Amigakit appstore

ColourWheel64

Banned
Country
none
Region
none
I have just read the article in Amiga Future on the appstore software provided by the Amigakit internet shop, Amistore (Issue 113, page 4).

Obviously, it's not a new idea; Ubuntu, Google, Apple and Microsoft all have appstores for their operating systems, but an appstore for the Amiga is most certainly a great idea - one well overdue for development.

However, there is one big problem and that problem is the software provider, Amigakit.

"...but I buy all my stuff from Amigakit and I love them", I hear you complain. If this is true then fair enough. It is your choice to support the companies you wish to support and no one elses.

So, what makes Amigakit such a big problem?

It is because an Amigakit controlled solution puts Amigakit in a monopoly position over other amiga stores if no alternative is introduced. I personally discovered that Amigakit are a company who prize money ruthlessly above that of their customers' well-being, and since then (a situation which BTW remains unresolved to this day) I prefer to deal with them as little as possible.

You see, no one else should be able to control the companies who I support but me.

It would suit me much better if a general application was developed collaboratively by fans that allows software developers to distribute their software out of the control of Amigakit, and in the control of a community group similar to ours at Amibay, where profit isn't the only agenda.

Whether others share my revulsion of Amigakit or not is a moot point (there are plenty of Amigakit fanboys out there and they know who they are), but surely it's fair enough to expect that the decision of which brand we choose to support should be left to us - the consumer.

View attachment 81671

"Can't someone else do it? ...the Aminet can, Marge. The Aminet can!", Homer Simpson on the subject of the Amigakit appstore.

Last edited by a moderator:

Harrison

Country
UK
Region
West Sussex
Have you completely forgotten about Aminet?

I know everything on there is freeware or shareware but it has existed long before any app stores ever did, and contains a wealth of software, drivers and documentation.

And please can everyone stop using the term "app". It drives me mad. An "App" is a marketing term invented by Apple to sell software on their iPhone, and because the masses are dim witted and think it is some magical new invention (rather than just an Aussie abbreviation for application) they all suddenly think all software is an "App".

ColourWheel64

Banned
Country
none
Region
none
Of course I haven't forgotten Aminet, but Personal Paint has been removed in favour of going on Amistore.

Maybe Aminet's functionality could be expanded to cater for paid apps.

Is there a neat little aminet app for workbench?

Harrison

Country
UK
Region
West Sussex
It's called a browser bookmark! ;)

That's all a lot of smartphone apps are anyway.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4

ColourWheel64

Banned
Country
none
Region
none
lol, true.

Unfortunately though, the Amiga isn't so fast at displaying html (Especially stock Amigas) so a simple styled one would be welcome.

For all the resources that Google play et al use, I do feel a lot of it is wasted.

As a bare application it only needs to be a list of software titles with link to the readme and an optional icon. On top of that, the ability to filter the list by date and OS and a way to pay for the selected download in order to enable it. A showcase option would be nice too, which advertises a random software application every 20 seconds or so as a default screen - clicking the mouse to exit the slideshow and display the store menu.

It's very possible for this to be achieved using the standard intuition library and should run fine on even the most modest of Amigas.

I really think it's an excellent idea if Aminet could step in and lift the responsibility from Amigakit: The Aminet team have years of experience in Amiga software distribution and they have proved that they hold the Amiga and its communities' interests close to their heart.

Furthermore, Aminet haven't exhibited any interest in profit whatsoever making them even better candidates. I certainly can't think of better.

Plus, the thought of Amigakit taking over from Aminet, making Aminet redundant is a nightmarish thought to say the least.

EDIT:

BTW. Your avatar is amazing. "I find your lack of cheer disturbing" lol

Top Bottom