Azryl

Azryl

Country
Australia
Region
Benalla, North East Victoria
Just want to say hello

I'm another Aussie who lives in Melbourne

Started in computers 1984 while attending Art & Design course, taught myself programming on Vaxen Mainframe. 1985 bought a Commodore64 and taught myself assembly language and wrote a few demo type programs with sprites etc

1986 bought my first Amiga 500 which had a left commodore key! >anyone remember tho's? < and started to learn assembly language and again write small demo type things using the copper and blitter etc

I worked as a Graphic Designer for an Australian company in Richmond Melbourne that supplied in hotel direct movie sales. They used approximately 350 Amiga 500's and another 300+ Amiga 1200's for the display of multimedia animations and movie selection software.

I was responsible for one the largest Amiga systems usage in Australia, New Zealand and parts of Singapore and Asia. More than 600 Amiga's had my software and graphic updates between 1996-2000

I had to dis-assemble the Amiga 500 movie selection software because the company had lost the original source code. This was to fix the Year2000 bug that plagued the change of date and failed rather spectacularly! Updated the graphics and spent months checking code to finally fix the problem with a change to the Workbench 1.3 date executable >alot of the info supplied by Amiga around that time<

While working for the company also redesigned the Amiga 1200 Scala Multimedia systems to fit inside 19inch rack mount cases. These systems had 8meg fast ram, 44pin ide to 40pin adaptors with internal ZIP disks as the only removeable media (ie no floppy) with a normal 3.5inch harddrive.

I wrote startup batch files to check if a new ZIP was inserted, if so copy all the Multimedia contents off the ZIP disk into the Scala partition and when finished eject the ZIP and reboot the system.

Designed an external reset button for the A1200 similar to those used by towered systems. Just a simple chip socket reversed and pushed/glued onto the keyboard chip. Worked rather well.

Also wrote a small assembly program that linked into the graphic.library's vertical blank interrupt routine that would simply count away the seconds for 24hours then warm reboot the Scala A1200's. Scala would on large Multimedia systems suffer from memory fragmentation and drop graphic frames or sounds. This was a simple fix placed early in the startup-sequence.

I dont do much Amiga assembly code now. I'm learning more on the PC with programs and languages for Director lingo and Flash actionscript. Hate PC's and Microsoft especially
icon_smile.gif

I'm beginning to dig my Amiga's systems out of storage and dust them off and use them once again!

Bought a PCB for Mini-Mig.. just need the soldering skills to build it !

You can find me online at Amiga.org and many other Radio Control aircraft forums like RCgroups.com

Main systems

A3000 with KS3.1 roms and OS3.9
2meg chip ram / 16meg static column fast ram
GVP T-Rex 040 @ 40mhz + 16meg GVP fast ram
Cybervision 64 RTG graphics card
4gig scsi harddrive
External scsi Cd-rom

A3000 with KS3.1 roms and OS3.1
2meg chip ram / 16meg fast page ram
Blizzard 4030 030 @ 50mhz
GVP Spectrum 24/28 RTG graphics card
4gig scsi hardrive
External scsi Cd-rom

A1200 with KS3.1 roms and OS3.9
2meg chip ram / 16meg fast ram
GVP A1230 030 @ 40mhz
GVP A1291 scsi adaptor
3.2 gig harddrive
External scsi Cd-rom
pcmcia network card

A1200 with KS3.0 roms and OS3.1
2meg chip / 32 meg fast ram
DKB cobra 030 @ 28mhz
DKB ferret scsi adaptor
1.4gig harddrive
External scsi Cd-rom
pcmcia network card

A1200 with KS3.0 roms and OS3.1
2meg chip / 8meg fast ram
850meg harddrive
pcmcia network card

A2000 with KS3.1 rom and OS3.1
1meg chip ram / 8meg fast ram
GVP G-force 030 @ 50mhz
Picasso II RTG graphics card
Commodore A2320 Scandoubler
3.2 Gig scsi harddrive
Internal cd-rom

A2000 with KS2.04 rom and OS2.1
1meg chip ram / 8meg fast ram
Supra 28mhz accelerator
Alfa Data AT-Bus 2008 IDE controller
4gig ide harddrive
internal ide cd-rom

A2000 with KS2.04rom and OS2.1
1meg chip / 8meg fast ram
PAMC-2000 14mhz accelerator
DKB Rapidfire Scsi controller
2gig scsi harddrive
internal scsi Cd-rom

A1000 with KS1.3 and OS1.3
2meg ram expansion

A500 with ADide 40
250meg internal harddrive

plenty of other bulk standard a500's floating around

Az

SkydivinGirl

Retro Girl
Country
USA
Region
Raleigh, NC
Wow! That's quite a history with the Amiga! Welcome to AmiBay. It's wonderful to have you here. :)

Heather

Zetr0

Ya' Like it Retr0?
Country
UK
Region
Norfolk
@Azryl

Welcome to the 'Bay

now thats a lot of Amigii - ingact I am noticing a lot of Amiga 3000 love =D - maybe one day I will get one!!!!

Harrison

Country
UK
Region
West Sussex
Nice history indeed. Welcome. :)

I see you mentioned learning Director Lingo. I've been using Director since about 1996/7 and know Lingo well. However, if you are new to director, Macromedia (just before Adobe bought them out) added Javascript syntax support, so if you are familiar with javascript then it can be an alternative coding method.

These days however I don't see Director progressing or evolving much. At its height it was seeing new versions released almost yearly. The biggest updates were probably versions 6 through to 8 or 9. I remember 6 being an especially good release. And with each new version came a wave of new features and additions. I've not seen much that is new in the recent versions of director other than some DVD support and support for newer versions of flash.

I think Flash has moved on so far now that Director isn't really needed any more. Flash can do all that director could, and more. Flash has come a very long way since its initial Macromedia release of Flash 3, when actionscript didn't really exist and all coding was done via dropdown selections to create a flow type action script, which is where the language that evolved from this got its name. Actionscript is very powerful these days and I think anything could be created with it given a good enough coder. Kiosks and CD/DVD frontends, originally only the domain of Director, are now easily possible in Flash too.

I do still have a soft spot for director though, as all my interactive university design projects used it, and I spent 3 years working for a design agency as a Mutimedia Designer, working almost exclusively with Director to create corporate presentation CDs.

Did you ever try Macromedia Authorware? That was quite a strange multimedia development environment that used a flowchart style construction system, with nodes used to link elements, pages, logic etc... A bit like Helm on the Amiga. Ever try that? Adobe however discontinued Authorware once they acquired Macromedia.

Anyway... enough of my thoughts on multimedia software... I hope you enjoy your time here.

Marcb

AmiBayer
Country
Australia
Region
Sydney
Welcome Azryl,

That really is an enviable history with the Amiga!
I wonder whatever happened to all those 1200's & 500's the Richmond company was using?
Did you ever use Viatel?

arnljot

Dad, gamer, nerd, amigian
Country
Oslo
Region
Oslo
That's a respectable amount of knowledge and Amigas, welcome :)

Azryl

Country
Australia
Region
Benalla, North East Victoria
yup.. bought one of the very first batch of Amiga 500's available in Australia, >Nov 1986 I will double check this, I'm sure the motherboard has 86 rocklobster written on it<. It was a revision 5 motherboard with KS1.2 in ROM and the left Amiga key was a C= key!

The keyboard was very different, low profile and different key spacing for the top function keys.

All up the A500 + 1084 cost me $1,200 Aus
a large investment considering I had previously spent thousands on my C64 + peripherals only a year before!

Az

Last edited:

rkauer

Amiga fanboy
Country
Brazil
Region
São Leopoldo, RS
Boards from 1986 are surely the revision 3, they used the Cherry keyboard (which still is the best Amiga keyboard ever), and the red power LED who does not stay lit when some software disable the audio filter.

Top Bottom