Blizzard 1230 = 'read error on block blah blah blah'

HonestFlames

Country
England
Region
Shropshire
I tested my new 1230 today and the miggy booted up but when I click to load anything, I get read errors.

Tried 3 different sticks of RAM, same issue.

Fairly standard A1200 with a CF<->IDE adapter.

Works fine without the accel and works fine with a 25MHz '020 + 4MB accel.

I'm thinking it's a power problem. The 1200 came with a power supply allegedly from an A500, but I think someone swapped the innards of a 1200 PSU with those of an A500, because the PSU is very light.

The read errors manifest at around 10-20 seconds after powering on. If I boot with no startup sequence, I can run one or two commands before the errors begin.

Am I thinking along the right lines?

StrontiumDog

Banned
Country
United Kingdom
Region
The Willen Lake
Sounds defiitely like a distinct lack of power. I would suggest you find an actual old-style heavy A500 power brick and see if tha cures the problem.

HonestFlames

Country
England
Region
Shropshire
Thanks chap.

How I wish I hadn't left that old Goliath power supply at my old flat when I moved out :Doh:

rkauer

Amiga fanboy
Country
Brazil
Region
São Leopoldo, RS
The WEIGHT have nothing to do with the capacity of the power brick!

You need more than the meagre less-than-3A the original A1200 brick can supply.

Most A500 bricks with 4.3/4.5A on the +5V line will be enough to feed your Amiga. Check on the bottom of the PSU the power ratings.

[EDIT]Also, check the +5V voltage level on the floppy drive power connector. It must be in the 4.85 to 5.25V range and steady.

HonestFlames

Country
England
Region
Shropshire
I hear what you're saying, rkauer, but the easy way to tell an A500 from an A1200 PSU is the weight. The A500 is an old-style wire-wrapped-around-a-core transformer, where the A1200 PSU is a switched-mode supply (like ATX PSU's are). The A500 PSU provided more capacity than the A1200.

I used to power an A1200 + Blizzard 1230/FPU 16MB + 3.5" HD + Surf Squirrel + external floppy from a standard A500 PSU.

**EDIT** I know I'm not saying anything you don't already know, but for the purposes of others reading the thread ;)

rkauer

Amiga fanboy
Country
Brazil
Region
São Leopoldo, RS
Again, I have here more than 8 bricks. The beefier units are not the heaviers, in fact the good ones are very light. Old A500 units with step transformers normally only output 3A on the +5V line.

Buzzfuzz

Amiga tweaker
AmiBayer
Country
Netherlands
Region
Zuid Holland
Well cut the connector off at the psu and solder the wires to an atx psu and wire a switch to green and ground and you can switch it on/off.

HyperD

Country
Germany
Region
Deutscheland
Have you tried it without any "stick" ram?
Only the Turbocard.
The same problem?
There are many sort of rams having problems with the Turbocars

Zetr0

Ya' Like it Retr0?
Country
UK
Region
Norfolk
@HonestFlames

As has been mentioned here, try a more powerfull Power-supply. somthing that can give you alteast 3amps on the +5v line.

Personally I would suggest a moddified ATX PSU.

should that this NOT solve your problem then awmosoft pretty much hit the nail on the head - however when using

HDToolsBox you will need to change the MaxTransfers to "0x1FEFFFFF" on HDInstalTools its "0x1FE00000"

but your problem sounds very Power, or rather the lack of, related.

tokyoracer

(Not actually from Tokyo).
Blogger
Country
United Kingdom
Region
Norfolk
Like eveyone has been saying, I would think a heavy A500 type PSU is more then enough (it was for me until I used my Goliath).

I'd give that PSU a go first, ATX ones would certainly give you epic power though are not pretty seen on your work area.

R

Rixa

The 'light' A500 power are stronger than the 'heavy' ones. I have used one of them (promises 4.5A at 5V) for a while now to power my A1200 with a 1230-IV 68030@50 and 64M of memory, plus an Indivision AGA. No sign of insufficient power.

Before this I used a 'heavy' A600 power source (it promised 3A at 5V). I didn't have such problems with it, but after a while it did break. Maybe a coincidence, maybe not.. If I recall correctly the 'heavy' A500 power sources promise even less than 3A, but I'm not sure. 2.4A comes to mind.

HonestFlames

Country
England
Region
Shropshire
I absolutely stand corrected. However, the German A500 PSU's are supposedly the light, 4.5A units. The PSU I have claims German manufacture, yet if it can't power a Blizzard '030, something is suspect.

HonestFlames

Country
England
Region
Shropshire
I'm thinking now about my spare, old ATX power supply and how I could hook it up if I went to Maplins to pick up some supplies.

Oddly, I encountered a read error when using the 25MHz '020+4MB card yesterday evening. Rebooted and all was well again. Seems I get a problem not long after powering on.

I'm not a thickie, but my knowledge of electrical gubbins is lacking in this area. How do I trace my problem with certainty?

**EDIT**

Right, I cobbled together a quick hack to get some ATX power into the Amiga. I'm seeing exactly the same problem with read errors mere seconds after bootup. In fact, bootup didn't fully complete before read errors began occurring.

Bad caps somewhere on the motherboard? Would that give me this kind of weirdness?

**EDIT 2**

Maxtransfer set at 0xfe00 (I'd also tried 0x1fefffff) in HDToolBox (I'm running 3.1 Workbench and Kickstart). Thought this had improved things, but still again read errors seconds after booting up. No problems at all when I disable the Blizzard.

**EDIT 3**

After being switched on for a little while, it's behaving itself better but will still throw up read errors when loading certain things. Seems to be the same things each time, but it could be coincidence. Those things load fine without the accelerator active (so it's not an actual dodgy CF card!).

**EDIT 4**

Unbelievable. The evilbayer who I purchase the Amiga from bundled it with the IDE<->CF adapter. I've just had a close look at it only to find that one of the pins has been snapped off in an obvious accident (some minor damage to the PCB near the pin). It looks like pin 19 (if pin 1 correlates to the lower right pin on the Amiga board and they count upwards as you alternate right-left away from the front of the board). Pin 19 is Ground.

I'll attempt a bodgy solder job to reconnect the pin to ground, to see if it helps. I guess it will!

**EDIT 5**

OK, last update (hopefully). I soldered to connect the trace to pin 19 on the CF<>IDE adapter to the bottom-left pad in the 'unused' bit of the clockport (which I had to assume was ground, as there was continuity with the RF shield and a couple of other likely looking ground points.

Things seem to be working fine, which means I should probably put the original A1200 PSU back together and power it from there (thankfully I didn't cut the power connector, I desoldered it from the PSU PCB).

I now have an almost fully working A1200 with 030, 882 and 64MB RAM :) Floppy drive is just about dead, but I can live with that.

Phew!

Last edited:

rkauer

Amiga fanboy
Country
Brazil
Region
São Leopoldo, RS
Special Note: Pin 1 is closes to the 4-pin selector. Pin 19 may be missing, this is normal, and allows for cable polarity.

On some motherboards, pin 1 is usually indicated by a Square or Triangle, either on the solder pad, above label, or silkscreen markings.
From here

HonestFlames

Country
England
Region
Shropshire
Pin 20 is a key pin, which can optionally be missing to allow for keyed connectors. Pin 19 is ground. I got this info first from http://www.martinmellor.com/freebies/pinouts/IDE44_2_5_pinout.htm and then also http://www.repairfaq.org/REPAIR/F_Pinouts2.html#PINOUTS_027.

Grounding the trace from pin 19 which is physically still connected to the CF connector side has 100% cured all of the read errors I was experiencing. Maxtransfer I'd taken all the way down to 0xfe00 but now taken back to 0x1fe00. Large transfers work fine and speed is most excellent (quite a bit better than my old 80MB HD and later 1.6GBHD).

Quite how the numpty managed to damage the board in the first place, I'll never know. My preferred action now is to replace the CF<>IDE adapter with a working one, but at least I can now use the 030 and offer for sale the 020+4MB accel :)

Top Bottom