Best 1541 drive emulation compatability with SD for 128D

Aysel

Country
England
Region
Mansfield
Hello all,

I have been looking at the UK1541 as a possible solution to running games and demos which are more reliant on the original 1541 timings... at the moment I just have the standard SD2IEC which is fine for single file demos but anything like the Booze Design stuff and two disk games don't work so well if at all.

Just wondered if anyone has had any particular success with an SD solution that has much better compatibility with the 1541 than the SD2IEC?

Thanks in advance!

b00mer

Country
Slovenia
Region
Maribor
Ultimate-2 works on my C128 without a problem and so does UK1541. I doubt there is anything else. On rare occasions the timings on U2 are off, and I have to repeat loading the demo. Haven't had such problems with UK but still I prefer U2 for everything C64/128 related. Remember that not every C128 likes U2.

diskers

Country
Poland
Region
Maz
I'm using the 1541 Ultimate II as far it's really quiet compatible with the 1541 drive

zekstra

Country
Serbia
Region
Pozarevac
Great news for me. Exactly what I need.
I've just pre-ordered and confirmed one unit.
Thx!

SkydivinGirl

Retro Girl
Country
USA
Region
Raleigh, NC
The only other option is the Chameleon but it's much more expensive than an Ultimate II. The UK1541 is really made for demos and is the least expensive option. I'm not sure how easy it is to find and buy one.

Heather

diskers

Country
Poland
Region
Maz
Gideon is now working on a more compatible implementation of the U2 core (version 3). And yes as said boomer not every C128 like the U2. I have two dekstop C128D and one normal C128, on the last one the U2 with the lastest available firmware works quiet fine (not as well as on the C64) but on the two C128D it's a pain in (censored). It hangs the computer randomly, cold boot with garbage on screen etc etc.

Aysel

Country
England
Region
Mansfield
Thanks for the feedback, appreciated..... sounds like the UK1541 is what I need but the website and Facebook pages seem to suggest it put out in relatively small runs.

Does look a nice solution and sounds like it will do what I need... SD2IEC is fine for cracked stuff and one file demo's but anything with copy protection, multi file or fast load/timed routines really doesn't like it.

I will pop a wanted add up and keep and eye on the blog :)

Top Bottom