Android phone, which?

moijk

Licence to fish
AmiBayer
Country
Norway
Region
Grimstad
My Sony w880i have been singing on the last song for about a year now, and I think the current "garbage on half the screen and black on the other" or "random pink stripes" and other fun stuff is a signal that I need to upgrade.

As a Mac user, I would be the prime candidate for an iphone. But since I know java better than objective-c I'd rather go that route. Beside, I like the openess of Android.

So, is the way to go the moto droid, or the nexus one? or is there something better out there, or in the pipeline?

arnljot

Dad, gamer, nerd, amigian
Country
Oslo
Region
Oslo
I have the HTC Hero and despite my blog posts about it, it's the best phone I've had.

My friend has the HTC Magic, and it's less "flashy" because it doesn't have the htc sense gui, but still nice androidness.

I can't say anything about lg's or samsungs android phones since I haven't tried them.

moijk

Licence to fish
AmiBayer
Country
Norway
Region
Grimstad
I have the HTC Hero and despite my blog posts about it, it's the best phone I've had.

My friend has the HTC Magic, and it's less "flashy" because it doesn't have the htc sense gui, but still nice androidness.

I can't say anything about lg's or samsungs android phones since I haven't tried them.

Do this phones have upgradeable android versions? I would assume nexus one would be kept up to date - but I would like multitouch.

I'm the kind of buyer that exchange phones as often as computers - thats each forth-fifth year - so I want something that I'd like to keep for a while.

RED IMPACT

Country
UK
Region
Lancashire
I had the Dream (G1) which was good for web surfing and texting although the battery wasnt too great.

Ive since upgraded to the Hero (G2) and miss the flip out screen/keyboard combo but the overall build quality is much better. Battery life is improved too. Essentially they are the same minus the physical keyboard but G2 FTW

arnljot

Country
Oslo
Region
Oslo
Android phones with Android 2.x (Eclair) has multi touch.

Hero has multitouch with some apps (it's Android 1.6, was released as 1.5 - upgrade was posted on htc.com later).

The 28th of October 2009 HTC announced that Magic would get 2.0 (they've got it in Taiwan) and Hero would get it too.

It's easier for Hero to get Android 2 than the Magic, the Magic is under some wierd licence deal with Google, and google decides what Android the Magic gets, while for the Hero it's just HTC Manpower on the upgrade write that desides that.

---------- Post added at 14:42 ---------- Previous post was at 14:40 ----------

EDIT:

Her is also a HTC Hero review I did on amibay.com (a well known retro trading site)

arnljot

Country
Oslo
Region
Oslo
So moijk, its been a while. What did you get, do you still have it and how do you like Android? :)

moijk

Licence to fish
AmiBayer
Country
Norway
Region
Grimstad
So moijk, its been a while. What did you get, do you still have it and how do you like Android? :)

lol. I bought a HTC Desire, which was hot for a month or two before HTC stopped giving a damn about it. went the root-way and used the phone until this month when i got an iPhone 5.

Got dual sim on my subscription so i've still got the Desire, but i did install a 4.1 custom rom which does nothing but crash and can't access internet or anything so one day i'll find a way to put it back to a 2.3 rom.

.. or i'll replace it with a galaxy nexus since all the fun stuff on android is on google devices. and the galaxy nexus is cheap enough now, esp if it got a ding or two.

However I really like the iPhone, so it'll stay my primary phone.

I haven't got pockets for a s3 and the likes. my brother has it. broke the display twice. have managed to bang my iphone a couple of times too, but still not a scratch nor any paint chips. It'll come though ;)

arnljot

Country
Oslo
Region
Oslo
Cool, I was curious :)

I had the HTC Desire HD, I liked it but I also ruined it by rooting it. I brought it back to "propper" by unrooting it.

I rooted with an idea that I could do better than HTC :p

moijk

Licence to fish
AmiBayer
Country
Norway
Region
Grimstad
Cool, I was curious :)

I had the HTC Desire HD, I liked it but I also ruined it by rooting it. I brought it back to "propper" by unrooting it.

I rooted with an idea that I could do better than HTC :p

The HTC Desire became faster and more like i wanted when i rooted. so i don't regret that. ran it like that for a year.

however, installing 4.1 was a tad optimistic ;) but given i had a new phone i had to try. so right now it is not working. and i didn't think i would need a backup ;)

But I would like to only run nexuses from now on so i don't NEED to root to have the full android experience. if i want a shell on the top i can install it myself. And if i want to upgrade to a newer android version that the shell doesn't yet support i can do that without having to wait for the shell to update like with sense etc (if they ever bother to upgrade once they got your cash and have a new model out).

arnljot

Country
Oslo
Region
Oslo
So, what are your two favourite features with each respective platform. Preferably genuine positive features, not like "because its such a hassle on the other".

It be fun since you have experience with both.

Top Bottom