Any clue what this is?

soeter04

Country
Netherlands
Region
NH
Howdy,

Does anybody have a clue what this is or does?
Seems to plug into a control port of the C64, and exposed what looks like a RCA plug...

IMG_7444.JPG

IMG_7446.JPG

IMG_7447.JPG

IMG_7448.JPG

rootboy

Country
United States
Region
Tennessee
Homemade?

After fooling around trying to draw up the schematic I came to the conclusion that schematic programs suck in general, others in particular.

That said, your jack is wired to a LM324 Quad op-amp, and your jack is blocking my view, but it looks like all four amps might be wired up.

The output of the op-amps feeds the hex inverter and then gets summed up in the quad NAND gate. There is a precision resistor next to the trim pot, it may be used to set the trigger level to the op-amps.

Anything analog coming out of the op-amps is going to be converted to digital once it hits the inverter. And the 9 pin connector is using far too many connections to make it an audio device.

Maybe a poor man's analog to digital converter?

Last edited:

Beegle

Country
Canada
Region
Quebec
An external sound device (à la Covox Speech Thing) but homemade for the C64?

rootboy

Country
United States
Region
Tennessee
Pinout-wise, it looks like it's made to work with a C64 joystick port (notice that the power comes in on pins 7&8 ). The four identical resistors near the trim pot suggest a R2R A/D network. It only is inputting on pins 1&2, which supports the A/D theory. The adjustable pot makes me think that it is intended as a ham radio interface for rtty or CW.

Last edited:

soeter04

Country
Netherlands
Region
NH
Some kind of suicide device? (judging by how the RCA plug is rigged)
:D i did cut my finger on the damn thing..

- - - Updated - - -

Homemade?
I would friggin' hope so. Imagine something coming out of a factory looking like that :D

Thanks for your help lads, now at least i can label the item before it goes into the 'likely useless' box o' goodies

SaviorX

VCCUG
Banned
Country
Canada
Region
Calgary, Alberta
maybe it's just me, but it appears as though the person who made it completely disregarded the fact that the RCA plug itself is metal....

rootboy

Country
United States
Region
Tennessee
I'm guessing that at one time it was pointing straight up. One would hope so at least.

- - - Updated - - -

Some kind of suicide device? (judging by how the RCA plug is rigged)
:D i did cut my finger on the damn thing..

Happens to me all of the time... :)

- - - Updated - - -

Homemade?
I would friggin' hope so. Imagine something coming out of a factory looking like that :D

Thanks for your help lads, now at least i can label the item before it goes into the 'likely useless' box o' goodies

If you are curious, and have a C64 handy, you could try it out using the earphone jack from a radio and a simple program that reads the status of the joystick port. But you are probably right in labeling it "likely useless".

Top Bottom