Android or I Phone ?

coze

Commander
Country
Japan
Region
Tokyo
so, I guess time has come to ditch my old docomo-mova phone and get something more fun. Nearly all my friends here are big on i-Phone but I want to resist and lean towards the underdog as I usually do. I've seen the HTC Desire HD in a softbank stand and I must say it is indeed impressive even for someone like me who dont really care much about smartphones.

http://www.htc.com/www/product/desirehd/specification.html

I'ld say its only shortcoming is its size. I dont really fancy a big screen cause I dont see myself going online on it too often. And I'ld like my phone to be small. the i-Phone is not much smaller either, so maybe I should check a smaller android ?

what you guys say ? I take it most people here are on android ? How's its apps ? Especially things like facebook integration, the facebook's i-phone interface is more up-to-date I hear ? :roll:

imnogeek

Country
UK
Region
Midlands
or the 3rd option is the windows based phone.

I have the HDC HD2 which is another big phone so not what you are after but I have been impressed with it. I get windows phones for native support with many of the programs I already own like outlook and memory map.

It would be interesting to look at the new W7 phones that HDC do. http://www.htc.com/www/press.aspx?id=147164&lang=1033

Marc

Country
UK
Region
Essex
I had an Iphone 3g and moved over to a HTC desire. I wanted to move over to Android for a more open phone and to have greater control (also got a REALLY good deal on it) and my 3g just was becoming slower and slower with each IOS update.

My partner has recently got an Iphone 4 and I must say that I regret my decision to get the desire, not because it's a bad phone but I genuinely think the Iphone offers a bit more in a slicker package.

For you though, moving from another non smartphone you will not be disappointed with either. So have a play with both phones and factor in the price your paying for both and make that decision.

User1301

Deactivated
Deactivated
Country
S
Region
G
Hey Coze, I have the iPhone 3G and I honestly think it's style over function. It's nice to look at and has some nice apps but if I was to buy a new one from scratch I would think seriously about what I would use it for. Email - yes; games - yes (some); Apps - yes (some); GPS - yes. My criteria can be fulfilled by either the Android or the iPhone but given the apps I do use are available on both and given that some of the Android phones are a much better phone than the iPhone I would probably go Android now!

Cheers

John

AndyLandy

Acceleration!
Treasurer
Country
UK
Region
Southampton
I went down the iPhone route and have never regretted it, it's by far the best cellphone I've ever owned. Started out with a 3G and now have a 3GS. Sure, they're not perfect, but what phone is?

However, that all said, I doubt I'd be unhappy with an Android phone either, although I've never had the chance to really play about with one.

I guess it comes down to price and whether there are any specific 'killer apps' that will sell you one over the other.

tokyoracer

(Not actually from Tokyo).
Blogger
Country
United Kingdom
Region
Norfolk
I wouldn't get any Apple portable product purely due to their attitude to their behaviour with the fact they can basically rob their customers just because they have the market. Though HTC and Windows are having a crack at giving them a bloody nose and if you ask me, they have. The Apple is a lovely peice of hardware but the fact remains, few apps. for it are free and often, you run out of space. THanks then you have to consider givving Apple a whole load of moneys all over again just so you can download what you want.

That's not to say it's a total peice of style over everything junk. Like the iPods, it's music production is just wonderful but HTC is beginning to rival it now.

If you got iPhone money to blow away on a phone, make it a Windows Phone or the latest HTC Desire HD. I have the new Wildfire (since i'm a tight git!) and for the cut price of £160, this is a little gem of a phone. I was sukkerd into a Raspberry (Blackberry), for god's sake don't ever be tempted to buy one of them!!! :Doh:

Elerion

8bitoholic
AmiBayer
Blogger
Country
Croatia
Region
Zagreb
I think you should chose a phone that fits your image. If you are aiming for high end phones, I'm quite sure that all of them are quite close to each other (tech specs wize).

In my opinion...

A person who wants attention will go for an iPhone.
A person who wants to show superiority would chose Desire HD.

My wife has HTC, and my blond model wannabe causin an iPhone. What more do I need to say. :D

I have Nokia N900 for more then a year now, and I would spend 3 times as much for a cellphone that comes close to this one.
It's an open linux box, and completely weird phone, but it describes me best.

WhoShotMrWhite

CTRL+LeftAmiga+RightAmiga
AmiBayer
Country
United Kingdom
Region
Liverpool
iPhone 4 every time bud, the rest are just wannabies in comparison, apple changed the goalposts... who gives a shit if they update every 1 1/2 years, it's called innovation!

ignore the haters, iphone 4... and no, I'm not a 'mac', i'm a netbook! :D

bobpard

AmiBayer
Country
Leeds - UK
Region
west yorkshire
i got a htc wildfire android phone as it was sooo cheap and does pretty much everything an iphone can do but nowhere near as slick and impressive, for me its the same as having a macbook pro against a windows laptop. If you can justify the price then get the iphone, if your cheap(like me) then get the android option (at the end of the day they all make phone calls - well the phone 4 may not :LOL:)

StrontiumDog

Banned
Country
United Kingdom
Region
The Willen Lake
Neither

All I need is a phone that makes and receives calls plus sends and receives text messages

Take your touchscreens and fancy la-de-da mp3 ringtones and shove 'em some place where the sun does't shine :D - Nokia 3310 retro mobile phone FTW!

sarek2k

Country
Morecambe, UK
Region
Lancashire
I have a HTC Wildfire nice phone tho i'd love an iphone 4 but it's way out of my league at first i thought android apps sucked even if free, but is some good stuff about :) Poweramp is a really nice music player ASTRO is a nice filemanager but it's not Dopus (won't be wasted round here ;)) Nice touch capacitve screen rather than resistive you can get nice bumpers for it too (ie gel cases etc and it's a good job as i've dropped it a few times!)

ami_junki

Banned
Country
Japan
Region
千葉
Hey Coze, long time no see! My wife and I recently got iPhone 4s a few months back, they were our first smart phones and the iPhone 4 seems to be a really nice little package. We switched off the "Mobile Data" option in the phone and only use the WiFi for internet, now we only pay ¥2,000 a month for the iPhone 4. It seems really fast and the camera is damn good, got rid of my Casio compact camera as the iPhone camera is much faster and crisper. Anyways, I don`t know much about the other smart phones but from a first time user the iPhone 4 is a really nice experience. Hopefully catch you up soon!

chiark

AmiNerd
Country
United Kingdom
Region
Yorkshire
I have an iPhone 2g: it still is a damn good phone.
My wife has just got an Android 2.2 based phone: it's a damn good phone, however it has huge potential for optimisation, particularly of the UI. The fragmentation could kill this phone.
I work for one of Microsoft's largest worldwide partners, and have used WP7 a bit: it is damn, damn good and I fully expect it to overtake Android due to the better control of the hardware that it goes onto.

My shortlist would be the iPhone 4 and one of the HTC 7 phones, possibly the mozart...

(I'm waiting for a 64gb iPhone to upgrade my old 2G iPhone to!)

SkydivinGirl

Retro Girl
Country
USA
Region
Raleigh, NC
We switched off the "Mobile Data" option in the phone and only use the WiFi for internet, now we only pay ¥2,000 a month for the iPhone 4.
I wish we could do that in the USA. The carriers here will not let you use a smart phone on their network unless you get the data plan as well. One of our users at work simply needed a PDA to sync to their Outlook. Since he had a company cell phone, I wanted to give him an old BlackBerry without a data plan that he could use for the phone + PDA. The carrier said all BlackBerry devices MUST have a data plan to be on their network. (n)

I guess that's what we get for having huge subsidies on our cell phones.

Heather

Hell_Labs

Banned
Country
England
Region
St.Helens, Lancashire
I think you should chose a phone that fits your image. If you are aiming for high end phones, I'm quite sure that all of them are quite close to each other (tech specs wize).

In my opinion...

A person who wants attention will go for an iPhone.
A person who wants to show superiority would chose Desire HD.

My wife has HTC, and my blond model wannabe causin an iPhone. What more do I need to say. :D

I have Nokia N900 for more then a year now, and I would spend 3 times as much for a cellphone that comes close to this one.
It's an open linux box, and completely weird phone, but it describes me best.

...or, if you're not image obsessed, you buy the iPhone because it's better.

Android is a disaster area.

Merlin

Ministry of Retr0bright and Street Judge
VIP
Country
UK
Region
Manchester
I can feel the fanboys stalking this thread......:LOL:

I have an HTC Hero Android phone and the only gripe I have is that the touch keyboard is a bit too small for my porky fingers, even in landscape mode. Typing plus the preductive text makes for a world of pain for me when using the touch screen.

The big plus for HTC Android phones is being able to run unsigned apps *cough* - try doing that on a non-jailbroken iPhone!

Paradroid

Country
UK
Region
Lancashire
ok, I've made my mind, I'll go for the android, I'll wait little for the Desire Z, which is smaller and has a keyboard

Surprised at that considering it's a fairly pro-iPhone thread! My advice:

Don't fear the onscreen keyboard. I can type fine on my phone, it didn't take long to get used to it.

Don't buy a phone based on playing ports of old games, onscreen touch controls for games are a right pain. Stick to your real Amiga for the classic games! Play games designed for touch screens on your phone such as Angry Birds :)

I have an iPhone 3G. I love the phone but was very annoyed with the iOS 4 screw up (it runs like crap on the 3G but is fine on the 3GS and 4). I have considered going with Android next time but I appreciate good UI design and not making things complicated for the sake of it, so will probably stick with the iPhone.

bebek

AmiBayer
Country
Poole, UK
Region
Dorset
Bought Iphone 3g for £140 on gum3 :), perfect phone for money paid, can not justify spending more for 3gs or 4.

ami_junki

Banned
Country
Japan
Region
千葉
Top Bottom