*bay Buy It Now Changed to Add To Basket - Rubbish!

anagrama

Country
England
Region
Manchester
Has anyone else noticed the new Add to Basket function on ebay?

Heres what they say about it...

"eBay will be testing a new shopping basket that will make it easier for buyers to purchase multiple items from multiple sellers. It will support both fixed price and auction-style listings from all eBay sellers in a single site-wide shopping basket experience. For fixed price listings, a new “add to basket” button will replace “Buy It Now” on the item page, and buyers will have to checkout and pay for the item in order to purchase it. Until the payment is made, the item can be purchased by another buyer. This should help reduce instances of unpaid items."

Now what happens in the situation where I see something and want to buy it, its a newly listed item so I have to be quick. But wait, my paypal account and bank account is empty. This means that I cant buy it and someone else will beat me to it !!! But wait, ive got money in my wallet to pay for it, i just need to bank it the next day. Or perhaps im getting paid the next day or even better I live just around the corner so want to collect and pay cash! But by that time ive lost the item for good.

As a seller I dont mind waiting a few days for payment for an item so I want my item to be available to every buyer. Not just those with so much money they can afford to have a spare few hundred sat in their paypal account!

Its a real :censored: feature and another reason to not want to use ebay any more than I have to. Basically they are forcing you to pay instantly on all buy it now style auctions, this isnt good for the buyers or sellers.

Your thoughts please...

Dagger

Dagger
AmiBayer
Country
UK, Dagenham
Region
Essex
Understand where you are coming from Anagrama but I think Ebay are trying to cut down on the amount of non payers. Since they stopped the ability of the seller to leave a Neg FB the amount of non payers has got quite high.

anagrama

Country
England
Region
Manchester
Ive just noticed that under firefox it shows as add to basket but using internet exlorer then its still the original buy it now.

I know that they are trying to cut down the amount of none paying bidders but this system will spoil it for a huge amount of good bidders! For instance a sweet Amiga 4000 comes in on newly listed items and your the first one to see it but your accouts short, you have the money in your pocket to deposit the next day but as your forced to pay instantly your going to miss it. :(

It'll certainly put off a lot of buyers, resulting in a harder time for the sellers.

Templar

In Finem Vobis Videtur De Christiana
VIP
Country
Hellas
Region
Cydonia
Perfectly crap for me.

And what if you buy multiple items from the same seller using the "Add to Basket" function?

You have to pay each time the shipping costs for each one item, and then the seller must refund you the difference of the combined shipping costs... what a mess really. (n)

commodorejohn

Shameless recidivist
Country
United States
Region
Minnesota
The eBay M.O. these days seems to be features to make life easier for shoddy buyers at the expense of the people who actually know what they're doing. I haven't quite reached the "total swearing-off" point some people here have, but it's not for lack of trying on their part.

anagrama

Country
England
Region
Manchester
Well I signed in with a couple of accounts and one has the add to basket feature and the other has the buy it now feature, it turns out that this is a beta test method they are doing and you have the option to opt out of it, I did this but I cant get rid of it! Also I filled in their opinion page and wrote a nice long message to them pointing out all the bad things, when I clicked the send button I then got some sort of internal system error message.

Its as though eBay is run by some bloke sat in room on his own, plotting how to annoy his users even further! Its getting really shoddy too, only last month I had to email them as my items for sale wasnt showing up in the search engines via the firefox browser. An example of this was searching Amiga in ebay under firefox gave say 5300 results, yet under internet explorer the same ebay search done at the same time gave say 6000 results - That was 700 sellers that werent getting the correct service they had paid their fee's for. Anyhow I sent them an email and told them this as I had two pretty good items (none computers) for sale and with only a day left and they hadnt been showing up in firefox most of the week (on and off). About three weeks later I got a response from the eBay asking me for more details and times of searches etc but by this time the problem seemed to be sorted.

@ Phantom - Id never thought of that about the postage - Its a very good point, if someone lists 10 games you really want then you have no option but to pay a highly expensive shipping fee in the hope that the seller will refund the difference, which is a real pain in the :censored: !!!

Slayer

Country
New Zealand
Region
Dunedin
I'm a little confused by your problem here?

Isn't your paypal account just linked to your creditcard? I never have any money in my paypal account and I use it all the time...

Excuse my ignorance but if some people choose not to have a visa or worse can't get a visa then they need to accept there limitations?

Slayer runs off to hide

also there is plan B for the younger people, use ma or pas visa which is linked to there PP account ;-)

matt020

Finger lickin' good
AmiBayer
Blogger
Country
Australia
Region
Western Australia
When did they stop negative feedback? And for what reason?

Top Bottom