Dad, gamer, nerd, amigian
Rating - 100%
30   0   0
Country
Oslo
Region
Oslo
I'll provide pictures later if needed.

During a failed soldering attempt, I lifted some traces of it. I've been told that skilled and dedicated amiga fans might salvage it, therefore I will give it to people I deem worthy.

These might be, but is not limited to:
zetro
kin hell
skurk
coze
merlin
boot_wb
Fingerlickin_B (Edit: will use it to "put in a table", intresting. We'd like pics if this happens...)
da9000(Edit: Can fix it)

So, locals like skurk has first call. Locals will also not need to pay postage.

Rest of the world (outside norway), will have to pay a little using paypal for postage.

Card will preferably go to someone who can save it, secondly to one who will use it for spare parts and help out others in the community.

Package with tracking numer, not signed for:
Norway: 0,-
Europe (ex Faroe Islands and Greenland): USD$39,-
Rest of the world: USD$48,-

Letter, B-Priority:
Europe: USD$17,-
Rest of the world: USD$26,-

Fingerlickin_B

Rating - 100%
12   0   0
Country
Australia
Region
Belco
Re: Borked amiga500 motherboard

Hi Arnljot.

Can you please give advice on shipping cost to Australia?

If it's just got some dud tracks, I can fix & would love to build it into a table!

If shipping cost is insane, I'm sure more than one on that list of yours would take it instead :)

PZ.

arnljot

Rating - 100%
30   0   0
Country
Oslo
Region
Oslo

@Fingerlickin_B

You're on the list. If you get it you can pay as much as you like of the AUD$88 it costs to send it to australia.

But remember, locals and people closer have higher priority. I'll deside by friday. And ship on saturday.

arnljot

Rating - 100%
30   0   0
Country
Oslo
Region
Oslo

If you want it, and no one else claims it before some time during friday this week. I can ship it to you, and you can pay any amount(0 to 88) of the $88 you feel it's worth.

the most important thing is to get this card to someone who will give it tlc.

edit: Also, if I can send it as a letter it will be much cheaper, and even as a b grade letter it will be AUD$46

arnljot

Rating - 100%
30   0   0
Country
Oslo
Region
Oslo

Package with tracking numer, not signed for:
Europe (ex Faroe Islands and Greenland): USD$39,-
Rest of the world: USD$48,-

Letter, B-Priority:
Europe: USD$17,-
Rest of the world: USD$26,-

Remember, I'm not asking for all of the P&P. Just a token since the card is borked, and I care more that it's fixed than just lying in a box at my place - taking up space and reminding me that I'm no good with a soldering iron.

arnljot

Rating - 100%
30   0   0
Country
Oslo
Region
Oslo

BUMP!

Okay, this evening (GMT+1) I'll end this offer. It's potensially free shipping people!!!

Any takers??

Fingerlickin_B

Rating - 100%
12   0   0
Country
Australia
Region
Belco

Dude, I'd take it for free shipping...but would feel soooooooo bad doing that to you :(

Are you sure there isn't anyone closer to you? There MUST be! :shock:

PZ.

arnljot

Rating - 100%
30   0   0
Country
Oslo
Region
Oslo

So far no takers. I'm kinda surprised, even at potential free shipping.

I really don't have room for this board, and I don't have the skills, time or contacts in Oslo to have it fixed. So instead of throwing it away I'm giving it away. There are working chips on this card, no chips removed. Just some stupid stupid attempts by me to fit a Megachip on it.

You're on the list mate, and if I'm ever in Auz, you'll show me your table project :)

Fingerlickin_B

Rating - 100%
12   0   0
Country
Australia
Region
Belco

I cannot accept this item without paying shipping cost to Arnljot. It's far too unfair!

C'mon guys....please get on this.........I know there is somebody close that can grab & fix the mobo!

PZ.

triton

AmiBayer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Country
iowa usa

Could you get a picture of the damage in question? depending on how bad it is i might be able to fix it. i know im not on your list but i am pretty good with a soldering iron :D Heres an example, the red wires you see are enamel coated magnet wire ~34 gauge! it was my sisters broken LG flip phone and a PAIN to solder
154937p.jpg

da9000

AmiBayer
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
Country
USA
Region
San Francisco, CA

@triton:

That's very good soldering indeed!

Here's some more "hard iron" micro-soldering pr0n (for Zetr0? :p)

rp6_closeup-2.jpg

closeup_connection_to_br1-1.jpg

cpu_frontside.jpg

These were done back in the day when I hacked Celeron (Celerys? :) CPUs to run on Dual Pentium II motherboards. The first photo has, other than a yellow wire, a "bridge" between 3 of the 4 pins of the SMD resistor pack. Last photo to show scale. Another part that isn't visible: the drilling of the CPU pins *HEAD ON*, so as to "disconnect" the pin from the CPU mobo.

SkydivinGirl

Retro Girl
Rating - 100%
190   0   0
Country
USA
Region
Raleigh, NC

@da9000

Please, don't stop :wink:

I seriously need to learn to solder small contacts like that. I shake when I'm trying to hit a solder point that small.

Heather

Merlin

Ministry of Retr0bright and Street Judge
VIP
Rating - 100%
38   0   0
Country
UK
Region
Manchester

I can do that kind of stuff without a magnifying glass; I used to solder 30 AWG wire onto the legs of Playstation 1 chips when people had fried the tracks, trying to 'chip' them.

You need the eyes of a fighter pilot and nerves of steel... which some of us have...

Nice pictures da9000!! Do I spy a Slot 1 Celery there in that picture?

:mrgreen:

triton

AmiBayer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Country
iowa usa

I can do it without a magnifying glass too, on that LG phone i wore a pair of my moms reading glasses to get a bit of magnification because the traces were so damn small! to give you an idea the width of the connector that broke off of that phone is somewhere halfway between the size of a regular and mini USB connector and had 18 pins! :shock: it was hard to solder even with my weller WM-120. my current soldering project is the EXT port connecctor on a GP2X handheld game system. its a 24 pin connector thats only 15MM wide!

arnljot

Rating - 100%
30   0   0
Country
Oslo
Region
Oslo

Thats some good soldering skills! :)

I'll take some pics on friday of the damage I did to this poor machine.

da9000

AmiBayer
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
Country
USA
Region
San Francisco, CA

@SkydivinGirl:
Thanks for the encouragement :) But believe me, it's hard to stop. I've been doing it since before the age of 10 (long story). I'll have to take some photos with some of the other fixes I've done (like broken legs, etc.)

Practice helps a lot, so take a few crappy old PC boards and practice on those. A few tools help, but I'm a bit of a brute: big soldering iron, no lenses, no "holding stands" and no tweezers. Just nerves of steel and good eye sight (short distance). However, I highly recommend a good soldering iron (Weller, at least 30watts, variable is nice too), a LOT of flux, good solder and the right size, same for wires, also a good pair of tweezers/plyers and definitely a solid stand which will let you attach the electronics to it and so you have both of your hands free. And they'll usually have a mounted lens as well.

@Merlin:
Thanks mate. Yes! You're correct: slot-1 Celeron! :)

BTW, I enjoyed all your pr0n, scientific and visual in the Oxy and Peroxide threads. Thanks!

@triton:
Yeah, that did look like a very tough solder because of how close those those pads are. Hope that phone was worth it! ;-)

SkydivinGirl

Retro Girl
Rating - 100%
190   0   0
Country
USA
Region
Raleigh, NC

@da9000

Thanks for the tips! I've got plenty of dead hardware around here to play with. I guess a nice iron should be my next investment. :)

Heather

triton

AmiBayer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Country
iowa usa

For stuff as small as im working on i strongly recommend the weller WM120, its 12w and has a very fine tip and is pretty good for surface mount stuff and small traces. not as nice as a hot air iron but those cost ALOT. for general purpose soldering i have a 30w iron that i use, 12w isnt hot enough for bigger wires and traces!

Zetr0

Ya' Like it Retr0?
Rating - 100%
137   0   0
Country
UK
Region
Norfolk

Now theres some Awesome skills i have seen!!!!

I fear its only fair i should share mine :)

heres a link to OldSkool it was here i had to repair my good friend yorkie's D2C Wii Rom Drive, after a nast incident with a press on Wii Clip mod.

(from OLDSKOOL UK)
(click images to increase) [caution HUGE image]

under maximum magnification

(click images to increase) [caution HUGE image]

as you can see i had to attack the chip with a dremmel as two of the pins had been destroyed, after removing the plasic coating I had at it with lots of flux and my trusty soldering iron.

@da9000

those pics really are beautiful my friend, i wish i had a decent macro function on my camera

@triton
very nice work, what flux was you using? i can see some solder pooling, I think thats down to poor flux, if i can recommend pick up some plumbers flux next time you go out, its like paste and will improve your already damn fine soldering skills no end my friend! just remember to clean it .... or it will eat through the board LOL.

@SdG

in a way its like an instrument, the more you put into it practicing the more you will get out of it., have a look on youtube theres some great how-to's on there. I will say though, if you try and do things too cheaply it will come back and bite you in the butt, so its best to save a little and get something a little more expensive.

We do have a thread on here in the community chat about soldering and soldering equipment, some things are not as expensive as it once was (like hot-air rework stations) have a route around

@Merlicious

okay so you have the eyesight of a hawk, this means two things...
1 > you eat to many carrorts and
2 > the next D2C chip that needs a hack like above I am sending to you

:)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom