Best video game music ever is from Turrican II, Turrican III / Mega Turrican

dougal

AmiBayer
Country
Malta
The music from Turrican II and Turrican III is in my opinion the best video game music ever.

And in a rare way i'd say that although it sounds a little different (but same tunes) I also love the Mega Drive version of Mega Turrican music just as much as the Amiga version.

Here is a cool video comparing the music between the Amiga & Mega Drive versions

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RAW1B3A_m_s

Mega Drive uses same tunes but they sound different but in their own way sound as awesome as the Amiga version.

Last edited:

DojoDan

Blogger
Country
UK
Region
West Midlands
I do love most music from the Amiga. I find it pretty distinctive, you can tell it's from the Amiga. But in this case I like the Megadrive version better, only just mind. I'm a sucker for MD music anyway. Cool vid btw, definately great sound tracks.

dougal

AmiBayer
Country
Malta
I know what you mean. The Megadrive version really does sound THAT great. I just can't decide, both versions sound so good in their own ways.

I do love most music from the Amiga. I find it pretty distinctive, you can tell it's from the Amiga. But in this case I like the Megadrive version better, only just mind. I'm a sucker for MD music anyway. Cool vid btw, definately great sound tracks.

ColourWheel64

Banned
Country
none
Region
none
Completely agree with the greatness of the Turrican musics. I especially love the second one how the character moves to the music. An effect lost with WHDLoad, as great as it is. The megadrive has a Yamaha soundchip that has sounds already stored on it, very much like a keyboard. Experts (such as Yuzo Koshiro) in using the chip can make it sound very excellent. On top of that the program sequence required is very small on disc. Paula basically plays samples, so songs end up being bigger because the sample data needs to be stored along with the program sequence. However, it does mean that the Amiga isn't as limited in what sounds it can play when compared to the Megadrive. Music tends to need to be played along side a game or multimedia application, and the more memory taken by a song means less for the game. This is great for the Megadrive, but not so good for the Amiga. The most significant flaw in the Amiga's sound is the number of channels available. It's possible to push it beyond the standard 4 with clever coding, especially with a faster processor, but adding more would have been a welcome improvement for the A1200. As we all know though, talent shines through in the end. Us (us as in the word, not americans!) Amigans were treated to some wonderful music. Has the poster listened to Pinball Illusions, Super Stardust, Alien Breed 2 and Desert Strike? If not, then you're in for a treat or two. Have a listen.

Last edited by a moderator:

Templar

In Finem Vobis Videtur De Christiana
VIP
Country
Hellas
Region
Cydonia
Lotus 2, Captain Blood, Flashback, Cannon Fodder, Hired Guns and the list goes on...

Bastich

Country
United Kingdom
Region
Staffordshire
I always preferred the music from Turrican 1 but the title screen animations on 2 did make it more interesting.

Borgy

Banned
Country
UK
Region
Wokingham
Huelsbeck was a genius with the Amiga - I've still got a signed CD he was selling at Cologne '93 with remastered versions of his best tracks. Fixes the above mentioned lack of channels on the Amiga although saying that I believe he claimed to use 7 tracks rather than the standard 4 by using clever coding in Turrican 2. Lovely guy as well - he happily signed his CD on my request. He is a legend in Germany and still active now (although not on Amiga obviously).

ColourWheel64

Banned
Country
none
Region
none
I always preferred the music from Turrican 1 but the title screen animations on 2 did make it more interesting.

I owned Turrican 2 before 1 and 3, so I wonder if that's the reason why I prefer the second so much.

My mate had 3 before 2 and 1, and his favourite is Turrican 3.

The three games are very similar as great as they are.

The same seems to happen with Sonic the Hedgehog too. I played the first before the others, and I only just prefer it to the second. I admit that the Sonic 2 is techniclly superior to the first, but there were so many wow moments I had while playing the first game that I had 'been there and done that' when I played the second game.

My fiancee is a few years younger than I am and her favourite is Sonic 3 and Sonic and Knuckles combined.

The same mate as before (who prefers Turrican 3), his favourite is Sonic 2. He got his Megadrive the christmas after Sonic 2's release and got it with the machine, so he got those wow moments while playing Sonic 2.

- - - Updated - - -

Huelsbeck was a genius with the Amiga - I've still got a signed CD he was selling at Cologne '93 with remastered versions of his best tracks. Fixes the above mentioned lack of channels on the Amiga although saying that I believe he claimed to use 7 tracks rather than the standard 4 by using clever coding in Turrican 2. Lovely guy as well - he happily signed his CD on my request. He is a legend in Germany and still active now (although not on Amiga obviously).

:bowdown:

Yeah, the 7 tracks are due to Factor 5's Musix system that was popular at the time.

Especially amazing since the games have plenty going on screen.

Last edited by a moderator:

Harrison

Country
UK
Region
West Sussex
I love retro game music, and also demoscene tracks.

However my all time favourite gaming music remains from most RPGs by Square, especially Final Fantasy.. The piano collections and live orchestral performances are amazing. And Nintendo are up their too with Zelda and their live music renditions.

Jameson

AmiBayer
Blogger
Country
Australia
Region
Queensland
Yessum, the Turrican series had great music, but so did many other games - the Shadow of the Beast series, Ghouls & Ghosts (Follin is a genius), Mig 29 has a great title tune and many others.

Top Bottom