quarkx

insane in the main frame
AmiBayer
Country
Canada
Region
Edmonton, Alberta,
linky

The door would be hitting my ass on the way out.

"All mobile phones are taken and examined for evidence."

This is a clear case of illegal search and seizure.

We could argue about the rest
but this is clearly over the line,

1. Need a signed warrant from a judge
that is only granted upon presentation of
EVIDENCE OF A CRIME

2. Apple is not an authorized law enforcement agency
Apple is making iCops now?

3. Nobody can do blanket sweeps looking for evidence,
not even the cops

desiv

work in progress...
Country
USA
Region
Salem Oregon
IANAL (although I play one on TV.. ok.. I don't do that either..)

Anyway,

I assume that might depend on what type of agreement you have signed as part of your employment.

If you've signed something giving Apple the right to confiscate any non-authorized devices or something, it would be even more murky legally as to what might happen.

Then again, you ask as tho you're getting the Steve's confused...
Jobs has always been kind of like that...

Woz would sneak in a camera and take pics just to see what Jobs would do. ;-)

desiv

p.s. I'd think this is more of a "rant" than a general conversation.. (I like rants!!)

r0jaws

Mondeo Man
Country
UK
Region
Lincolnshire
I think that article has it's tongue firmly in it's cheek. ;)

moijk

Licence to fish
AmiBayer
Country
Norway
Region
Grimstad
linky

This is a clear case of illegal search and seizure.

We could argue about the rest
but this is clearly over the line,

I would guess the contract they have with apple allows for such searches.

We live in a time that high profiled companies barley can order a new coffee maker without it becoming a news story. We have rumours of new devices every time someone at a supplier open their mouth and tell about the new order they have got, we have rumours every time a new patent is filed. That I can understand Apple can live with - fuel for the marked.

But when staff are leaking out information about prototypes, pre production models or release versions they shake up the marked, drops demand for current models (see the Osborne effect - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Osborne_effect ) and give the competition a full insight into whats coming.

Is it over the line? Yes by all means. But I would assume they need strong evidence before going to action, but they have time after time breached the trust given to them - so the radical security measurements are all earned.

If your workplace kept giving out information about new products, deals and other information that might hurt sales, I'm quite sure the company would lessen their trust in their staff as well.

rkauer

Amiga fanboy
Country
Brazil
Region
São Leopoldo, RS
Using a bit of hardware and a few legal measures will not hurt the law: using celular blockers (so no one can use it to send images) and demanding that nobody can enter the facilities with a cell phone with flash memory can sufficce to stop industrial theft.

Other measures can be very against the law.

quarkx

insane in the main frame
AmiBayer
Country
Canada
Region
Edmonton, Alberta,
This is happening at the stores, NOT apples' High tech labs, so ho much industral spying and prototypes make it to an Apple store?:nuts:

moijk

Licence to fish
AmiBayer
Country
Norway
Region
Grimstad
This is happening at the stores, NOT apples' High tech labs, so ho much industral spying and prototypes make it to an Apple store?:nuts:

Common sense tells me that it has to be a very good reason for a company to go to that extent. Whatever the staff at the location that has that kind of security knows, has to be worth the expense of the security measurements.

arnljot

Dad, gamer, nerd, amigian
Country
Oslo
Region
Oslo
Article said:
Gizmodo has confirmed the existence of a division that reports directly to Jobs and Oppenheimer.

Dubbed the "Worldwide Loyalty Team", its sole function is to purge Apple stores of people who are not rabid fanboys or toeing the company line on everything.

It's in the third paragraph of the article

desiv

work in progress...
Country
USA
Region
Salem Oregon
From the original (Gizmodo) article:

"Apple has these moles working everywhere, especially in departments where leaks are suspected. Management is not aware of them," he told me, "once they suspect a leak, the special forces—as we call them—will walk in the office at any hour, especially in the mornings. They will contact whoever was the most senior manager in the building, and ask them to coordinate the operation."
So, although it can be stores, the original article implies they are looking for leaks more than anything else..

Then again, this is the cult of Apple, so nothing surprises me...

I wouldn't worry tho, I think there's an app for that... :p

desiv

Merlin

Ministry of Retr0bright and Street Judge
VIP
Country
UK
Region
Manchester
These 'Special Forces', who fix leaks, are they iPlumbers??

:whistle:

jvdbossc

HypnusBE
Country
Belgium
Region
Antwerp (province)
new day's

new day's

Look at all the leaks on the internet about apple os, apple phone, apple that,

Not more than normal they wan't to protect there investment:nuts:

The people who hacked it were probably employers once up on a time, or still are.

Would you be happy, having any business that information is leaking, and you spend $$$$ ?

---------- Post added at 23:48 ---------- Previous post was at 23:47 ----------

Even more, today we have a little usb stick at 8GB (cheap) plug it in like James Bond and have :whistle:

Allen1

Country
England
Region
Northumberland
That's terrible if true,

it sounds just as bad as where I worked, they installed a hidden security camera in the conformal coating room (where I sprayed circuit boards) and even put a hidden camera in a passive infra red detector in the men's toilets. This had nothing to do with security issues but on spying on the workers like myself, thank goodness the place closed. It would appear that there is always someone who will push things as far as they can and still get away with it, I would never allow that kind of stupid behaviour to knowingly happen to me again and no one should have to be treat with such contempt for a silly company no matter how big they are. :mad:

desiv

work in progress...
Country
USA
Region
Salem Oregon
.... no one should have to be treat with such contempt for a silly company no matter how big they are. :mad:

No one has to put up with that.
It's just a condition of employment.

I guess, having worked for places that deal with confidential data for years now, I don't see that it's a big deal.

Oh well..

desiv

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom