This is one of the times you just hope
the weatherman is wrong 1 to 3 feet!!! :Doh:

Cryton

AmiBayer
Country
england
Region
Leicestershire
well fingers crossed he meant inches not feet ! mind that would still cause chaos here :p

johnim

VIP
Country
England
Region
birmingham
Yes over there you carry on as normal but over here it stands still when we get any snow

take care Chris

rossi46

Country
Melrose, Roxburghshire, UK
Region
Scotland
I saw this on the news app this morning. It's going to be rough if the weatherman is correct :(

I'm hoping it'll be all clear for the Mets' Opening Day as we're planning to come across the pond for that.

salaxi54

Incoming ASROC!
AmiBayer
Blogger
Country
GREECE
Region
Athens
Forecast says you'll be having 12 to 16 inches of snow accumulation, weather bad from noon today till tomorrow. That's not really too much snow, but it all depends on various parameters.
Just take caution, and don't move outside too much if not necessary. You've certainly plenty of gadgets n stuff to keep you busy inside! (y)

SkydivinGirl

Retro Girl
Country
USA
Region
Raleigh, NC
One of the reasons i moved to the south. I hope you get through it without much trouble. :)

Heather

demolition

AmiBayer
Country
Denmark
Region
Copenhagen
Better set up on of these outside to fight the snow:
S251-0002_chiclet01_aa_2826955.jpg

It might not be very effective, but at least it sends a political signal to your neighbors that you are taking a stand against the cold. :)

Last edited:

ChrisUnionNJ

We Will Never Forget..
Country
USA
Region
Union,NJ
well fingers crossed he meant inches not feet ! mind that would still cause chaos here :p

Well In Staten Island there saying 30 to 36+ inchs i'm in NJ and my area is 18 to 25 inchs
but what I hate most is I can't just run out there and shovel the walk and dig my van out
with my health problems..

Amiga Forever

AmiBayer
Blogger
Country
UK
Region
Yorkshire
England Snow joke on Daily Mail about 2 to 4 inches of snow is Nothing:roll: compare like of Canada and USA Snow which is 3 F O O TS of Snow! :blink:

kronuz

Country
Norway
Region
Oslo
Hmm... How come you guys don't have snow tires with steel rods, shovel and chains in your car? Every winter I hear about whole countries collapsing over a lousy foot of snowfall over a day or two :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

supaduper

AmiBayer
Country
England
Region
west midlands
LoL,I think our winters in england are no where as bad as yours in Norway Kronuz, but I always have a shovel in the boot in winter time :) also its a legal requirement in your country isn`t it.
but I agree in some of the USA states you will think they would have what you mentioned

Last edited:

demolition

AmiBayer
Country
Denmark
Region
Copenhagen
Problem with chains is that you need to know how to attach them and use them or you could easily damage your car. If there's only a few days a year on average where it could be useful, then it would be simpler to just not drive those days.

kronuz

Country
Norway
Region
Oslo
Hehe yeah. Over here you get stripped of your license on the spot, if caught driving with summer tires on snow/ice ;)

Demolition: if only people could actually not drive on those days :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

protek

"Takai desu ne." -"Jinsei da."
Country
Finland
Region
Oulu, Pohjois-Pohjanmaa
Problem with chains is that you need to know how to attach them and use them or you could easily damage your car. If there's only a few days a year on average where it could be useful, then it would be simpler to just not drive those days.

I think chains are only useful in very extreme conditions. And I mean steep icy hills. Studded or friction winter tyres should be enough on regular winter conditions.

kronuz

Country
Norway
Region
Oslo
I understand steel rods being banned, but not having all-rubber snow tires in central europe...well, that´s just dangerous.
There are a LOT of accidents in Norway with foreign cars and trailers involved, because they´re driving from another country, down south-east, with slick summer tires.

rootboy

Country
United States
Region
Tennessee
Growing up in Colorado, any sensible person that lived in the country (like where I grew up, at 2.2 Kilometers in altitude), would have chains to go over their studded snow tires, sand (or Kitty litter - preferably unused), bottled water, a blanket, jumper cables, a tow strap or tow chain, and a note from their mom before going out on the roads in the winter (technically, you *could* get stuck in the snow year around, but you would have to put some effort into it).

Colorado also has chain laws for the mountain passes, and "hurricane" barricades to close off roads (not unlike what you see in the Coastal South). If you are caught without chains on the pass, or you try to skirt the barricade, there will be problems with the law (offhand I don't know what the fine is). I still remember the ching-ching-ching music that they made as they go down the road. :)

And like you, we would have tourists (Texans, usually) show up completely unprepared. Not that we never got stuck, but we had the means to deal with it.

And this folks, is why I live in Tennessee.

ChrisUnionNJ

We Will Never Forget..
Country
USA
Region
Union,NJ
For me it was more about getting stuck
in the house and losing power..

As for tire's most of the one's sold now
a days are called All season tire's..

My father use to use chains in the rear
and studded in the front..