Any must have parts for a 486?

nicolaj132

ThatRetroGuy
Country
denmark
Region
South jytland/roedekro
since im getting one of those, you guys might know what is the must have parts for it.

Sardine

Staff member
Staff Moderator
Blogger
Country
England
Region
Merseyside
for me it would be a genuine soundblaster + wave table, either an AWE32 or SB16+Wavetable
fast graphics card for doom etc... VLB or if available PCI, I would steer away from trident.

dx2/66 or higher, motherboard to have working cache memory

16mb or higher ideally 128mb for smooth Win98

A Windows 98 setup with a custom boot menu to choose to boot too Win98 or Pure dos(with sound drivers,mouse,cd rom etc all setup with EMS ram and 600k+ basemem)

hmmm!! now I want one lol.

nicolaj132

ThatRetroGuy
Country
denmark
Region
South jytland/roedekro
i do have an awe32, but didnt have the computer to try it with yet, atleast i do that now, and you know what? im going to have 3 486 computers! i can configure them to diffrent configurations.
hmm, i have these mysterius floppy disks that are on 6, do you think theyre a opterateing system? unfortanly he doesnt know their spec's, ram/cache information, have to figure that out myself.

Last edited:

sneeker

AmiBayer
Country
England
Region
Manchester!
Gravis ultrasound, a sound blaster 16, and if its vesa something like a cirrus logic 5429.. That was me in about 1995, then I went PCI and got a diamond stealth and a cirix 5x86 100.

ShambleS1980

Softmodder/Tsoper/Repairer of old xboxes.
AmiBayer
Country
Wales
Region
Gwynedd
voooooo dooooo "well would be for me"
cant play the original crow bar head smasher without 1 (king pin)

edit.
voodoo 2 and you can go voodoo + maxtor, or whatever.
But i do remember really liking the voodoo back in the day.

Last edited:

motrucker

AmiBayer
Country
USA
Region
Annapolis, Maryland
You more than likely have an AGP graphics slot. I would use the latest NVidia card you can find. Voodoo are fine. I use an old HP with XP - that's as old as I go right now. Even with the 1GHz AMD cpu it runs XP just fine. You should see close to that performance too.
If you have isa slots, you can find cheap sound cards, and even SCSI cards. You might be surprised at how well the 486 runs "modern" windows stuff. Good luck.

SaviorX

VCCUG
Banned
Country
Canada
Region
Calgary, Alberta
a 486 won't have AGP, you'll be lucky to have a good amount of PCIs on a later board, an Intel DX4/100 or AM486 DX4/120 is about as fast as it gets (unless you can locate an overdrive chip)

(anything faster is a Pentium, and not relevant...something 1ghz is a PIII/Celeron or Athlon/Duron btw)

a 486 wont run XP no matter what you do to it (requires a Pentium-233 min as well as 64MB ram), it will however run 98SE with at least a 2/66 (i'd recommend a 4/100) and 16MB RAM (tho i'd also recommend 64MB+ - which also means a newer board that supports 72pin RAM) (I'd imagine however, unless you have a ton of RAM, 95sr2/2.5 might be more suitable, particularly with a 'lower' speed CPU, or a 486 board which only supports 30 pin ram (which will effectively cap you at 8x4mb (32mb) of RAM))

Last edited:

Mr_Luca98

Country
Germany
Region
Rheinland Pfalz
I would choose A Voodoo 1 solutuion, a good 2D card like a Matrox Millenium, and a decent soundcard like the AWE32 or AWE64 or for ultr sound the GUS :D

DojoDan

Blogger
Country
UK
Region
West Midlands
Back in the day my friend had 2 386's and a 486 dx4-100 (that thing was cookin back then). God knows how they afforded it, but Doom over lan was awesome. I'd love a 486 but I've knocked up a 1ghz Athlon with branded parts that have '98 drivers and stuck 98 on it. Too fast for old old DOS games but fine for what I use for (mostly Quake and Screamer 2!)

Are there 486 mobo's available that still have easily attainable drivers? Did they have mobo / chipset drivers back then?

mjnurney

we live as we dream. Alone.
Country
england
Region
Milton Keynes
486 dx4 100 or Pentium overdrive
Intel cpus are much faster than AMD ( i recently tested some, i was amazed how much quicker they are...)
Sound blaster ISA
fastest 2d card you can find , Tseng i think or cirrus logic
16/32 mb ram
Dos 6.22
512mb hdd CF for quick transfers from web enabled PC/MAC

setting the sound up is essential in DOS , so pick a known model sound card. the rest dissent matter too much.

486 performance.

Doom / duke3d - great , Quake - just about
Dark forces - excellent, quarantine to name but a few.

book a week off work too.

For Windows 95/98 you need a pentium to play games really and then a voodoo of course.

mike.

Last edited:
Top Bottom