Another use for Kapton tape?

rootboy

Country
United States
Region
Tennessee
So during the re-capping of my A4000, I managed to touch the business end of my de-soldering iron (red circled finger). It hurt, no doubt about it. I was only on it for 1/2 a second, but by that time I smelled something cooking (me), and got it out of there.

Later on while soldering my new MicroMite Companion (http://propellerpowered.com/shop/?page_id=1946) together, I needed to feed a bit more of a resistor leg into the board after it had been soldered to make things prettier. Knowing that the leg was going to get more than a bit warm, I put a piece of Kapton tape over my finger and used it to press down while melting the solder. I didn't feel a thing. Wow!

Being (more than) a bit crazy, I put about three wraps of tape over the same finger and touched the iron to it (blue circled finger). It got warm (really, really, warm. Okay, *hot*) pretty quickly, but nothing like the other finger. :)

Should you try this? Probably not. And I can promise that you will burn yourself if you aren't really quick about it. So don't come crying to me when you smoke something personal. But will I use this trick for holding down SMT caps while I touch them up with solder? You bet! (since I can't manage to hold them square on the board with tweezers).

Attachments

• Fingers - Compare contrast.jpg
    Fingers - Compare contrast.jpg
    14.2 KB · Views: 1

supaduper

AmiBayer
Country
England
Region
west midlands
LoL I think all us solderer`s have burnt fingers at some time,its a rites of passage :)

and kapton tape is up there in my opinion with some of the great inventions ! where would we be without it ?..... I know surrounded by melted plastic !

Last edited:

Bryce

AmiBayer
Country
Germany
Region
Nordrhein Westfalen
:D A common problem. I let nature solve this problem for me: My finger nail on my left index finger is grown long so I can pin down SMD parts without the burning :)

Bryce.

rootboy

Country
United States
Region
Tennessee
LoL I think all us solderer`s have burnt fingers at some time,its a rites of passage :)

and kapton tape is up there in my opinion with some of the great inventions ! where would we be without it ?..... I know surrounded by melted plastic !

Oh yeah, definitely not my first rodeo. :) The worst was while working on a radio with my little brother (about 40 years ago. Not so little anymore), I grabbed the iron without even looking. Wrong end...

- - - Updated - - -

:D A common problem. I let nature solve this problem for me: My finger nail on my left index finger is grown long so I can pin down SMD parts without the burning :)

Bryce.

I'd have to go with fake nails, and it was hard enough explaining why I wanted fingernail polish at the store... :)

Last edited:

Ed.D

Blogger
Country
United Kingdom
Region
Bristol
Re: fake nails and polish. Just tell the people at the store you play classical or finger-style guitar! :)

Eating lumps of jelly (jello) straight from the packet also helps to toughen up your nails apparently. My old guitar instructor eats a piece every day.

rootboy

Country
United States
Region
Tennessee
I've got a nice set, and they were a godsend for getting the caps off. But I just don't have the steady hands that I once did, and I end up punting the little buggers all over the board. The good thing is my unsteadiness works out perfectly for waving the hot air gun around. So there's that. :)

Top Bottom