Amiga trademark for sale...

mjnurney

we live as we dream. Alone.
Country
england
Region
Milton Keynes
The Register has the following story (1st nov) about the Amiga trade mark being for sale.

Commodore, the American personal computer company felled by mismanagement many moons ago, lives on, here and there, through trademarks and brands long since parcelled up and sold to other companies.

Amiga, the name for its expensive multimedia workstation, is owned by a US start-up called Amiga Inc - tagline: "Amiga provides the tools and technology that makes Digital Living easy."

It owns the Amiga trademark in 100 countries and it is putting this up for sale, to juice up the funding.

full story

http://www.reghardware.com/2010/11/01/amiga_brand_name_for_sale/

Marc

Country
UK
Region
Essex
They would only use the money to sue you for the name back

mjnurney

Country
england
Region
Milton Keynes
Surely they must be trying to get the Amiga name in the guinness book of records?

has any trademark name been sold , traded, changed hands as much as the Amiga?

Zetr0

Ya' Like it Retr0?
Country
UK
Region
Norfolk
unfortunately - trade mark - isn't copyright so we still get scr*wed outa freeing the kickroms and workbench

Marc

Country
UK
Region
Essex
I own all the kickroms/workbench. Found them all in a piece of furniture from Tulip.

Willing to sell for £100 via paypal. Gift or + fees

mjnurney

Country
england
Region
Milton Keynes
Ahhh but that's a steady flow of money from the real users and the amiga forever users too..

jvdbossc

HypnusBE
Country
Belgium
Region
Antwerp (province)
But if let's say 100 people buy it and can vote and declare what is going to be called Amiga and what not, that would be a nice change.

I rather see stuff like Morphos, minimig etc.. called Amiga then a pc:whistle:

Or am I missing the word "Brand"?

Hell_Labs

Banned
Country
England
Region
St.Helens, Lancashire
I'd buy it and then "open source" the name. Everything is amiga if it wants to be.

Zetr0

Ya' Like it Retr0?
Country
UK
Region
Norfolk
Although a nice sentiment - trade marks dont work that way.

the simple premis is that to register a Trade Mark you must have an item/service to Trade - if you dont within 3 years you lose the right to "claim" that mark.

essentially you are trading in the "good will" of the product brand name i.e. "Coke" or "Nike" as such these trade marks (including glyphs / shapes and sizes) are protected so that only the company can use them and not some other party using your brnad name to sell their product / service.

Unlike copyright - there is nothing here to "open source" you either have a trade mark for a product / service or you dont - if you do have a trade mark, you are leagally bound in renewing said trade mark to provided "evidence" of sales attributed to it - if you dont you will have to reapply from the begining.

Thats how it suposed to work internationally.

I suspect the reason the "trade mark" is up for sale is simply the fact they dont have any marketable products or services / and very likely never will - as such they are attempting to sell the brand name trade mark before they cannot use it anymore.

Top Bottom