AMOS BASIC, just me?

HonestFlames

Country
England
Region
Shropshire
OK, AMOS Pro is the latest version of AMOS BASIC but is still way behind the times (no AGA features). I get this.

Tell me though... why do I appear to be one of only 5 people in the world who is actually prepared to still use it? I joined the forum at amos.pspuae.com this week (an act which took the admin 2 days to approve my account) only to find it a virtual wasteland, devoid of posts or attention.

I know that C/C++ and ASM are where its at. I have no problem with that and I will reaquiant myself with some 68k ASM when I get a moment, but AMOS has always been a brilliant language to prototype a project in.

Why is there no sodding resource for me to turn to when I need the slighteslt little insight to bugs/problems when developing in this language?

Harrison

Country
UK
Region
West Sussex
There are people who still use it, and I think some popular websites still supporting it. I can't remember the urls off hand so hopefully someone else can help you.

BTW, I think AGA support was added to AMOS Pro via an expansion.

Harrison

Country
UK
Region
West Sussex
but then isn't AMOS a little kludgy and inelegant itself? I've always quite liked it, but the end results always seem easy to recognise as coming from AMOS.

Have you also considered alternative languages? Blitz Basic for example?

Slayer

Country
New Zealand
Region
Dunedin
Yes, Blitz Basic 2... and there is alot going on in AmiBlitz? which is the open source version of BB2... I was reading a bit on there forums last night...

While working through my Amiga Collection once again... I opened my good condition BB2 Box and inside were the first 5 editions (4 x A4 size and the 5th issue A5) of Blitz Basic User from Acid Software themselves... I thought Hmmm... that could get me a penny or two perhaps LOL

Good Luck with Your Amos? I believe I have all the versions of that in my software collection too...

It's just so cool being surrounded by some much AmigaHW&SW

See? There is a big advantage of being interested in Amigas and never ever selling anything at all, until 25 years later...

Then you start thinking perhaps it's a good idea? and of course, then you have alot to sell... :-D

Templar

In Finem Vobis Videtur De Christiana
VIP
Country
Hellas
Region
Cydonia
but then isn't AMOS a little kludgy and inelegant itself? I've always quite liked it, but the end results always seem easy to recognise as coming from AMOS.

That was for AMOS and not AMOS Pro. Even in AMOS Pro you could change the default requesters to your own.

A game in AMOS can be recognized with:

* Pressing CTRL+C quits the game/app. That's happened in AMOS only even if you have already compiled the game.

* The requesters (eg. change disk, select drawer etc), had always the default requesters from AMOS.

And many more. But all these have changed in AMOS Pro.

It's very difficult to recognize if a professional written game is in AMOS Pro language. Look Vulcan for example. As fas as I remember, all its games were written in AMOS Pro (Valhalla trilogy, TimeKeepers, JetPilot and so on).

Don't be fooled that some games wanted the AGA chipset to run (I think TimeKeepers). That was not for the AGA itself, but for the extra memory that the A1200 had back then. :)

HonestFlames

Country
England
Region
Shropshire
AMOS Factory is the dead forum I registered on very recently. There's very little activity there and I don't like the layout. I think there are far too many sub forums, which further inhibits discussion activity.

AmiBlitz I think needs some work. I installed it from scratch and it has so far failed to not crash when asked to do something. It now freezes my Amiga completely when trying to load a project. Previously, I at least got it to compile an example project, which then crashed. All of them crashed.

I love the idea of it, though. There's an enormous amount of documentation with it and the examples show me that there's quite a lot of power there.

There are RAD (rapid application development) tools for PC, but AMOS pro really does let you go from zero to working prototype in a very short space of time.

woodycool

Amiga enthusiast!
Country
Northampton, UK
Region
Northamptonshire, UK
A game in AMOS can be recognized with:

* Pressing CTRL+C quits the game/app. That's happened in AMOS only even if you have already compiled the game.
You can disable breaking out of the program.

* The requesters (eg. change disk, select drawer etc), had always the default requesters from AMOS.
You can get around that in one of two ways.
If you put Request Off in your listing, it will completely disable requesters and always assume 'Cancel' or whatever the negative option is.
or ... if you put Request WB in your listing, whenver a requester is required you automatically get dumped on the Workbench Screen with an AmigaDOS default style requester ..... this only works if you haven't added the Close Workbench command to your listing. This is also an AMOS Pro feature (didn't exist in AMOS, but may be present in Easy AMOS, haven't tried tbh)

And many more. But all these have changed in AMOS Pro.
.... which almost all of them (except one) can be got around very easily with a bit of time & effort.

It's very difficult to recognize if a professional written game is in AMOS Pro language. Look Vulcan for example. As fas as I remember, all its games were written in AMOS Pro (Valhalla trilogy, TimeKeepers, JetPilot and so on).

Don't be fooled that some games wanted the AGA chipset to run (I think TimeKeepers). That was not for the AGA itself, but for the extra memory that the A1200 had back then. :)
Without a doubt I've seen some impressive s**t done with AMOS, which is why it's my choice of language on the Amiga.

orb85750

AmiBayer
Country
USA
Region
Connecticut
Is AMOS Pro and a *manual* readily available somewhere?

Top Bottom