Backing up Amiga game disks?

AndyLandy

Acceleration!
Treasurer
Country
UK
Region
Southampton
So, I fancied a quick whirl on Zool last night, but despite having two copies of Zool and one of Zool II, none would work, since the floppies have passed their sell-by date.

Acutely aware that many of my other Amiga floppies are likely to be on their way out, how can I back them up, either to new floppies, or as disk images?
TransADF is great for DOS disks, but the NDOS copy-protected ones are more of a problem. I'd like to not lose some any more of my games, just because the disk has failed.

ajk

AmiBayer
Country
Finland
Region
Helsinki
X-Copy used to be the popular choice for NDOS disk copying, but even that can't handle all copy protections. Some rely on the disk being mastered in ways that the regular floppy disk controller can't reproduce. There are special controllers, like the Kryoflux thingy, that can do it.

Harrison

Country
UK
Region
West Sussex
It's probably one of the things a Catweasel could be useful for.

Failing that, as you own originals of the games, why not just create new copies of the game disks using some of the readily available cracked versions of the games. It isn't illegal to use a cracked copy of a game if you already own it. PM me if you need more details.

AndyLandy

Acceleration!
Treasurer
Country
UK
Region
Southampton
It's probably one of the things a Catweasel could be useful for.

Failing that, as you own originals of the games, why not just create new copies of the game disks using some of the readily available cracked versions of the games. It isn't illegal to use a cracked copy of a game if you already own it. PM me if you need more details.

It's a fair point. I'd thought about using cracked copies, but one of the reasons I've not gone down that route is I find the 'warez attribution' really quite obnoxious and annoying. I don't want to have to click through some lame "Craxx0red by LeetH0us3! Grtx to Ub0rcrax and N1mblB01" screen every time I play a game I have legitimately purchased ;-)

As it happens, I just remembered that I have Zool on the "Best of Gremlin" CD. I'll have to dig out my Squirrel SCSI when I get in tonight ;-)

PymerOne

Noob pur sang
AmiBayer
Country
Netherlands, Europe
Region
NoordHolland, Far side of civilisation's border.
Dear AndyLandy,

me thinks TSGUI could be a great tool to create a diskimage from a diskette, it also can write a diskimage to a diskette.

Grtz, PymerOne.

HeZoR

Amiga Rules
AmiBayer
Country
Greece
Region
Nomos Pellis
Hi AndyLandy,
I'd recommend floppyflux from aminet to make adf copies of all your floppy disks to preserve them and gunzip or zip them later.
It works with most ndos disks also.

For amiga copies I'd use D-copy.
For original copies I'd recommend an external floppy drive and the hardware adaptor used in the 23pin connector.

AndyLandy

Acceleration!
Treasurer
Country
UK
Region
Southampton
Hi AndyLandy,
I'd recommend floppyflux from aminet to make adf copies of all your floppy disks to preserve them and gunzip or zip them later.

For original copies I'd recommend an external floppy drive and the hardware adaptor used in the 23pin connector.

OK, I have D-copy and an external DF1. What's this adapter of which you speak? Where can I get one? Or can I make it myself?

Thanks for the input so far, folks!

HeZoR

Amiga Rules
AmiBayer
Country
Greece
Region
Nomos Pellis
Hi AndyLandy,

OK, I have D-copy and an external DF1. What's this adapter of which you speak? Where can I get one? Or can I make it myself?

Thanks for the input so far, folks!

Yes, have a look at this:
http://www.amiga-hardware.com/showhardware.cgi?HARDID=718

I made one myself, simplier adaptor, i think the software I used is cyclone.
Also another great copier is solocopy, that could copy very well some ndos disks having errors.

Tomse

RISK is good
AmiBayer
Country
Denmark
Region
Copenhagen
I remember something called nibble copy or something.. afair it could copy alot of copy protected games

R

Rixa

Are you familiar with Software Preservation Society? You dump your disks with a special tool and send the data for analysis. Eventually you should get a pristine .IPF format image back. It is supposed to be a perfect digital replica of the physical disk, with all the copy protection intact. They only take unmodified originals, and presently only games. I understand they have recently expanded to platforms other than the Amiga, too.

Unfortunately this will not help you much with the real hardware, as I don't know how to get them back to real floppies. Many protections are quite impossible to write back to real disks with unmodified hardware. Perhaps their new hardware, the KryoFlux, can do it.

rkauer

Amiga fanboy
Country
Brazil
Region
São Leopoldo, RS
You can find a TOSEC package with your game on those p2p sharing programs, inside the package normally is the original along with cracked versions.

As they are all in .adf format, all you need is TSGUI or TRANSADF to get your original disk back.

ChrisUnionNJ

We Will Never Forget..
Country
USA
Region
Union,NJ
I use to use mavrick it worked very well,they also had a version for the C64
as well...

Chris :coffee:

Tomse

RISK is good
AmiBayer
Country
Denmark
Region
Copenhagen
I didn't know they had Mavrick for amiga, used it to backup my Gunship and Stealthfighter disks, which took a long time, but did the job :)

if the quality is as good as for the C64, and your game is located in it's database, then you are set if you can find it :)

ChrisUnionNJ

We Will Never Forget..
Country
USA
Region
Union,NJ
How do you find out if something is freeware now??

Chris :computertrash::explode

Tomse

RISK is good
AmiBayer
Country
Denmark
Region
Copenhagen
technically its not freeware but abandonware..
the producers don't sell the software anymore, and you cannot get support for it either.

if you go to the producers homepage and they don't list it as part of their products, and don't list it as part of their support page.
then you can call it abandonware.
If you still feel troubled about using a piece of software thats not listed on their homepage, you can always contact the company and ask.

If a company directly has released their software to the public, its freeware.
like Cinnemaware has done : http://www.cinemaware.com/vault.asp?vault=games

R

Rixa

You may not care about this for your purposes, but a copy produced with Maverick may not be an entirely faithful clone.

I'm not familiar with Amiga version of Maverick, but I have the C64 version. Bundled is several disks worth of game-specific parameters. The reason for that is that a lot of the later protections can't be written back to real floppies with unmodified hardware, so Maverick partially hacks them during the copy. The parameters tell it what needs to be done for each title.

Buzzfuzz

Amiga tweaker
AmiBayer
Country
Netherlands
Region
Zuid Holland
I remember something called nibble copy or something.. afair it could copy alot of copy protected games

That is an option within X-Copy.
For backup I use EasyADF from Amigakit, and so far I was able to backup many disks, but I have not tried NDOS / copy protected disks.
Will give it a try some day, but I'm still suffering from a wisdom teeth extraction and still not have much energy to carry on with the Amiga's.

ChrisUnionNJ

We Will Never Forget..
Country
USA
Region
Union,NJ
I didn't know they had Mavrick for amiga, used it to backup my Gunship and Stealthfighter disks, which took a long time, but did the job :)

if the quality is as good as for the C64, and your game is located in it's database, then you are set if you can find it :)

Here's a Screen shot..

Chris :coffee:

Attachments

• Maverick 50.PNG
    Maverick 50.PNG
    20.6 KB · Views: 1
Top Bottom