Blasted businesses junk collectors

Station240

AmiBayer
Country
Adelaide,Australia
Region
South Australia
Blasted businesses and their old junk, why replace it when for just 10 easy payments of too much $$$ you can get NOS or refurbished parts to fix it. Then people on ebay join in. :Doh:

Never mind they could buy an entire new system for the same price

Anyone else finding certain parts that just aren't worth buying no matter how much of a collector you are ? Even worse much of it's not tested either. Especially when postage doubles the cost, I ain't paying for junk.

Ongoing battle here to get a MFM hard drive, why is it so :censored: hard to find one that has basic tests done and isn't way more expensive than a new CF kit ? Don't really care what type/size, but others do.

Harrison

Country
UK
Region
West Sussex
Supply and demand I suppose. If something is getting harder to find and people are looking, then some enterprising person will always be ready to exploit the market.

Some of the old Athlon 64 X2 socket 939 processors are still fetching mad prices on ebay. Mad when you consider these prices are equal to an Intel i3 530 which would run rings around them. I suppose some people want to just swap out their CPU for a faster one, rather than replacing the whole lot.

Anyone else finding certain parts that just aren't worth buying no matter how much of a collector you are ?

Yeah, higher end Amiga accelerators. I would love and 060 or even PPC accelerator to play around with, but not at the prices they still command. Considering how old the hardware is..

Merlin

Ministry of Retr0bright and Street Judge
VIP
Country
UK
Region
Manchester
A cheapo IT manager where I work replaced the original Compaq Deskpro EN P3 machines with some second-hand HP Compaq D530 P4 machines and cheap TFT monitors back in early 2007. Within a year they were having problems and I had the only machine with a CD-RW, as I shared the MD's office and he needed me to do his backups as he is somewhat unl33t with PCs. The IT manager that cut corners left the company not long after...

We got a new IT manager shortly after and his first task was to update and replace our old IBM servers and 1990's vintage ERP software. It's only in the last nine months or so that we all finally got brand new HP Compaq Athlon X2 machines and new 17" HP LCD monitors.

Credit where it's due; things aren't bad at work on the IT front these days....(y)

AndyLandy

Acceleration!
Treasurer
Country
UK
Region
Southampton
The thing that irks me the most is the WEEE scam that some companies have going.

Business has to dispose of end-of-life IT equipment, so pays some company to dispose of the equipment. WEEE people come in, take servers and some money for the privilege, thank you very much. Then, they take those servers and flog 'em on eBay to someone else and pocket even more cash. Bloody disgraceful if you ask me!

jvdbossc

HypnusBE
Country
Belgium
Region
Antwerp (province)
I have a business contact who gets all the old stuff or stuff to destroy the data, he is starting a second hand store.

I don't wan't to negototiate, but I would be glad to introduce him if anybody needs something server-company wise.

rkauer

Amiga fanboy
Country
Brazil
Region
São Leopoldo, RS
@Jurgen: save the SCSI (and PATA IDE) HDs! Amigaland (and other retro computers too) will thank you!

Buzzfuzz

Amiga tweaker
AmiBayer
Country
Netherlands
Region
Zuid Holland
Yeah, higher end Amiga accelerators. I would love and 060 or even PPC accelerator to play around with, but not at the prices they still command. Considering how old the hardware is..

I agree :D

But the thing is, if you would own a CS PPC you wouldn't sell it for half of what they go now.
I couldn't resist the temptation, and gave Mousehouse the price that an A4000T goes for and this was for a CS PPC 060/200.

It's just what the market does, if the prices fall and you try to sell if for twice as much, you'll probably won't sell it.
And if I wouldn't bought that CS PPC somebody else would have, cause he had like 10 pm's even people paying more for it than me :blink:

Your only hope is to buy a big load of Amiga's and just hope their is a Blizzard PPC, 2060 or CS PPC in it :wooha: :D:bowdown:

Top Bottom