probably get Bars and Pipes. I can drive my one small MIDI keyboard with that but I'm looking more for those great Amiga generated sounds. What software can I try to find to do that? For now, my 500 only has 1Meg and my 1000 only 512k though I am looking for expansions. I would like to set the 1000 up on top of my electric piano because it's such a great looking machine and would add some vibe to my little studio. Thanks!

tokyoracer

(Not actually from Tokyo).
Blogger
Country
United Kingdom
Region
Norfolk
The only and best way of controlling stuff via your Amiga is using a MIDI interface (usually connected to the Serial Port).

Although there are always plenty of sound samplers (Mono dnd Stereo) floating about.

As for software, Music X is worth looking into. Also DigiBooster is a great tracker program in my experience.

Last edited:

AmiG

AmiBayer
Country
United States
Region
Texas
I am looking at a MIDI interface either here on on the dreaded eBay right now so once I get that, it will be a matter of software. I will look into any and all suggestions and I'm also planning to upgrade both Amigas with more RAM and HDs so it will be easier to run various apps and put these Amigas to good use in my studio. The 1000 really needs a job to perform as it's just so cute! :LOL:

tokyoracer

(Not actually from Tokyo).
Blogger
Country
United Kingdom
Region
Norfolk
I would try avoid anything without software but if you got one without then it's not the end of the world.
Just decare what interface you have and i'm sure eggs are eggs that someone will be able to help. :)

meega

Elite ranking
Country
UK
Region
The only and best way of controlling stuff via your Amiga is using a MIDI interface (usually connected to the Parallel Port.

I thought they usually went on the Serial.

As for "generated" sounds, the Amiga is based around sampled sounds. You can generate a table of sample values, and then fiddle about with effects over the top of those.

AmiG

AmiBayer
Country
United States
Region
Texas
Great! Thanks for all the help so far. I am looking at a couple of vintage software titles too like Synthia and there's one called A-Drum that I've yet to find a copy of. I like the Amiga samples a lot. 8 bit sounds just gritty enough for what I hope to accomplish. Also seeing a lot about C64 SID synths and there's a whole scene going on with that too. Sadly, I sold my C128 long ago and haven't seen a C64 around here in awhile. I've always loved Amigas so that what I'm going to stick with but I thought it was interesting how many love the SID chips synth capabilities.

rkauer

Amiga fanboy
Country
Brazil
Region
São Leopoldo, RS
Octamed Sound Studio is free for Amiga use and is available at Aminet in its full version.

Jambalah

Country
Rome, Italy
Region
Lazio
For MIDI work Music X still rocks but I'd take an eye to marvelous Bars and Pipes (y)
Have you ever tried a Guitar Arpeggio? This program allow you to configure really everything to play with MIDI!!!
Take a look here
http://www.amigau.com/c-music/barsandpipes.htm
You will find all you need, included info website. And yes, a MIDI interface scheme too!!
Sad M$ purchased Blue Ribbon... =(

salaxi54

Incoming ASROC!
AmiBayer
Blogger
Country
GREECE
Region
Athens
Most MIDI interfaces connect to the serial port, but i'm quite sure there were a few that connected to the parallel. There's even a schematic for anyone wanting to build one themselves! http://www.josef-k.net/mim/Circuit.html
However, you must be cautious as to which of your Amigas you intend to us MIDI on, because the A1000 and the A500 don't have the same gender ports. The A1000 has Female Serial and Male Parallel, whereas the A500 is the exact opposite. Some MIDI interfaces are known not to work on both models, even if you use a gender-changer, so be very careful what you chose.. There's even devices that combine a sampler and a MIDI interface under the same box, such as the AMAS interface. http://www.bboah.com/index.php?action=artikel&cat=63&id=2668&artlang=en
The one i got decades ago for my A1000 is the ECE MIDI interface, http://www.amiga-hardware.com/showhardware.cgi?HARDID=693 but haen't used it in a long time because it needs fixin' up :) If someone has the same model, i could use some help on that one...

AmiG

AmiBayer
Country
United States
Region
Texas
Not to worry. I have both a 500 and a 1000. I could use one or the other depending on what my needs are. In fact, my 500 has both 1.3 and 3.1 ROMs so it would be more versatile software wise anyway. I can always run really old apps on the 1000 that use the keyboard to trigger sounds and use the 500 for MIDI. Of course, eventually it would be best to have MIDI on both if the cost weren't too high. I'll be on the look out for a good deal on the ECE interface for sure.

---------- Post added at 16:09 ---------- Previous post was at 16:07 ----------

Oh and I also have a boxed copy of Super Jam! somewhere. Pity the sounds I remember from it are not so good. Thanks for the link to B&P, Jambala. I'm getting that one right now!

User1301

Deactivated
Deactivated
Country
S
Region
G
Have you looked at Bars n Pipes? It's still being developed.

J

salaxi54

Incoming ASROC!
AmiBayer
Blogger
Country
GREECE
Region
Athens
@AmiG: Seeing as you're in the US of A, may i suggest you take a look on the evil bay for an item called Skyles Electric Works MIDI? I'm pretty sure BIN is allowed as a link here, but just in case, a simple search will come up with that item! :) It is a rather reasonable price, albeit MIDI i/f can be found for even less these days. The only difference is this is sealed, unused. It's a serial port connection.
Minor details about it here: http://www.amiga-hardware.com/showhardware.cgi?HARDID=703 Maybe there are other members here that could have some experience with it..

AmiG

AmiBayer
Country
United States
Region
Texas
Thanks. I've checked out that auction but I've found one here that if the shipping works out should be less expensive. Either way, I'll have to get a gender changer for the serial port of my 1000. I could use it with my 500 until then but the 1000 is the Amiga that has the place of honor on top of my Kawai electric piano! I'll post a pic of that soon as it looks so cool. Would look even cooler with a white LCD screen attached but for now, it's just got a 1084. My CMI MIDI controller eventually will go next to it once I have an interface to connect them.

Last edited:

AmiG

AmiBayer
Country
United States
Region
Texas
Here's the photo of my baby, the Amiga 1000. She has a place of honor in my studio atop my lovely Kawai electric piano. Pictured at left is my Akai MPD16 MIDI pad set. Not pictured is the 1010 external floppy and my CMI MIDI controller. Soon I will hook up the CMI and use it to "play" the A1000! (y)

a1000.jpg

salaxi54

Incoming ASROC!
AmiBayer
Blogger
Country
GREECE
Region
Athens
Looking good, looking real good! (y) I also like the looks of the monitor, resembling that of the 1080!:) All the best with your music-making, man.

AmiG

AmiBayer
Country
United States
Region
Texas
Has anyone seen these programs before? Surely some of you Amiga gurus remember these, and even if you've heard all about them before, I see no harm is discussing them again now.

http://www.echonyc.com/~jhhl/software.html

As you know, I have been gearing up to use my Amiga for sound generating or general music fun and weirdness. These look very interesting and while I have not tried them yet, I felt that I needed to share after reading the docs. He says, "you are only fully licensed if you give a copy to someone else!" They look like they are going to be tons of fun!

Top Bottom