Best A1200 interface for Data transfers ?

Rodpulsar

Country
France
Region
Paris
Hi guys (and girls ?) :)

I am planning on finding a way to accelerate transfer rates on my A1200 config. Actually it is made of the following parts :
- A1200 rev 1D4 with new capacitors
- Apollo 1260 64Mo without SCSI Interface
- 8Gb Compact Flash card :
- - HD0: 512Mb FFS
- - HD1: 7Gb PFS3 (AIO version)
- Lyra 2 interface
- Indivision MK2
- PCMCIA WPA Wifi Card (Orinoco gold)
- Subway USB (not sure if I'll keep it)
- OS3.9 + BB1, BB2 + WHDLoad licensed

Note : I have finally created the HD0 boot partition because I noticed that a lot of programs were unable to install themselves on the PFS partition (odd...?)

I noticed that my data transfers with this configuration are kinda low (how can I calculate it for sure ?) and I would like to enhance them.

To solve this point I hesitate between :
- getting an SCSI module for the Apollo but I read there are compatibility issues ? And I am not sure it will work well with a compact flash adapter...
- getting an IDE Fast ATA MKIV interface. It says 16Mb/s ? Is it really that better than SCSI ?
- getting an IDE Fix express card ? It Says 5Mb/s I think.
- getting any other solution I would not know ?

I need help there to think about the pros and cons :)

Thanks by advance !

Sir_Lucas

Country
UK
Region
Norfolk
What are the speed rates? What kind of CF card have you got?
You can check your speed of data using SYSINFO or SYSSPEED. Both of them can be found on Aminet.
Do you use the latest scsi.device? Do you Maprom your Kickstart and scsi.device? All of them will speed the transfers a little bit.

I've read that SCSI module of Apollo is not a good solution, but I haven't had the chance to test it myself. Maybe someone more experienced will tell you something about it.
FastATA is ok. I use it with my Blizzard 68060. The transfer rates should be around 9 - 10.5MB/s. It's a little bit CPU hungry, but it's ok. The other thing is that FastATA might collide with your Indivision MK2.

I have had no expereince with IDEFix as of yet.

Last edited:

jack-3d

kLik me
Country
Czech Republic
Region
Brno
SCSI kit for Apollos does not support DMA so it is not a better solution then Fast ATA. In case you would have Blizzard 1260, then the SCSI Kit with DMA and some Aztec Monster CF would be the best solution (DMA transfers and about 8 MB real speed without CPU touch). In your case buy a Fast ATA then you can get around 6 MB/s but CPU utilization at 100%.

Rodpulsar

Country
France
Region
Paris
The other thing is that FastATA might collide with your Indivision MK2.

- Do you mean physically or logically ?
- Thanks for the tips, I will do some tests with Sysinfo and Syspeed for a beginning :)

I forgot this Apollo SCSI non-DMA management :/

Rodpulsar

Country
France
Region
Paris
I bought a FastATA MKI that is working very well now (with some risers of course). However I could get more speed being able to choose PIO4 mode. Actually all my CF cards can't go past PIO3.

Anyone knows a good 8GB CF card brand that would work 100% in PIO4 ?

Rodpulsar

Country
France
Region
Paris
Actually I use a Kingston 8GB CF. I have no idea of more details, but it's probably kinda generic : i'll look at it this evening.

It's partitioned into 2 volumes :
- 512 MB FFS partition for System : Sysinfo 4 gives 5,7 MB/s
- 7,xx GB PFS3 partition for Data : Sysinfo 4 gives 6,5 MB/s

These are, I think, good results. I know that the difference comes from PFS vs FFS.
But after reading tons and tons of threads on this forum or others, it's supposed to be able to reach at least 8 to 9 MB/s with PIO4.

Nobody seems to be sure however of what type of CF could ensure a PIO4 use and its benefits...

jack-3d

kLik me
Country
Czech Republic
Region
Brno
Well as I can see you bought it from Stefan HERE. And Stefan has tested this Fast ATA MK1 HERE with results 6,5 MB/s. So I would think this can be the maximum for Fast ATA MK1. Most likely 8 or 9 can be reached with newer models. But all of that is my guessing, because I dont own Fast ATA (yet) ;o)

Rodpulsar

Country
France
Region
Paris
Yup you are right ;)

However :
- my ACA 1231 card gives me the same results as my 1260
- Stefan told me he eventually managed to use PIO4 with some CF.

That makes me think there is a gap from which I can get some more. And before buying tons of CF cards for testing purposes, I would like to understand first what spec could make the difference :)

motrucker

AmiBayer
Country
USA
Region
Annapolis, Maryland
I still use an older SCSI system in my A2000, so I am on the slow side. But, for the newer machines and accelerators, are there no real SATA options yet. It seems that would be faster (if they are available).

Rodpulsar

Country
France
Region
Paris
I just bought an MKIV from Fitzsteve, I will be able to do some more tests, post them and perhaps find differences between PIO modes, on CF cards and HDs (or no difference @ all once for all)

Top Bottom