Atari Lynx II Screen Replacement

manic23

Only Amiga Makes it Happen
Country
United Kingdon
Region
Bromley, Kent
Just thought I'd share this AWESOME mod I had done on my Lynx II. Replacement screen with a truly spectacular screen from McWill over on AtariAge, it is really hard to describe in words (or pictures actually) how clear and bright this screen is, but I promise you it is 1000 times better than the original one.

http://atariage.com/forums/topic/233632-lynx-lcd-replacementvga-out-by-mcwill/

2015-06-27 18.07.58.jpg2015-06-27 18.08.06.jpg2015-06-27 18.08.13.jpg2015-06-27 18.08.19.jpg2015-06-27 18.08.58.jpg

scrappysphinx

Confused retro man
VIP
Country
UK
Region
Nottingham
are these ready made drop in replacements or are there wires/parts to solder in?
Are they only for the lynx ii or will they fit the model 1 too?

manic23

Country
United Kingdon
Region
Bromley, Kent
I think it's for the Lynx II only and yes there is about 10 or so wires to solder.

scrappysphinx

Confused retro man
VIP
Country
UK
Region
Nottingham
Thanks for the info, I don't mind the wiring. I had a quick skim through the thread and it looks like he's developing a game gear Lcd too which looks more interesting to me :)

dont get me wrong though, your Lynx looks awesome

Last edited:

manic23

Country
United Kingdon
Region
Bromley, Kent
Yer, I'm sending him my game Gear next week it's ready now. he is currently working on a Nomad screen.

manic23

Country
United Kingdon
Region
Bromley, Kent
It really is worth it, it very hard to convey to you the quality of this mod the screen looks just stunning

TheCorfiot

Out in the Wild
VIP
Country
Greece
Region
Corfu
That's a very impressive upgrade indeed, makes me inclined to spend a bit more time with one of them, up to now the screen has always put me off.

:)

tripp

Country
Finland
Region
Loviisa
I modded mine (Lynx 2) weeks ago and it works very well. The image is very clear and crisp and the VGA output is a bonus (pretty huge pixels on a large screen ;). There is a new mini-sd driven multicard in the making (prototype done, so with a little patience it might not take very long).

http://atariage.com/forums/topic/226918-lynx-multi-cart/

Last edited:

tripp

Country
Finland
Region
Loviisa
I have a really nice condition Lynx-II but it appears to be stone dead! Cannot coax any life from it :(

I'm not en expert by any means, but what I read about it some time ago that it is not uncommon for lynx to have that 'not starting' problem. It can be a broken MOSFET chip if you
have no boot up at all (also usually lynx does not boot when there is no game inserted). That can be bypassed (there are instructions around, on youtube too). Just something to look for perhaps.
You can also ask the folks @ atariage forums.

Last edited:

ElectroBlaster

Country
Exeter, Devon

Yes I was wondering about the busted mosfet and if it can be replaced (if it is indeed the problem). The only thing I am finding hard to do is actually taking a screwdriver to it! the rubber grips on the back are perfect, just feels wrong to start disturbing it but it must be done. The Lynx really is in superb condition for its age :)

dougal

AmiBayer
Country
Malta
I WANT NOW!! Does anyone offer a sale+installation service for this ?

Top Bottom