Oslo
Story on AW.net
AW.net profile

Story on aros-exec.org
Aros-exec profile
Aorg profile for completeness
Amigans profile for completeness

Engadget on the story

So the story is that this guy Leo Nigro (BigBenTheAussie) was made CTO of Commodore USA by it's owner Barry Altman after lots of email exchanges. Leo plans to fund AROS development with Commodore USA money, preinstall AROS on them next to Windows and Ubuntu (see YouTube video) and wants to cooperate with Cloanto to put AmigaForever and C64Forever software on the machine (on AROS side).

Previously Commodore Gaming has claimed that Commodore USA doesn't have any talks with them, but Leo is adamant that papers are being finalized and they are shipping pre order machines by the 100s every month and that they have 10000 preorders so far.

There seems to be hurdles in the way, discussion between Stephen iMica "ClusterUK" and Leo isn't as fluent as it should be, as Commodore USA largely use the same components as the iMica. Also Phoenixconsole of the ARES One machines is very tentative about this "new player" on the block, I guess they're vary considering the Commodore name being involved and it's checkered past given who's been license holders and how successful they've been in the past.

Most "fantastic" in this story is Leos assurance that the "Amiga Fantacy" model will actually be built by Commodore USA. For those of you who don't remember it or haven't seen it, we're talking about this puppy.

AMIGA-fantasy2.jpg

So, the disclaimer for this by Commodore USA isn't "two more weeks" rather "3 more weeks". I guess only time will tell.

thgill

Wears pants, sometimes...
AmiBayer
Country
USA
Region
Cincinnati, OH
Does he even have rights to use the Commodore or Amiga names? Assuming he stays with the Amiga Fantasy name.
:whistle:

edit: I think I am going to open a company called Commodore Ohio and see how far it gets me. Or maybe Commodore North America.

arnljot

Dad, gamer, nerd, amigian
Country
Oslo
Region
Oslo
Im sure that they can't use the name Amiga in any form or variant. According to DAX at AmigaWorld.net Amiga Inc lawyers have in may this year filed trademark violations against Commodore USA for the machine named "Commodore Amigo".

According to Leo (BigBenTheAussie) this name was only "tounge in cheek" and temporary. And that if Amiga Inc (he claimed Commodore USA hadn't heard from them) actually opposed the name, they'd just change it.

Commodore Fantasy would be an appropriate name I think. In all possible ways and meanings :p

arnljot

Country
Oslo
Region
Oslo
Trademarks doesn't expire if you renew them regularly and have them in use. :-/

Merlin

Ministry of Retr0bright and Street Judge
VIP
Country
UK
Region
Manchester
/Merlin senses that the sarcasm has been turned up to 11 in this thread.....

Attachments

• its 11.jpg
    its 11.jpg
    3.7 KB · Views: 1

arnljot

Country
Oslo
Region
Oslo
Well the trademark for AmigaDOS just went.

I think you're thinking of the copy right?

Mickey mouse is copy-righted. Disney is a trade mark. One day Mickey might be public domain, the name Disney won't as long as Disney is in business.

Merlin

VIP
Country
UK
Region
Manchester
If BSkyB can sue Skype for using the word 'Sky' as part of their name and get an initial win pending appeal by Skype, then copyright on names is all :censored:.......

commodorejohn

Shameless recidivist
Country
United States
Region
Minnesota
Hmm, interesting. Love the concept art, and I'd definitely like to see a truly new player in the personal-computer market, now that Be is dead and the Mac is a PC branded for hipsters with too much money. Still, I only hope that this doesn't end up costing $2300 like the X1000. Anybody in the Commodore community ought to know from the company's own example that inexpensive-but-functional hardware is the key to building market share in a field that already has major players.

Should be interesting to watch...

EDIT: after looking around the Commodore USA site for a bit, it looks like they kind of get the pricing thing. $700 for a Core 2 Duo machine with 2GB of RAM and 160GB HD isn't really cheap, but it's at least a pretty fair price, and the higher-end models are similarly reasonable; certainly, it's a far cry from the "you must be at least this rich to enter" approach the X1000 is taking. Still, why the #$&* do we need another PC clone?

Last edited:

arnljot

Country
Oslo
Region
Oslo
Well the phoenix goes as a barebone at about $475 at the commodore usa site now, you can order it and they will take money off you.

How long it takes before it reaches you is another matter, reports so far is that people are waiting for their machines. Before Leo became CTO he received his, obviously or the YouTube video would have been hard to make.

ChrisUnionNJ

We Will Never Forget..
Country
USA
Region
Union,NJ
Not good

Not good

I thought they were a US based company there contact phone # is in Ft. Lauderdale, Florida there begining to look like a scam...

Chris

AndyLandy

Acceleration!
Treasurer
Country
UK
Region
Southampton
One day Mickey might be public domain

In theory. Unfortunately, most governments cave in to lobbying pressure to keep extending Copyright terms. (Also, technically Mickey Mouse is a trademark of Disney, but specific episodes, e.g. "Steamboat Willie" are governed under Copyright)

arnljot

Country
Oslo
Region
Oslo
Andy, you're right. It's an important clarification (y)

This means that you can print lots of dvds of steamboat willie.

And market them under the title "Mouse on boat: Disease and hygiene in maritime life".

Zetr0

Ya' Like it Retr0?
Country
UK
Region
Norfolk
Personally I think this is either a very late April first or they are getting it in early for next year.

arnljot

Country
Oslo
Region
Oslo
Well, I don't know what to believe. The machine exists, there have been unboxing videos and previews on blogs for quite some time.

If the legalese of Trademarks are resolved with the trademarkholders, now that's the real question.

For these guys behind it, Leo and Barry Altman it's a bit sad if it all depends on them having the Commodore license rights. The product should be good enough in it's self to sell, and the Commodore name should be a bonus.

I hadn't heard about Barry before, but the tone from the Engadget article suggested he was a known size of some sort.

Jumping Anaconda

AmiBayer
Country
England
Region
Hertfordshire
One day Mickey might be public domain

In theory. Unfortunately, most governments cave in to lobbying pressure to keep extending Copyright terms. (Also, technically Mickey Mouse is a trademark of Disney, but specific episodes, e.g. "Steamboat Willie" are governed under Copyright)

Copyright is the one way that people that create intellectual property can actually lay claim to it and have a legal right to generate revenues that allow them to keep on creating the material that people enjoy. The Amiga trademark and copyrights are owned by other people who have made an investment in the right to own that name. They should protect their interests, it is quite understandable. There is no reason that someone who has made no investment in the brand should be allowed to thieve it.

Merlin

VIP
Country
UK
Region
Manchester
Maybe he's got permission from Lionel Ritchie to use the name Commodores..... :mrgreen:

:LOL:

arnljot

Country
Oslo
Region
Oslo
When you then say "Commodores Fantasy" it just becomes dirty :p

Top Bottom