Amstrad 6128 question! Hxc and parados..

iainjh

AmiBayer
Blogger
Country
England-Shire, UK
Region
High Wycombe,UK
I read, but can't find any actual info on... An amstrad 6128, with an hxc floppy emulator in:

can the hxc actually mimic an hd? If so

Is there advantage over using the hxc software menu and loading up the sd with hfe images as usual??

and 2nd question. Can a parados equipped 6128 now be fitted with an hxc and use it as an hd and/ or its software menu ?

and a 3rd! Can a parados equipped 6128 access a hxc and a 3.5" floppy? I assume yes but only if it's got an abba switch??

cheers lots. I googled and searched the wonderful cpcwiki but to no avail honest :( loadsa questions!

tia

sir_beaker

AmiBayer
Country
England
Region
Alresford
Check with Bryce, I know he's replaced the original 3 inch drive and fitted a HxC and slim 3.5 inch drive in it's place which sounds like what you're aiming for? The ABBA switch will just change which is set as drive A.
Although Germany had hard disks for the CPC released by Vortex I am not sure how well they were supported and while the Symbiface had an IDE interface it wasn't the easiest things to run games from which generally needed to be run from drive A (hense the need for an ABBA switch). There's the X-Mass now but sadly I don't know much about it. Parados only allows you to access larger capacity disks/disk images and won't work with hard drives; you'd need something like BunnyDOS if memory serves.

roy_bates

resistance is futile!
AmiBayer
Blogger
Country
england
Region
birmingham
the hxc is floppy emulator with mass storage device for storing the floppy images.its not a harddrive

you can use a 3.5 inch floppy on a 6128 in amsdos and parados,basically youll be able to store more on a 3.5 inch disk in parados and amsdos will be just like the original 3 inch drive storage wise.
basically the difference between amsdos and parados is storage capacity on the disk itself.

yes you can use a 3.5 internally and externally with a hxc.visa versa,better to go with hxc internally and 3.5 inch drive externally.
although,fitting a 3.5 inch drive is destructive to the case and alot of work,you might not want to do that trust me...
a hxc internally will be bad enough.but at least it wont damgae the case leaving it reversible.

the abba switch is to set the external drive to drive a,alot of software wont work from drive b.

to take full advantage of the drive youll need a side switch as well,as you know you cant flip a 3.5 inch disk to access the other side.

i know it may seem daunting,but its fairly easy to understand.

Last edited:

iainjh

AmiBayer
Blogger
Country
England-Shire, UK
Region
High Wycombe,UK
ta all

i have a 6128 without a drive in, just a hole hence why i was thinking of sticking a 3,5" drive in. I have one ready but then thought again about hxc which wins on many fronts.

I think what i'm going to do is buy an hxc and stick it inside the 6128, simples, block off the drive bay hole. (unless anyone's got a worthless/ busted 3" drive i could nick to fill in the gap!)

cheers !

with the menu system i dont even need the buttons so.. simples it is! :)

sir_beaker

AmiBayer
Country
England
Region
Alresford
ta all

i have a 6128 without a drive in, just a hole hence why i was thinking of sticking a 3,5" drive in. I have one ready but then thought again about hxc which wins on many fronts.

I think what i'm going to do is buy an hxc and stick it inside the 6128, simples, block off the drive bay hole. (unless anyone's got a worthless/ busted 3" drive i could nick to fill in the gap!)

cheers !

with the menu system i dont even need the buttons so.. simples it is! :)

Yeah, the HxC is the way I'd go but wouldn't you need buttons for swapping between the disk images for those games than span multiple disks not that there were too many.

iainjh

AmiBayer
Blogger
Country
England-Shire, UK
Region
High Wycombe,UK
the slim hxc has 1 button for disk change if its ever needed. So ive ordered one, good thing about HXC is if it doesnt meet the needs of one application, it can be used elsewhere or sold on v easy. bet it'll be ok :)

I will get an st cable sorted and will try the hxc for floppies there too.

should be fun, add it to the list of jobs to finish eh

Top Bottom