BBC Model B - Advice required

Yesideez

Country
UK
Region
Cranbrook, Devon
Hi,

The BBC Model B was my first computer, bought from a neighbour after borrowing their Speccy 48K.

Not been in touch with these although I know you needed a DFS chip to use a disk drive as it never came with one. Mine didn't.

I own an Amiga and have flashed a couple Gotek drives myself and I'm wondering what's available for the Beeb and how do they operate? I mean, how do you select a disk/tape image file to load? Can all devices be used to write back to a memory card/USB stick?

What's the going price nowadays? I've seen a couple on eBay but the prices are fluctuating so much it doesn't really give much of a clue.

Don't want an emulator - would prefer the real hardware :)

Many thanks :)

soeter04

Country
Netherlands
Region
NH
Can't comment on prices here mate.
You could search for old sale threads to get an impression though...

soeter04

Country
Netherlands
Region
NH
OK,how about the other info then please?
Not very knowledgeable on the Beebs myself mate, but a quick search yields little information on using GOTEK drives with a Beeb. The HxC floppy emulator does seem compatible with it, but i haven't got a clue about the exact (im)possibilities you'll face. Curious about it myself, so i'll be following this thread with above average interest :)

Yesideez

Country
UK
Region
Cranbrook, Devon
The Gotek on the Amiga operates by booting the device with bank 000 selected. The Amiga would boot, read the ADF files on the stick and present a menu. A bit cumbersome but the price of the HxC makes it worth it as Gotek you can use files right from the net whereas HxC you have to convert them first.

I'm hoping the BBC has support for a much better system, like emulating a cartridge or something to choose the disk/tape image on the press of a button.

SOGeekBoy

Country
United Kingdom
Region
Hampshire
Hmm, got a BBC Master myself.The Beeb works with 'normal' Shugart floppy drives so I imagine the gotek device will work just like any normal 3.5" drive would.I find the easiest ways to get data on and off of the Beeb is to find a copy of the DOSFS ROM. This lets the Beeb read FAT12 floppy disks, just type *DOS where you'd normally type *DISC. For a Model B you'll need to get it on EPROM or get a sideways RAM board.A few things to watch out for though:Check if your floppy controller is a i8271 or a wd1770, one of them can only do single density discs (the i8271 I think) and the other supports both single and double density discs.DFS only works with single sided discs, this isn't a big deal since a double-sided floppy drive (like the gotek I imagine) is really just two, consecutively-numbered, single-sided floppy drives (0: and 1: for the first drive, 2: and 3: for the second). It's kind of hard to 'flip' a gotek over, so it's probably be best to split any flippy discs into two images. (DOSFS and ADFS can work with both single and double sided discs so they don't have this problem).The last issue that I can think of is that PC floppy drives are usually setup to be 2: and 3: there's sometimes a jumper or a switch to make it 0: and 1:. I think Amiga drives did things the 'right' (non-IBM) way, so the gotek will probably be setup fine, but if it isn't you might need to configure it or get a cross-over cable.This is all from memory mind you.BTW: The Beeb does have a much better system; it's called MOS. :)You can set the current DFS or ADFS disk to *EXEC a !BOOT file when you press SHIFT+BREAK with "*Opt 4, 3".A "*CHAIN basicfile" line in !BOOT will load and run the basic program of your choice (which can be a program-selection menu that will *CHAIN or *EXEC other programs).If you have a sideways RAM board you can even put the commands to upload a 16K ROM image in !BOOT then do a soft reset (or otherwise convince MOS to add the 'new' ROM) to get your ROM software working.

- - - Updated - - -

Sorry for the wall-o-text; VBullitin has apparently decided to eat all the newlines in my posts now. :(

sir_beaker

AmiBayer
Country
England
Region
Alresford
For the price you can't really go wrong with a Turbo MMC and it's all menu driven and autoloads if you hold the shift on booting. For the few games not on there you can either add them or I've attached a HxC and that works fine (y)

Last edited:

stephenfalken

Country
UK
Region
Lancashire
I agree with the TurboMMC option. I use it on mine and it's great and very fast. Not much point going down the Gotek road for the BBC.

This comes with it's own TurboMMC ROM which you install in the machine.

If you want to find a BBC in good refurbished condition, you should contact the member TheCorfiot as he is an expert with them and often has them for sale. I purchased one from him last year for a price well worth it for the peace of mind that the PSU had been refurbished and unlikely to blow the machine. Drop him a PM and see if he has any available.

Personally I wouldn't bother with one from fleaBay as there is no guarantee how long the PSU will last.

Kind Regards

roy_bates

resistance is futile!
AmiBayer
Blogger
Country
england
Region
birmingham
the power supplys are easy to fix...

the problem is,if you get one off ebay its probably been sitting in someones attic for 20 years and lots of them are either in a bad state(from schools) of repair or in unkown working condition.
if you buy one to fix up they can cost more in the end in parts than one thats already been repaired and refurbished to a nice working condition.

if your looking for one go for a later revision one,i did...

mine has nothing but an external 3.5 inch drive i added and sideways ram and 1770,and im happy with it:)

just need to pop round bas's and pick up my cub,lol

Last edited:
Top Bottom