Retired Slacker
AmiBayer
Blogger
Country
UK
Region
Sevenoaks
Hi All.

Hope you're not all fed up with my many questions as of late, so much has been happening though on my Amiga front and I'm getting there one step at a time!

I've got my PPC up and running nice now with OS4 and OS3x dual booting, its been running fine and does not actually seem to get very hot, however I have had the sides of the case off for most of the time and once its all together I'm thinking of adding some extra cooling.

Firstly the fan on the back of the PPC card is very noisy from a cold boot (I gather this is somewhat normal as I have seen other people mention this) Once its booted up its nice and quiet and I can see that the fan is rotating without any problems.

Is there a better cooling solution for these cards or shall I just whack a fan on the heatsink?

Oh lastly, should the heat sink move/slide on the PPC chip? Or had it come away and in need of some thermal compound?

With the use of OS4 now only hitting the PPC chip all the time I don't really want to go and fry it after comming this far.

Cheers all!

Steve.

r0jaws

Mondeo Man
Country
UK
Region
Lincolnshire
Well mine was running a touch toasty, so I just added 2 slimline HSF, one to the PPC heatsink and one onto the 060.
Some people have replaced the original fan, and there is no reason why you can't do it, but I just decided to supplement the cooling as well as provide a separate cooling alternative in case of fan failure with the original.
Because we had been on and off with the original heatsink whilst investigating other alternative cooling methods, I had applied some frsh new thermal compound and there is a little sideways movement of the heatsink if you apply enough pressure. It is only held on with small clips after all.
There is nothing wrong with popping the old Heatsink off cleaning it up and bunging on some lovely arctic silver or some such if you feel the need. ;)

merlinkv

Country
Ukraine
Region
Kyiv
@fitzsteve

Is one A1200D, right?

Inside my old A1200D.... Indivison AGA, IDE-Fix, B1260, SCSI-Kit, 2.5 HDD (WD Scorpio, very quiet & fast)... So. system became very hot inside after one or two hours of work....

Some time a go I bought some RAM/VGA coolers (normally I use Zalman, very quiet fans), with two little fans each.

I dismount the fans and installed three little fans inside: two on the plastic top cover & another near to the B1260.

I don't know, but in my case, after this little mod, the A1200 are really quiet and works for hours/days continuous & stable.

I think, you don't need only dissipate heat from the BPPC, you need also a good air flowing inside......

In the case of A1200T you have the possibility to install bigger & quiet fans.....

---------- Post added at 10:48 ---------- Previous post was at 10:34 ----------

@fitzsteve

Sorry... forget my last post :Doh:

You use BPPC on A1200T....

fitzsteve

Retired Slacker
AmiBayer
Blogger
Country
UK
Region
Sevenoaks
Thanks guys, this is installed in my Tower and the previous user installed a small heatsink on the PPC cooler, maybe this is doing a good job already but maybe I think better to re apply some fresh thermal compound as suggesed.

I might replace the extra heatsink with a small fan I have (it was intended for an 040 I no longer have) I think it would be perfect :)

The Tower I have is an EZ Z4 I ran it for a while last night with the sides on and it was quite warm inside when I opened it up. I think I will install an exhaust fan at the rear of the case.

I have Blizzard 1260 in my Desktop A1200 and FastATA MKIII they don't seem to get hot enough for any extra cooling, I have the trapdoor off all the time and bigger feet to raise the A1200 for A) so the angled Simm fits and B) Airflow under - works a treat and the SCSI kit stops the blizzard fromdropping down.

Cheers as always!

Steve.

Top Bottom