Are you interested or just buying yourself some time?

r0jaws

Mondeo Man
Country
UK
Region
Lincolnshire
This is a pet hate of mine, people who declare interest in an item and then stop corresponding.

I understand that everyone has a life outside of Amibay, and that at the moment there is no time limit on "declaration of interest", but it is frustrating for sellers and other potential buyers who are waiting patiently to find out if an item has indeed sold.

I think it would be worthy of discussion to have the idea of time limits debated. Something along the lines of 7 days from declaration of interest to a firm transaction post in the thread concerned. This would allow a little flexibility in case of "disaster" but also stop people hanging on waiting.

I know the Mods police this sort of thing, but It would be nice for it to be formalised so that all members are aware that they must state interest only when they intend to actually buy the item, not just put a "reserved" sign on it and pop back a couple of weeks later at their own convenience.

davideo

I look like Gizmo
Staff member
Administrator
Staff Moderator
Treasurer
Blogger
Country
UK
Region
Boston, Lincs
My 2pence ;)

I would agree with the general concept of this discussion and feel that on occasions there does appear to be a lack of thought on some transactions.

I feel that I haven't done this and that if I declare an interest I normally pay straight away (y) which is the way I believe it should be.

Although sometimes the advertisers (me included) don't help themselves by not putting up pictures and full details. So if you're a seller please put as much information on your ads as possible to help speed up the process :)

Dave G :cool:

scrappysphinx

Confused retro man
VIP
Country
UK
Region
Nottingham
I only ever declare interest in an item if i am genuinely interested in it and as soon as a deal is done i pay instantly.

I generally don't do it but i have once or twice asked a seller to reserve an item for a day or two until i get the funds. This is against the rules i know and i have now stopped doing it.

If i'm selling something i always try to include all details and include pics where i can but as Dave said i am guilty of limited listings too.

Kin Hell

Banned
Country
U.K.
Region
Cornwall
Not everyone visits AmiBay everyday, but then if you enter into an advert & commit an interest, then at least make an effort to deal with it asap.
Also, having all the information in the advert is also very important to save further delay.

If someone says they will have an item & don't pay within 48hrs of the accepting PM, then the next in line should be given preference.

Just my thoughts.

Kin

AndyLandy

Acceleration!
Treasurer
Country
UK
Region
Southampton
I'm inclined to agree. Not everyone can be here every day, but equally we can't have people hanging on forever. I think 72 hours is probably fair enough. It's probably worth having the debate and making a policy. :)

Templar

In Finem Vobis Videtur De Christiana
VIP
Country
Hellas
Region
Cydonia
Yes, I'll agree with the above too. Sometimes is too annoying.

desiv

work in progress...
Country
USA
Region
Salem Oregon
Not amibay, but kind of related..

/rant on
I declared interest on a miggy setup on another board (serves me right ;-)).

We PM'd a few times and I was telling him it sounded good and just let me know where to paypal to, etc... He was just working out shipping...

and then nothing..

I would pm him asking for an update, but nothing...

Weeks went by, nothing. Funny thing is people must not realize that you can tell by going to their info page that they have logged in, so I know he got my messages...

I'm guessing he found someone else to pay more, and that's OK (well, for that board), but at least let me know.. I saw several other 1200's go by on e-bait and elsewhere I might have gone for, but I was waiting because I was in this deal...

I told him several times that if he'd just tell me, it'd be OK. Nothing.
Eventually I cancelled interest and moved on (might have one on the way finally), but sheeeshh..

Just send some PMs.. Things happen, but it's only polite to let people know..

/rant off

:)

desiv

Marcb

AmiBayer
Country
Australia
Region
Sydney
@ desiv

Similar thing happened to me with an A4000, in the end I did pull out and bought another listed on the other bay... I just assumed the original seller had changed his mind but I agree, it can be equally frustrating when the seller stops talking, the amiga buying fix must be sated :LOL:

Nathanieltolbert

Country
United States
Region
Olathe, Kansas
I've been in that position before waiting for a response from a seller, and not hearing anything thing. Thankfully it has never been no news after actually paying for an item, so in that respect I've been lucky. I have heard horror stories. When I have an item I'm interested in I will not declare my interest unless I have the money or will have it shortly. There has been one occasion where I had the money and it disappeared (stupid dentist bill :pissed:) but after that I am even more conservative with declaring interest.

Zetr0

Ya' Like it Retr0?
Country
UK
Region
Norfolk
hmmm

this has been brought up on occasion before, and for the most part, it was left with the seller / interested party.

Perhaps a new modus could be implaced, as such when an interested party declares interest, should either party feel the other is languishing then they can message a member of staff or, if they wish, as the seller move-on to the next in the cue.

The seller could post in the thread -

• Not received contact with interested party (username), now moving on with next in-line
How long as the seller you wait, really is upto you... I would suggest at a minimum an hour would be atlest "Friendly" =)

AmiBay doesn't force anyone to trade with anyone, at the end of the day as a seller or interested party the deal is between you two and not AmiBay. AmiBay is just here to give a portal for people to trade in thats fair and honest.

For instance if i was selling an item, and MRUBERCASH stated in the thread "I am interested". I would expect a response within 12 hours of that post, if not I would move onto the next (if there was) one in the cue.

If of course I knew MRUBERCASH I might be inclined as a seller to give them more time, but that would be my perogative as a seller.

Kin Hell

Banned
Country
U.K.
Region
Cornwall
Now that's an "Off the Fence" reply if ever I heard one & tbqh, it's how it really should be. If it takes a week, or two weeks, it's how it is. It just has to be done via the rules of AmiBay, which I might add, appear a little "grey" atm, to say the least. :whistle:

Kin

Merlin

Ministry of Retr0bright and Street Judge
VIP
Country
UK
Region
Manchester
@ Kin Hell

In a recent thread between yourself and GeeBee, I said that perhaps 48 hours was a reasonable time for a response, given that time zones can have an effect if you are trading internationally. For example, I have to allow at least 24 hours for a reply from the Far East.

Is 48 hours to allow for a reply reasonable in your view?

Merlin

VIP
Country
UK
Region
Manchester
I think I'll put a poll up about this and see what the members think before we set anything in stone.

Poll coming up!

arnljot

Dad, gamer, nerd, amigian
Country
Oslo
Region
Oslo
Just for the records, I'm with Z on this one. Seems reasonable to me that seller can post that he's passing a potential buyer because he's slow.

Merlin

VIP
Country
UK
Region
Manchester
The poll is now posted in the Feed Back section. Let the voice of the people be heard!!

arnljot

Dad, gamer, nerd, amigian
Country
Oslo
Region
Oslo
Because through history the vox populi has proved to be one of reason and intelligence ;-P

Templar

In Finem Vobis Videtur De Christiana
VIP
Country
Hellas
Region
Cydonia
The same applies with the feedback also I presume.

Top Bottom