Status
Not open for further replies.

rustednail

AmiBayer
Country
USA
Region
Suffolk, VA
I e-mailed AmigaKit last night asking when they expect another shipment of the Indivision internal Scan doublers for the Amiga 1200. They responded that they should expect stock next week and were taking orders. They also provided me with a link... This may take you to the US site, though.

http://amigakit.leamancomputing.com/catalog/USD.php?url=product_info.php?products_id=821

I've heard great things about these, are they true?

Best Regards,

Bri

PS: I hope I placed this in the right place

r0jaws

Mondeo Man
Country
UK
Region
Lincolnshire
Re: Amigakit taking pre-orders for A1200 Int. Scan Doubler/FFs

Yep it is definitely worth it. Especially when combined with HighGFX.

I got mine on Wednesday and have been happily playing with it solidly since.

It really does breathe new life into your 1200.

It is also worth waiting to buy from Amigakit TBH, I purchased from one of their Stateside competitors and wasn't exactly impressed with their level of customer service or communication.
It was just unfortunate that at the time I was ready to buy, Amigakit had none in stock, and no idea when they were due out again. (they're cheaper too, typical! :evil: )

jimbob005

AmiBayer
Country
swadlincote,uk
Region
swadlincote

r0jaws can you sort me out a pic on haw it sits on the board as i would like on in my mini a1200 but space is not a bit thing in there

thanks james

Adonay

Country
lund sweden\Haugesund Norway
Region
Skåne

I have one of those and they are great after i got one for my amiga 1200 breadbox in totaly forgot about my tower as i use it mostly for games demos and mods anyways ... It works with all my screens be it lcd or crt :mrgreen: a must have if you ask me....

rustednail

AmiBayer
Country
USA
Region
Suffolk, VA

I placed my order last night before I went to bed :D
I can't wait until it arrives, hope its soon!

@Jimbob

I saw the thread on your mini A1200 :shock: DAMN IMPRESSIVE!!! :shock:

SkydivinGirl

Retro Girl
Country
USA
Region
Raleigh, NC

The Indivision "Snaps" right onto one of the chips in the A1200, right? I had a mod chip for a console that mounted the same way (no soldering). Unfortunately, it was the first time I had ever tried one of these types of mounts and the socket was not precisely lined up with the chip. Then end result was some broken and bent pins on the console. It was one of those expensive learning experiences.

When someone removes the Indivision from an A1200, what is the condition of the pins on the chip to which the Indivision was attached? I would think they would be slightly bent in towards the chip.

Of course, I may be totally wrong about how it mounts and this post is meaningless.

Please set a confused girl straight.

Heather

*Edited by Kin Hell - Console Name is Banned by Sony in the UK from any Chip modification* - meh! :roll:

Soz!
flowerz.gif

thgill

Wears pants, sometimes...
AmiBayer
Country
USA
Region
Cincinnati, OH

I know NovaCoder over at EAB had mentioned before that multiple removals and reinstalls of the Indivision loosened it grip on the Lisa chip.

Doesn't look to be something you would want to frequently remove and reinstall.

So, its certainly best that once its installed, leave it alone.

SkydivinGirl

Retro Girl
Country
USA
Region
Raleigh, NC

@Kin

Really??? How about that! Thanks for the moderation :)

@thgill,

That's pretty much what I thought. After messing that type of install up on a Console ;) I'd be nervous trying it on an Ami.

Heather

rustednail

AmiBayer
Country
USA
Region
Suffolk, VA

<== trembles at the awesome power of Sony!

Guess I cant say the name of the console ....

But I am Pondering if it is one of the gaming Systems that is easy to carry around and for Personal use? :wink:

I'm hoping for a one time simple click installation. If it's as good as I've heard, I don't see any reason to remove it aftwards.

r0jaws

Mondeo Man
Country
UK
Region
Lincolnshire

It is a straight forward installation, although you will have to remove or mod your RF shield to fit it. The profile is also so low that it sits lower than the ROM chips allowing you to refit the RF shield with some minor modifications.

You do have to use moderate force in order to get a nice satisfying 'click' and I have read how some members on other forums have used tools to 'tap' it into place.

That certainly wasn't necessary with mine.

You will also need to bend the lower RF shield beneath the floppy disc slightly in order to feed the cable out through the SCSI slot at the back.

When big Z emails me the photos I'll show you the sweet job that Zetro and Yorkie did with mounting the VGA port on the back.

As part of my succesfull *cough* demonstration of its power at Zetro's *cough* we popped it on and off about 4 1200 mobos of differing ages and it was a good, simple fit on all.

This was the reason I sold my 2000, although I was sad to see that go, this piece of kit is so impressive I'm now glad I did, it has transformed the use of my 1200.

At 1024x768 with HighGfx it is actually possible to browse t'intenet without developing a headache and a near terminal squint. General day to day usage (for me) is also so much more bearable at this resolution.

AGA games play smoothly and scroll nicely even Alien Breed 3D although we did spot a weird artifact on one game (Aladdin I think) but I'm not sure if that's down to whdload, or the indivision.

There is a known issue with some graphical glitching for about a minute within the first 15-20 mins or so that is down to a hardware fault on some Escom boards. It is easily fixable with a blob of solder, but does stop once the system has warmed up anyway.

Anyhoo, I'm off to download some sweet demos I spotted recommended on EAB.

Fun Fun Fun! :mrgreen:

[Edit] Well I would be if my CF drive hadn't just decided to 'unvalidate' itself for no good funking reason!
Now having to sit through an hour or 2 of disk salv action. Boooooo!
Why does she hate me so?!?! :cry:

Adonay

Country
Region
Skåne

Some users claim it will not fit correctly on a HP chip though. Personally i did not have a problem with that. I have a 1230 scsi kit in mine so i have no propper place for the vga port :( .. :-D

rkauer

Amiga fanboy
Country
Brazil
Region
São Leopoldo, RS

Adonay said:
Some users claim it will not fit correctly on a HP chip though. Personally i did not have a problem with that. I have a 1230 scsi kit in mine so i have no propper place for the vga port :( .. :-D

Why not desolder the RF board? A perfect space for the VGA socket! 8)

r0jaws

Mondeo Man
Country
UK
Region
Lincolnshire

rkauer said:
Adonay said:

Why not desolder the RF board? A perfect space for the VGA socket! 8)

Now that is sehxy!

Good work fella, when my drive has finished its goodies I'm going to take a look. :D

Adonay

Country
Region
Skåne

Why not desolder the RF board? A perfect space for the VGA socket!

I may do that thanks you for reminding me of that .. Although i cant be botherd at the moment to take the mobo out :LOL:

rustednail

AmiBayer
Country
USA
Region
Suffolk, VA

Hey, Thanks for the input and informative guide rOjaws!

How do I know if I have an Escom board? Found the info.. if this is right, version 1 D4 and 2 B are Escom boards?I'm not sure which board I have in my 1200... I just realized I never removed the shielding on this one to see the board. Think I will wait until I get the adapter in before I take it apart.

I'm not planning on adding a SCSI card to my Blizzard 030 card, do I am planning on modifying the pop out panel on the back beside the mouse port. Is that the place the SCSI port would go if it were installed?

Thanks again!

rkauer

Amiga fanboy
Country
Brazil
Region
São Leopoldo, RS

rustednail said:
Hey, Thanks for the input and informative guide rOjaws!

How do I know if I have an Escom board? Found the info.. if this is right, version 1 D4 and 2 B are Escom boards?I'm not sure which board I have in my 1200... I just realized I never removed the shielding on this one to see the board. Think I will wait until I get the adapter in before I take it apart.

If you have an Amiga Technologies badge in your 1200, you have An Escom one. Notice those boards was manufactured in late Commodore agony, too.

I'm not planning on adding a SCSI card to my Blizzard 030 card, do I am planning on modifying the pop out panel on the back beside the mouse port. Is that the place the SCSI port would go if it were installed?

Yes, that little cover is where the external SCSI connector would be. Most people don't use the SCSI controller, but have the module just for the aditional SIMM holder.

Thanks again!

You're welcome. :)

r0jaws

Mondeo Man
Country
UK
Region
Lincolnshire

If you do turn out to have an Escom board and you discover the flickering issue when you use HighGfx, the thread on EAB HERE will help you sort it out.

rustednail

AmiBayer
Country
USA
Region
Suffolk, VA

Well, the badge on the bottom of my machine looks like a Commodore, but it looks like someone swapped it out as its grossly misaligned. My order with AmigaKit has been processed, packed and ready to ship. Hope it goes out tomorrow.

I was having another issue, constantly getting "program failed (error #80000006)." I was sorting through some old memory chips and think I had a bad one installed. That problem seems to have gone away with a different simm.

Since I had to open it up,I decided to remove the shielding (in anticipation) of the new addition. My board is rev. 2B, quite possibly a Escom board. Think I will wait and see if I have any of those artifacts in my vid before making any modifications at this point.

Thanks for the linky!

Bri

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom