Bargain hunting on a certain site *cough*

Merlin

Ministry of Retr0bright and Street Judge
VIP
Country
UK
Region
Manchester
I must admit that I only frequent Fleabay these days for stuff that I can't get elsewhere at sensible prices, such as Spectrum keyboard membranes, IDE-CF adapters and the like.

Occasionally, I may throw the odd £5 or so at an item, just to see if I manage to win it, without getting caught in bidding wars. If I don't win it, it's no big deal.

Anyway, on Friday I won something interesting; I bid <snip> ... </snip> for a Nintendo DS that was originally fully working but had a broken hinge, but had stopped working after the seller had transferred the innards to an aftermarket case.

I won!! :mrgreen:

I don't expect it to be a big problem to fix it, maybe checking out the power switch was located correctly (a weak point on these consoles) and make sure that the fuses are not blown. It could work out to be a serious bargain and if I do manage to fix it, I'll post about it on here. OK, there was some postage cost on top <snip> ... </snip>, but even that wasn't a disaster. Result!

Have any of you managed to score a bargain item for silly money from another site recently?

[edit]
Sorry Merl, I know you didn't mean it that way but it could be taken as price driving, as such I have had to use the editors scissors. Z

Last edited:

Tajmaster

Truth, Justice, all that stuff.
Country
UK
Region
Bradford, West Yorkshire
Great buy with the DS Merlin!! They are great consoles and I loved mine when I had it way back when they first came out :)

As for bargains, Ive got loads I could mention but would that be considered price driving? :oops: Its the one thing I really wish I could discuss with like minded people here on Amibay cos we all love a bargain but alas if we did it would be a fine line we would tread :roll:

fitzsteve

Retired Slacker
AmiBayer
Blogger
Country
UK
Region
Sevenoaks
Yep, when I got my Mediator setup it came from an Elbox Tower that I bought from ebay. It was poorly described as the guy selling it didn't know much about it but I could tell from the pictures what was in there.

It was a bit of a gamble because I was not 100% sure it would work, included were Elbox Tower, A1200 Mobo, Mediator, Voodoo 5 5500, 2x Bliz 1230 (one DOA), 10x 64mb Simms which I sold here cheap. Teratec Soundcard, FastATA MkIII, OS3.1 (new sealed) OS3.9.

Also turned out the FastATA and Mediator included original Box/Manuals/Disks.

The kit all went in my EZ Z4 Tower and I sold the bits I didn't need on the cheap here :cool:

Can't comment on the prices due to site rules but lets just say it was cheaper than buying a Mediator from Elbox in the end.

Oh and the best bit, the guy was passing Sevenoaks visiting his parents so even delivered it FOC for me!

Steve.

salaxi54

Incoming ASROC!
AmiBayer
Blogger
Country
GREECE
Region
Athens
Not exactly silly money, but really still a bargain on a working LCD panel for a 12" iBook G4 at a low 2-digit amount. But since you mentioned the Spectrum membrane, i find it silly that it usually sales for more than xx pounds when you can probably find a whole ZX for that dough! That's fleabay we're talking about, and i certainly have no intentions for price-driving anyway; some may consider both your and mine experience the opposite, but oh well.. :)

Last edited:

AndyLandy

Acceleration!
Treasurer
Country
UK
Region
Southampton
Apart from the old IDE-CF adapters you can get on there for about a quid, my only real recent bargain was my A3000. I don't want to get into price-driving, but suffice it to say I paid more for the A2000, and I got that for a very reasonable price.

Oh, I also swung a bunch of Zorro cards including a Z3 Fastlane for similarly reasonable prices a few months back. Not quite bargain-basement, but considerably less than the usual going rate for such items.

tokyoracer

(Not actually from Tokyo).
Blogger
Country
United Kingdom
Region
Norfolk
Nice work getting that but I have to agree with Taj, I'd class your thread as price driving.
Just because it's cheap, as an Admin of the site it's a rule you would usually enforce.

We're all only human it's an easy rule to break when you like to discuss flukes like that (I would have loved to discuss a few of the finds I have gotten in the past).

AndyLandy

Acceleration!
Treasurer
Country
UK
Region
Southampton
Nice work getting that but I have to agree with Taj, I'd class your thread as price driving.
Just because it's cheap, its a rule you would usually enforce.

I guess its an easy rule to break when you like to discuss flukes like that.

Haha, it could go that way, couldn't it?

To be honest, if we're asking "what did you swing on the Other Bay for a fiver or less?" it's not really price-driving. Still, I can see that this thread could easily be derailed and head that way.

tokyoracer

(Not actually from Tokyo).
Blogger
Country
United Kingdom
Region
Norfolk
Just because it's cheap, its a rule you would usually enforce.

I guess its an easy rule to break when you like to discuss flukes like that.

Haha, it could go that way, couldn't it?

To be honest, if we're asking "what did you swing on the Other Bay for a fiver or less?" it's not really price-driving. Still, I can see that this thread could easily be derailed and head that way.
I understand where your coming from but mentioning a price should be thought as price driving regardless whether it's a one off bargain or not.

Rules should be rules if you ask me. . .

Zetr0

Ya' Like it Retr0?
Country
UK
Region
Norfolk
The thing with "Bargin" hunting is just that...

Finding something you want at a low price - being told its a bargin means nothing if you dont want it.... which more often than not is the case.

However I do buy a lot of little things - mainly electronics based in nature etc. but here are my last 5 purchases which I felt were a good to very lucky price

My last 5 purchases on eBay (over the last two months)

• 5x 3.3GB CF compact Flash ATA/IDE (3.3volt Microdrives) - tis good I have many 3.3v regulators lol!
  • Amiga CD32 Console
  • 5x Turned SIL Header strip (20 way 0.1" pitch)
  • Electrically Conductive Silver Paint
  • ACARD AEC-7726Q LVD SCSI to IDE Bridge

Merlin

VIP
Country
UK
Region
Manchester
It's a fair shout guys and Z has already edited the post accordingly. As I am not aware of the item mentioned being sold on here, it's not likely to have done any harm.

Tajmaster

Truth, Justice, all that stuff.
Country
UK
Region
Bradford, West Yorkshire
Maybe one day if there is an Amibay event of some sort we can all boast about our amazing bargains and put face to names too (y) :D:D

:grouphug:

StrontiumDog

Banned
Country
United Kingdom
Region
The Willen Lake
Everytime I read Zter0's comments I keep on seeing this lol

Pin%20LOTR%20Gandalf%20Shall%20Not%20Pass.jpg

Zetr0

Ya' Like it Retr0?
Country
UK
Region
Norfolk
@blanky

See thats the sign I have on my back gate ;)

dj.echo

Banned
Country
UK
Region
EASTSUSSEX
Bargains

Bargains

i got scsi/ide bridgeboard for <a snip of a much higher established price> almost paid <said higher price> for the same thing on another amiga seller site not kit if any one wants site addy for <said snip> pm me(y)

[edit]
dj.echo, sorry my friend, I know you didin't mean it but it could be construded as price driving/guiding -
Z.

Last edited by a moderator:

Brataccas

AmiBayer
Country
Swindon
Region
Wiltshire
I get the odd bargain here and there, mainly IT related but i have had some good ones lately for my Aquariums...

Eheim Professional 3 2078 External Filter for 1/10th the retail price :) Came with the expensive USB adapter too so i can check my Aquarium levels when out and about!

Eheim Professional 3 2075 External Filter for 75% less than retail :)

JBL CO2 Solenoid, new and still sealed for about 1/20th the retail price :)

Arcadia 2ft 4x54w T5 Luminaire for about 1/10th Retail price

Arcadia 4ft 2x54w T5 Luminaire for about the same price as an A1200 :)

4x 1GB Sticks of DDR2 PC-6400 OCZ Platinum, cost less than a sandwich from Subway let`s put it that way :)

Can`t remember the others off hand but if i do i`ll add them!

Cheers,

Merlin

VIP
Country
UK
Region
Manchester
YAY!!

:arms:woot:

A quick teardown and rebuild of the Nintendo DS later and it works!! (y)

Now, what went wrong?

On the various models of Nintendo DS, there are 4-pin ribbon cables that fit into connectors with a sliding locking mechanism, not unlike those you see inside laptops. The big difference with the ones in the Nintendo is that the ribbon goes over the top of the sliding locking device, not under it, as you would expect with laptop connections. The locking clip pushes the ribbon up, not down.

For the tri-wing screwdriver required to open the DS (and also the Wii, I believe), a local phone shop or a certain auction site *cough* may help.

So, I now have a serious bargain Nintendo DS v1 that just needs a stylus and a charger.

Result!!

iainjh

AmiBayer
Blogger
Country
England-Shire, UK
Region
High Wycombe,UK
Random act of kindness merlin - if you'd like a stylus pm me and I'll post u one, gratis :)

Merlin

VIP
Country
UK
Region
Manchester
It's a DS 'Phat' model - the one from the DS Lite doesn't fit. If you have the correct one you are a god!!

:bowdown:

PM sent

Top Bottom