Are partitions above 2GB (FFS) not recommended on a 4 GB CF?

fitzsteve

Retired Slacker
AmiBayer
Blogger
Country
UK
Region
Sevenoaks
I think you should be ok, however I give this advice on my tutorial as some software with WB3.1 will not work on partitions over 2gb. Mostly the 2gb limit is for the boot partition for file systems that do not support TD64 like FFS.

I'd recommend you use FPS3_AIO anyway, it's faster and very easy to setup if you follow some guides :)

iddqd

Country
Sweden
Region
Skåne
Oh, I got the man himself on the hook! Thanks for reply.

I have this idea to have my next project be setting up an 8 GB CF card, and I wonder what options one would have for that? Just use SFS, or could a patched FFS do the trick as well?

(BTW, an internet search tells me you mean PFS3, I guess?)

I know nothing about Amiga file systems, only a little about various GNU/Linux ones, and FAT.

Sardine

Staff member
Staff Moderator
Blogger
Country
England
Region
Merseyside
there is a patched sfs and ffs that work with up to 8gb drives that doesn't require you to change the scsi.device.

PFS3 as steve has said is also good but requires a scsi.device change.

I think the only downside to FFS (Steve will confirm) is that if the drive gets an error then it will validate itself and on 8gb it would take a long time :)

I tend to have FFS_TD64_v445 with the up to 8gb patched "FastFileSystem" and leave the scsi.device alone. a 500mb or so boot drive and then the rest partitioned how i like.

there is also a patched SFS_SCSIdirect_v184 with an up to 8gb patched "SmartFilesystem".

I just dont like messing with the scsi.device as it causes the amiga to reboot up to 3 times on a cold start and on fast systems can cause the kickstart screen to appear. (had this on my apollo 040, booted 1st time every time but when the scsi.device was patched it was hit and miss if it booted and many Ctrl+A+A to get to workbench)

fitzsteve

Retired Slacker
AmiBayer
Blogger
Country
UK
Region
Sevenoaks
If you use PFS3 AIO you don't need a SCSI device change if you use 8gb as PFS3 AIO is Direct SCSI capable :)

Really PFS3 AIO is the best solution these days. SFS it depends what version you use, some can do up to 8gb like PFS3 AIO some need SCSI device update for over 4gb. Same applies to some versions of PFS3 which is why I specifically advice to us Toni Willen's AIO version (all in one)

Good luck and if you get stuck we'll try to help.

ps. I made a tutorial for Large Disk support too, you can find it on my YouTube channel, it's a bit more involved mind...

iddqd

Country
Sweden
Region
Skåne
I've now watched your large HD tutorial, I'll need to rewatch it a few more times, I suspect.

As I've understood it there are three ways to get 8 GB support: FFS-patched, PFS3 AIO, and SFS?

Are there any programs that will stop working if one uses PFS3 AIO?

By the way, while I have your attention, I just upgraded WHDLoad 17.1 to 18.1 in my ClassicWB by installing it at the same place (System:C, and Help:WHDLoad, I hope that is the correct way to do it. Or should one some how remove the old install first?

EDIT: This was the first time I installed _anything_ on an Amiga, so I'm a beginner at this.

Last edited:

fitzsteve

Retired Slacker
AmiBayer
Blogger
Country
UK
Region
Sevenoaks
I think that's all you need to do for upgrading WHDLoad or you can just run the installer and let it do everything for you.

In a nut shell for 8gb support you need a direct scsi capable file system i.e SFS 1.84 or PFS3 AIO and for above 8gb you need to patch the scsi device in addition.

I don't beleive file choice of system can stop anything from running.

iddqd

Country
Sweden
Region
Skåne
OK, so patching (on OS3.1) the scsi is only needed for above 8 GB systems. Good to know. I thought it was all above 4 GB.

What has me a bit confused is the word "scsi" to begin with. I'm thinking it's an ide drive I have attached (the CF).

(regarding whdload, yes, I did the install way, but I wasn't given an "upgrade" option by the installer, just normal "install" so I installed it to the same path as the current WHDLoad, which I think was System:C)

fitzsteve

Retired Slacker
AmiBayer
Blogger
Country
UK
Region
Sevenoaks
Yeah it's a real pain they called the IDE driver scsi device lol. And yeah you're fine for up to 8gb as long as you use a scsi direct capable file system :)

I saw you were looking at buying an ACA12xx, a useful feature with these cards is the ability load in a custom 1mb Rom with Maprom, you can therefore put the updated scsi.device inside the custom Rom and voila :)

There's also a similar feature for other cards like the Blizzards called Blizkick where you can load custom modules. Anyway, that's for later. Take one step at a time :)

Last edited:

iddqd

Country
Sweden
Region
Skåne
I saw you were looking at buying an ACA12xx, a useful feature with these cards is the ability load in a custom 1mb Rom with Maprom, you can therefore put the updated scsi.device inside the custom Rom and voila
Ha! You're keeping track on me. But this is if I want to go above 8GB, right? "Maprom" - I assume it's a program that you load at startup or something that puts stuff in that 1MB space.

While on the topic of ram/rom, what's the function of the "T" and "Clippboard" folders on the ramdisk?

iddqd

Country
Sweden
Region
Skåne
OK, I've re-read the posts, and wikipedia, and things are getting clearer to me, I hope, forgive me if I'm re-iterating, but repetition is how I process information.

wikipedia said:
Version 40.1 was the last version of FFS released by Commodore, and came with
AmigaOS 3.1, both on the OS disks and in the ROM. After this, several
Unofficial patches appeared which allowed its use on drives after the first 2
GB of a hard disk using a 64-bit addressing system called TrackDisk64 or TD64
(although the 2 GB limit on file size and the 127 GB limit on partition sizes
remained, as it was a limitation of AmigaOS dos.library and all then-current
Amiga software) and carried the version number of v44. The version of FFS that
came with AmigaOS 3.5 and 3.9 was v45 and differed in that it used a different
64-bit addressing system, New Style Device or NSD.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amiga_Fast_File_System

Now, I'm not sure how to interpret the phrase "which allowed its use on drives after the first 2 GB of a hard disk", so vanilla OS3.1 does not support partitions between 2-4 GB in size? Or ClassicWB has this solved?

Sardine said:
I just dont like messing with the scsi.device as it causes the amiga to reboot up to 3 times on a cold start and on fast systems can cause the kickstart screen to appear. (had this on my apollo 040, booted 1st time every time but when the scsi.device was patched it was hit and miss if it booted and many Ctrl+A+A to get to workbench)
OK, but this is only an issue if above 8 GB disk, and that problem can be solved by using Maprom to load in the driver in the custom 1 MB Rom sector on an ACA 12xx card, right?

I think I'll play around with this some. I assume these are the files: http://aminet.net/package/disk/misc/pfs3aio

By the way, is re-validation of the FFS file system something that is likely to happen, given enough time? Or is it something exceedingly rare to happen to a user? What I've read it takes many hours to re-validate an FFS disk.

fitzsteve

Retired Slacker
AmiBayer
Blogger
Country
UK
Region
Sevenoaks
Ffs validation is a good reason not to use it, this can take absolutely ages if you have a large partition. I really can't speak highly enough of pfs3 aio, looks like you got the right link there.

The maprom is one way to do it, or you can use loadmodule and map it via software reboot. Also available on aminet.

There are some patches in classic workbench that might solve some size related issues or are least stop above 2gb showing as negative values.

When you're up and running properly consider os3.9 which totally solves this, there is also a classic workbench version that I highly recommend and is what I run on my amiga's.

We'll except for the A500+ that runs wb3.1 but my aca500 takes care if large disk support :)

Last edited:

iddqd

Country
Sweden
Region
Skåne
So I tried the FFS system, it worked fine until I got to the step of doing a quick format of the 3.8 GB partition, where it says "Not a valid DOS disk" (the 200 MB worked fine).

So I re-did it with PFS3_AIO (on both/all partitions), following your youtube video, and an-a1200-restoration-story-part-1. There were some conflicting things, e.g. you said to use 0x50465303 (which is what I chose), but the link above says 0x50445303. In my install the default was already 512 block size, so nothing to change there, but for the max transfer thingy, I put what you said: 0x1FE00 (I hope that is correct), which is equivalent to 0x0001FE00 in the video. However, in the "restoration story part 1" article he had 0x001fe00, so I assume that the zeroes after 0x are not important.

By the way, This article also uses 0x5544.. instead 0x5546..
(example image)

fitzsteve

Retired Slacker
AmiBayer
Blogger
Country
UK
Region
Sevenoaks
The identifiers are different because one is pfs3 and one is pfs3ds, however I don't think it even matters which you choose.

The hexadecimal values you wrote above for the max transfer both achieve the same result. :)

Top Bottom