An anti-price driving question.......

Merlin

Ministry of Retr0bright and Street Judge
VIP
Country
UK
Region
Manchester
Yes, the thread title is a bit cryptic, isn't it? All will become clear in a moment..

JuvUK is kindly sending me the PSU for the Compaq Proliant ML330 G2 server board, so that the little remaining hair that I have left won't get pulled out, trying to sort out Compaq's proprietary :censored: wiring codes; I'd forgotten what a total :censored: pain Compaq kit could be - thanks for the trip down Memory Lane, Justin, I am waking up in the night, screaming about Presarios, DeskPro ENs, and Armada and NX series laptops that drove me nuts because they all needed something that was unique to Compaq.

They really showed the industry how to have customers by the short and curlies, long before Apple re-mixed the idea with iTunes.

Anyhoo, to my question.

I was perusing a certain four-letter site *cough* :oops: and made a drive-by bid for some PC-133 memory for this 'ere server board that now has a pair of Intel PIII 866s on it. I managed to score two sticks of 1Gb PC-133 SDRAM for £1 each :blink: plus postage in two separate auctions (sorry for the swearing, but it's essential to the story), a total of £8 all in for the pair!!

Now, I remember paying a small fortune for PC-133 SDRAM back in the days of Intel PIIIs and AMD K6 and 256Mb was quite expensive at the time (about 1995-ish). 512Mb sticks were really expensive and weren't for the faint-hearted..

What I want to know is, just how much would have these 1Gb sticks cost in the UK back in '95, when some IT bod would have purchased them for the latest Dell or Compaq uber-server?

( I have my peril-sensitive sunglasses on :cool:, waiting for the answer and yes, I am sitting down, just in case)

All I can say is for the price to bottom out at £1, that's some depreciation, isn't it...??

keropi

VIP
Country
Greece
Region
Ioannina
how much they weight? I estimate their weight in gold nuggets or something!!!!

protek

"Takai desu ne." -"Jinsei da."
Country
Finland
Region
Oulu, Pohjois-Pohjanmaa
Imagine how much your average PeeCee rig would've cost back in the 80's?

Merlin

VIP
Country
UK
Region
Manchester
I dunno, Keropi. Until I got these, I didn't even know that they existed in 1Gb flavour; I always thought that PC-133 topped out at 512Mb....:blink:

I just thought that it was an interesting study in depreciation, hence my "anti price-driving" title.

Merlin

VIP
Country
UK
Region
Manchester
Imagine how much your average PeeCee rig would've cost back in the 80's?

Yeah, that's exactly where I am coming from with this question. Maybe I'll see if I can find out what the server would have cost originally and work from there...

jvdbossc

HypnusBE
Country
Belgium
Region
Antwerp (province)
Merlin,

Strange, does the memory work ?

Long time ago, these type of servers needed ECC = error checking and corecting memory.

At least in my day's of repair technician.

I hope you sourced the proper ram.

bazzaq

Smoke me a Kipper, I'll be back for Breakfast
AmiBayer
Country
UK
Region
Liverpool
Sounds like a very good deal.. Iv'e got a poweredge server i bought to do mcsa training. Looks like i will be looking for some custom ram for that.. probs ecc stuff.

Merlin

VIP
Country
UK
Region
Manchester
Merlin,

Strange, does the memory work ?

Long time ago, these type of servers needed ECC = error checking and corecting memory.

At least in my day's of repair technician.

I hope you sourced the proper ram.

Infineon branded, 1024Mb, Sync, 133Mhz, CL2, ECC, Reg - I think that ticks all of the boxes, Jurgen....:)

I think the second one is the same but that one's not arrived yet, it should arrive later this week.

rkauer

Amiga fanboy
Country
Brazil
Region
São Leopoldo, RS
I think those modules are only made in ECC ( = registered) type for servers.

If your hardware don't accept registered modules, then the 'puter will act as no RAM was installed. Self-experience.:Doh:

Also some mobos (that accept ECC sticks) don't even open the BIOS screen if they are set to run with non-ECC units (go figure).

The very same idiotic as the very earlier AMD BIOS (from AT/286 era): if someone forgot their computer password to mess with the BIOS, that was just a matter of enter "AMD" as password and the BIOS let the gopher go in!:rofl3

desiv

work in progress...
Country
USA
Region
Salem Oregon
The closest I've been able to fnid so far is:
1999.67 0.87 1999 Sep21 Pcmag 222 www.crucial.com 131072 111.14 128 MB DIMM PC-100 @ $111.1
(Well, that PC100 not 133, but still)
So, 128M for $111 in 99. So, asuming a linear price increase, that $1000 for 1G.
BUT there's no linear pricing on RAM at those higher ends.
The only way the price would be much less would be if they only started releasing that size memory well after the prices dropped..

We never bought memory that size. Besides, what server needs more than 256M of memory back then? You could run a Netware file server for thousands of users on that.. ;-)

desiv

p.s. For the trip down memory pricing lane:
http://www.jcmit.com/memoryprice.htm

Brataccas

AmiBayer
Country
Swindon
Region
Wiltshire
@ Merlin - Without changing the subject too much are you ever on the lookout for server bits? I`ve got a whole load of bits to sort through plus a few machines (mainly rack based). Let me know if your on the hunt and i`ll get the butchering equipment out!

Back to ecc sdram, yeah i come across 1gb sticks quite alot, price wise they were about a few hundred quid back then, looking around tonight their are some places quoting £150+ a stick!

Cheers,

jvdbossc

HypnusBE
Country
Belgium
Region
Antwerp (province)
ECC memory at that price :drool: Have fun with it Merlin (y) You are lucky I was not the seller :whistle: Lol It's not normal pricing...

Compaq it's serverline is still alive in HP server products, they discontinued there own product to brand compaq servers, since they had a better product.

Tahoe

Collector Extrodinaire
AmiBayer
Country
The Netherlands
Region
Wilnis
Compaq it's serverline is still alive in HP server products, they discontinued there own product to brand compaq servers, since they had a better product.

Not quite, they dropped their line of x86 server (Netserver). The rack version at least where build by Asus (LP1000r, LP2000r are examples).
They did continue the Compaq Proliant line as HP Proliant.

The Integrity server line was originally HP and has remained HP, those do not originate from Compaq.

Merlin

VIP
Country
UK
Region
Manchester
@ Merlin - Without changing the subject too much are you ever on the lookout for server bits? I`ve got a whole load of bits to sort through plus a few machines (mainly rack based). Let me know if your on the hunt and i`ll get the butchering equipment out!

Back to ecc sdram, yeah i come across 1gb sticks quite alot, price wise they were about a few hundred quid back then, looking around tonight their are some places quoting £150+ a stick!

Cheers,

Hiya,

I could do with a Compaq Voltage Regulator Module, the part that fits into a black slot on the ML330 G2 Series board that activates the second PIII CPU. I believe the part number to be 217336-001.

If you have any 1Gb ECC PC-133 SDRAM sticks going spare, I could still use some; let me know how much you want for them.

Anything that you have that fits 64-bit PCI slots could be of interest. Next time you are in the graveyard, have a look and let me know what you have in 64-bit flavour.

Thanks

AndyLandy

Acceleration!
Treasurer
Country
UK
Region
Southampton

Cheers,

Hiya,

I could do with a Compaq Voltage Regulator Module, the part that fits into a black slot on the ML330 G2 Series board that activates the second PIII CPU. I believe the part number to be 217336-001.

If you have any 1Gb ECC PC-133 SDRAM sticks going spare, I could still use some; let me know how much you want for them.

Anything that you have that fits 64-bit PCI slots could be of interest. Next time you are in the graveyard, have a look and let me know what you have in 64-bit flavour.

Thanks

64-bit PCI cards? What sort of stuff were you looking for?

Merlin

VIP
Country
UK
Region
Manchester
Erm, good question.

Graphics cards, sound cards and maybe an ATA interface card. To be honest I'm not that clued up on what compatible 64-bit PCI-X cards were available at the time and what's around nowadays.

I've been perusing a certain site *cough* but haven't scored anything yet.

rkauer

Amiga fanboy
Country
Brazil
Region
São Leopoldo, RS
Most 64-bit cards are SCSI controllers. UW-320 mostly. Not bad for a system made 10 years ago.

Brataccas

AmiBayer
Country
Swindon
Region
Wiltshire
@ Merlin - No worries, i`ll have a look and see if i have any vrm`s around suitable for that board. I expect to be digging around there at the weekend but as soon as i can i will.

On the card front most 64bit cards would have been storage controllers, nics, serial cards etc. I think theirs going to be some in there somewhere, i`ll get a list together asap.

Cheers,

Top Bottom