Bluescreen! Blue monday!

arnljot

Dad, gamer, nerd, amigian
Country
Oslo
Region
Oslo
Friday, Arnljot thinks:
"Phew! Good to be on top of things, the demo on tuesday will go swimmingly! Just have to wrap up the report query, the servers databaseconnection and validation messages on the search form - easy as pie!"

Monday, Arnljot screams:
"WTF!!! BLUESCREEN??!?!? Jeeeeez! Now, lets calm down, log in in safe mode and see how bad it is. WTF!! Not sufficient rights to log on to safe mode.... aaarghhh! Lets call service desk and see what they can do"

A little later, Arnljot dials "5550":
Lady: Service desk, how may I help you?
Arnljot: Is this 911 for crashed computers?
Lady: <chuckles> Yes, this is us.
Arnljot: My laptop is bluescreening, could you please have a look at it?
Lady: Sure, I'll send someone over right away sir.

4 mins later, a guy shows up:
Guy: Are you Arnljot?
Arnljot: Yes, here's the computer. As you can see it's show <demoes the blue screen>
Guy: Dang! Well I'm sorry to say that I have to take your HP with fast processor and lots of RAM away from you. The one you spent the better half of a week setting up your development environment in, and give you this staggeringly underpowered Dell D602 instead. Oh, and btw you don't have sufficient rights to install anything on it.
Arnljot: <sobs> but my demo.... <sob>
Guy: Well, sorry. Do you have a backup?
Arnljot: Backup?
Guy: I see...
Arnljot: I did bad?
Guy: Good news is that the guy from Dell comes after 4 hours when one of these puppies crashes. Bad news is that the guy from HP comes every other week, next week...
Arnljot: I see.
Guy: Which section are you with?
Arnljot: I'm a consultant. Avenir.
Guy: Oh, you're from the future. You'll be fine then.

imnogeek

Country
UK
Region
Midlands
Re: Bluescreen! Blue monday!

Hmmmm, last Tuesday was Microsfts update day, some machines may have been schedueled to install updates at the weekend so I recken we can blame MS :p

or it's just broke.

You seem to fall into the same category as a few of my customers: a backup is what I provide after the system crashes :mrgreen:

On a serious note, HP offer same day support but it would seem your company have not signed up for that.

Kin Hell

Banned
Country
U.K.
Region
Cornwall

Too damned funny! :twisted:

Kin

Merlin

Ministry of Retr0bright and Street Judge
VIP
Country
UK
Region
Manchester

Pwned, and no mistake!!

Arnljot mate; don't they synchronise any files from your PCs to the server, just in case something like this occurs? :nuts:

In future, back anything critical up to a USB stick or CD (assuming they have given you the rights to do this).

arnljot

Country
Oslo
Region
Oslo

All my documents are backed up (synchronized) and all code is in subversion. And the build system is maintained in Maven2.

But the problem was all the other installed and configured software, which service desk is not responsible for since its a developer laptop where I have extended rights to install and maintain software wich normal users don't have.

So backuping that install isn't normally possible and neither am I actually allowed to take snapshots of that machine.

The way I have worked around it is to make a VirtualBox image which I back up from time to time (each milestone). Such a milestone was this afternoon in my head. But it crashed before I got to do it, so the virtual box image was on a machine that didn't want to speak to me.

However we found out what it was. The service desk guys were allowed to log in into safe mode, so we ran the latest restore point which was on thursday, I had installed a new Metaframe Citrix client over an existing one, they conflicted and hey presto bluescreen.

So once we were in safe mode, the road back to pink street was easy. And now I have a copy of my VirtualBox developer image and server image on my USB stick. I suggested to the service desk guy that I could move those images into my documents folder (which is actually default for VirtualBox) but he looked sternly at me and said that they'd be pretty unhappy backing up 4x8GB with files (four different images).

arnljot

Country
Oslo
Region
Oslo
Okay, mental note to self:

Do not:
Install VMWare
Install VirtualBox
WireShark
AND the newest Citrix client

on a OS image with an old citrix client already installed.

The issues were fixed as soon as the citrix client was rolled back in safe mode :)

Top Bottom