Blizzard PPC Help

8bitplus

Country
UK
Region
West Yorkshire
Hi. I'm having problems with my BPPC card.

The main problem is that 8 out of 10 times I cannot get the system to boot. The power LED just flashes 7 or more times and then the amiga resets and it loops this behavior.

Interestingly when it does boot, it works perfectly.... no crash, no overheating and works perfectly in everything I give it. played BlitzQuake for hours last night for example.
Sometimes it boots but gives a recoverable guru 8000 0004 (or something similar) and continues to boot without problem after clicking mouse.

My setup.
Amiga 1200 1d.4 (with timing fix by the looks of it)
Mediator TX
Voodoo3
400w ATX PSU
BPPC 200mhz - 060 to 50mhz

I have already tried re-flashing the card, which completed successfully. And I have cleaned and re-cleaned the motherboard connector, mediator passthrough and BPPC pins. I've also made sure the card is in a good position, not "hanging" in tower.

The card seems to have had an interesting life so far. The seller told me its been upgraded to 060 and the 603 replaced with 200mhz chip. The clock multipliers are clearly replaced, and a SIM socket is not original (I do not use this socket atm).

Every time I'm about to give up it starts working perfectly again :Doh:, very inconsistent and aggravating. I've owned 3 other BPPC's in my time and never had this problem.

Does anyone else have any recommendations or experience with a problem like this?

8bitplus

Country
UK
Region
West Yorkshire
Temperature in open tower case is not too hot. Little more than room temp. Voodoo is the hottest thing.
This happens from cold starts too so I don't think it's overheating. 060 gets warm and so does the 603e.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

stachu100

Country
Poland
Region
mazowieckie
It's normal behavoiur for some BPPC: you must turn on Amiga, wait with black screen for about 40 seconds until card will get warm (CPLD chips in particular), turn off Amiga, wait 5 seconds, and turn-on.
And you will have system up and running.

Just small design (timing vs temperature) flaw.

8bitplus

Country
UK
Region
West Yorkshire
It's normal behavoiur for some BPPC: you must turn on Amiga, wait with black screen for about 40 seconds until card will get warm (CPLD chips in particular), turn off Amiga, wait 5 seconds, and turn-on.
And you will have system up and running.

Just small design (timing vs temperature) flaw.

I'm not sure if I would see the power LED blinking if that was the case. Wouldn't it just try booting on the 020?

Top Bottom