besty way to test if floppy 5.25" and old isa cards are working

DAFFYDAFFY

Country
england
Region
Kilburn nw2
I have a few boxes full of old expansion cards and a some old harddrives/floppy drives + an old 5.25 floppy drive.

If i wanted to test some of these ,obviously the isa cards would need a computer with the right insert on the motherboard.

But i was wondering if it would be risky plugging something like an old 5.25 floppy into a newer computer.
Same goes for some of the older harddrives i want to check.

SaviorX

VCCUG
Banned
Country
Canada
Region
Calgary, Alberta
you are fine plugging the floppy into a newer computer, the power supplies normally still have the same +5/+12v molex connectors they always have. (obviously with the additional SATA connectors as well)

for older IDE drives i want to check i just use a USB->IDE cable/power supply, they are fairly common, but they would also be fine plugging into a newer system that supports IDE.

Last edited:

SaviorX

VCCUG
Banned
Country
Canada
Region
Calgary, Alberta
one thing with newer boards however is that you might not be able to actually test the floppy, as many boards have dropped floppy drive support (which is one of the reasons i keep several slightly older systems around, particularly a PII and a PIII, both also still have a few ISA slots as well), tho anything older than a year or 2 should still have a floppy connection. (well...maybe 3... :p )

Last edited:

DAFFYDAFFY

Country
england
Region
Kilburn nw2
Thanks, i think i have a few old comps that i can test the floppy on.
I'll have to check .

Last edited:
Top Bottom