Any Apple II users familiar with ADTpro and /or fixing drive errors? :)

iainjh

AmiBayer
Blogger
Country
England-Shire, UK
Region
High Wycombe,UK
Hi long shot this, but worth a try! (never surprised by the cool peeps in this forum :) )

I have an apple IIe. Trying to get ADTpro working, can get the client over serial to the Apple (ProDos then the client) but cant format any floppy disks.

Turns out neither can I format a floppy in either of my drives using dos3.3, booted on the apple.

So either I'm being dumb or both my drives read, but wont write.

SO -

a) anyone in UK got please an ADT dos floppy I could blag/ buy /swap for blank media?

b) anyone got experience cleaning apple 5.25" drives and is it anyhow possible my drives can read but not write? I'll move onto cleaning them on my own if no one can help with a), wish me luck :)

TIA, Iain

desiv

work in progress...
Country
USA
Region
Salem Oregon
I haven't had that problem with my Apple's.
Just to be clear...
You have an Apple II with a serial card attached to a PC.
You can send files (ADT or ProDOS bootstrap) to the Apple.
(i.e. from here: http://adtpro.sourceforge.net/bootstrap.html)

But you can't use the utility you've sent to the Apple to format a floppy?

Do you have any other bootable Apple II floppies?

Are your floppies DSDD?
(I know the Amiga DSDD 3.5" drive can use DSHD disks without problems, but I've never had luck with the same trick on 5 1/4" drives/floppies.)

And the floppy/side you are using is notched? (so it's writable).

If you really can read but not write floppies, I'd check my cables to make sure there aren't any bent/broken pins anywhere..

Not in you're neck of the woods, so sending you anything would be problematic..

desiv

TheRogue

Hey Hey! Ho Ho! 100110!
AmiBayer
Country
Canada
Region
Vancouver, British Columbia
Hey there, I'm in Canada, but I can still make you a disk and send it off to you if you want. I have an Enhanced IIe and a IIGS, so I can make you a disk no problem. Before we get to that though, can you list the EXACT procedure you are using so we can make sure there's no errors there. Thanks.

iainjh

AmiBayer
Blogger
Country
England-Shire, UK
Region
High Wycombe,UK
Hi Desiv and therogue!

thanks for your replies. So this is how far I've got:

I have a bunch of SSDD disks that came with the IIe. I have dos 3.3, prodos, apple write that read perfectly. the apple has a SS card in slot 1 (so I use IN#1), the disk controller and 80 col card, thats it.

It came with a few used blanks but I couldnt init hello or format those from the ADTPro client on the iie so I've since got more disks ( I believe to be DSDD) from someone on the forum but they dont work either.

all my disks are notched, and the notch is open.

I run adtpro 1.16 on PC. Send prodos, then send ADTpro serial client. In that client I try to format any disk and I get a drive door or i/o error, either drive, or "disk is write protected". after a few attempts, it looks as if adtpro crashes or chucks up some debug info I cant fathom.

the cables look fine. I've not got further than a cursory check, I cant see any r/w switch anywhere on the drives or in the manuals.

?

desiv

work in progress...
Country
USA
Region
Salem Oregon
Let's get ADT out of the troubleshooting path first.

OK, if you have a DOS 3.3 floppy, boot off of that one and get to a prompt.
Then remove that disk and put a blank disk in the drive and type
INIT HELLO

That should format the disk in the drive.
(That's from memory, but I believe that is right.. ??)

If that doesn't work, it's not an ADT issue, it's a controller/drive issue.
I'd unplug the cable from the Disk ][ and the Apple and check the cable and the connectors for bent pins.. (That's the easiest thing to see, so I go there first. :) )

desiv

p.s. There is the sensor that checks to see if your disks are write protected or not.. That could be an issue...

iainjh

AmiBayer
Blogger
Country
England-Shire, UK
Region
High Wycombe,UK
i just booted from dos 3.3

INIT HELLO, got a i/o error on 3 seperate disks.

I'll take a look at pins tomorrow - I assume thats the pins from the cables to the drive controller card.

how do I force INIT HELLO to attempt a format on the 2nd drive, btw?

ta again!

iainjh

AmiBayer
Blogger
Country
England-Shire, UK
Region
High Wycombe,UK
thanks guys I have it formatting.

tried it in dos, both drives still failed.

took all the leads off, reseated the drive card and leads - and all works.

I can format disk in both drives, now to try adtpro properly!

thanks again for your help!

Iain

desiv

work in progress...
Country
USA
Region
Salem Oregon
Glad it's working!
Thanx also for the Apple reminder..
Pulled out my Apple IIc to test a few things in case you had more questions (and to clean it up a bit), and been having fun.

I haven't used ADT Pro before.. Wow.. ADT worked great, but the PRO is very nice..
The bootstrapping is a nice option, and I am impressed that they added transfer via AUDIO..

That's really nice as not all Apple's have serial ports..
(And when you think that not all PCs have serial anymore, "audio" might be the only way for some people, although it's a bit slow at 20 mins per disk.)

Enjoy!!

desiv

iainjh

AmiBayer
Blogger
Country
England-Shire, UK
Region
High Wycombe,UK
and I also remain grateful I've made sure I've kept serial cards in my pc..:)

looks like I'm going to get through a few floppies after all! Now I've worked out where to put the .dsk, this should be fun.

ta!

iain

Top Bottom