Retired Slacker
AmiBayer
Blogger
Country
UK
Region
Sevenoaks
Howdy folks,

Does anyone know if its possible to fit FastATA MkIII and Blizzard PPC/BVison setup in a Desktop A1200?

I know they don't fit as standard as I've positioned the cards and the FastATA and BVision overlap.

Does anyone know if I used Rom risers on the FastATA if it would then be above the BVision?

And also, that works would the Desktop A1200 for back together?

I'm guessing I'll have to go with a SCSI or different IDE option on this progect?

Cheers for any advice :)

Steve.

Phipscube

WipEout Fanboi
Country
Denmark
Region
Ringsted
Hiya Steve

I used to have a similar setup in the 90's, and yeah you need 2x socket risers per rom. But you'll find it won't fit in a desktop unless you perform some hackery underneath the keyboard. Back then I transferred all my stuff into a Mikronik tower. I think Marios did some hacking to his keyboard for fitting a Fast ATA, their might be some good info in his Custom 1200 Desktop thread.

Personally though, the Fast ATA doesn't play very nicely with the BPPC, one of the common ball aches is that the HDD occasionally becomes corrupted when you try to run the Fast ATA Software. I tried to get it running again this time around thinking time would have healed the bugs... alas, I gave up with it this time around too and went for IDE Fix Express. I would really like to get my Fast ATA going because its fast (for IDE in and Amiga) But the physical dimensions and the cack software really stop me.

I hope you have better luck though mate, maybe your l33t software skills will allow you to have Fast IDE speed joy :)

fitzsteve

Retired Slacker
AmiBayer
Blogger
Country
UK
Region
Sevenoaks
Hey thanks for the info Phippy (y)

I think I'm going to use the FastATA back in the A1200 Tower, but just use it for OS4/OS4.1 (to get over the lack of BlizSCSI support) Run everything else like OS3.9 off the SCSI...

I think maybe its best to also use the Blizzard PPC SCSI in the Desktop, will just have to make a nice tidy SCSI-IDE-CF setup as I don't really want to put a washing machine style noisey SCSI HDD in there LOL

Fun times ahead...

Phipscube

WipEout Fanboi
Country
Denmark
Region
Ringsted
No probs Steve mate,

sounds like you have a good plan there though... And yeah you're gonna have a lot of fun with the A1200D mate, its really challenging, but rewarding :)

Xanxi

AmiBayer
Blogger
Country
France
Region
Paris
What about the Fast-ATA and the Indivision AGA?

I am going to build this setup in my desktop A1200 and was not aware that there is a problem with te keyboard.
Can it fit with one ROM riser instead of two?

mfilos

Extr3m3ly l33t
Country
Greece
Region
Glyfada/Athens
Check my A1200D PPC thread Steve.
I had FastATA for long time till I changed it for SCSI :)
You can see the keyboard hack that Phipscube said (since I have done it) as well.

Phipscube

WipEout Fanboi
Country
Denmark
Region
Ringsted
Hiya Xanxi,

you might get away with one riser on each using the Fast ATA over an Indivision, and I think you might also JUST squeeze the keyboard over it. You'll probably have to use a bit of insulation tape under the Fast ata (where it goes on top of the indivision) and a little on the front most rom to avoid shorts from the metal parts.

What about the Fast-ATA and the Indivision AGA?

I am going to build this setup in my desktop A1200 and was not aware that there is a problem with te keyboard.
Can it fit with one ROM riser instead of two?

merlinkv

Country
Ukraine
Region
Kyiv
@Steve

With ROM risers is possible to use the FastATA & Indivision combination.... But.... tower.... be carefull, because you have Mediator inside ......

You cannot use FastATA-Indivision-Mediator combination with "standard" ROM risers......

Best wishes

fitzsteve

Retired Slacker
AmiBayer
Blogger
Country
UK
Region
Sevenoaks
@Steve

With ROM risers is possible to use the FastATA & Indivision combination.... But.... tower.... be carefull, because you have Mediator inside ......

You cannot use FastATA-Indivision-Mediator combination with "standard" ROM risers......

Best wishes

Thanks Pablo,

I've got everything figured out now.

I'm going to use the FastATA in the Tower under the mediator without any risers (no indivision here) but only for OS4/DVDRW and a removable CF in the backplane.

Everything else will still run off the Bliz PPC SCSI :)

In the Desktop A1200 I'll have to use a SCSI solution (SCSI-IDE-CF) as I don't want to hack anything up.

I don't really need anything for native outputs as my RGB Scart output is so good on the LCD TV I lothe to use anything else, the best bit about Scart is the zoom/stretch functions on the Widescreen TV :cool:

All native modes are rock steady including interlaced modes, the only small annoyance is having to change the TV channel from PC-AV, but the benefit of Scart Quality far, far outweighs that (y)

Steve.

Top Bottom