Bought a new computer

arnljot

Dad, gamer, nerd, amigian
Country
Oslo
Region
Oslo
Is this 450W PSU the most powerfull thing out there? Also is it even microATX?

See more details here

arnljot said:
This is my plan:

Case: Asus TM-260 or source an Asus TM-211 if I can find it. This cabinet is not produced anymore, but some shops in the UK have it. Too bad they don't ship to Norway.
Motherboard: Asus Rampage II GENE (1, 2)

For CPU I have no idea. Perhaps an Intel Core™ i7 Quad Processor i7-950 (pno: BX80601950). And 6 or 12 GB of RAM.

For Graphics card I'm thinking along the lines of "XFX GeForce 9400GT 550M 1GB PhysX CUDA" (pno: PV-T94G-ZAH2) with passive cooling, or "ASUS Radeon HD 4350 512MB DDR2 Silent" (pno: EAH4350 SILENT/DI/512MD2(LP))

Other than that, I'd put in an optical drive and two terrabyte drives or 500GB drives, or smaller in RAID0 (Stripe) for speed. Either Terrabyte for speed and size, or WD Velociraptor at 150 or 300GB for speed.

The machine will either have dual boot or tripple boot, or quadruple boot.

Debian, iDeneb(OSX), Windows and Aros. Aros most likely under VritualBox.

I'd like the i7 series because it supports nested paging, I am doing more and more virtualization, so I really like hardware that does it as smooth as possible. So VM hardware features and lots of RAM is important to me. Also, I want to go as "pure 64bit" as I possibly can.

PSU wise I need a juicy mATX PSU, but preferably as quiet as possible. The XFX GPU card states that it needs 350W. The testrig in the review consumed 280W under stress, while consumed 380W when overclocked to 4Gz. I will not be overclocking it in such a small cabinet. But I still think I'd be needing some juice in the PSU to be safe.

What I need to find is:
1) Good RAM for this setup
2) Good mATX PSU
3) A good cooler as stock coolers are bad, and the one bundled with the 950 is exceptional poor quality.

My two other "options" are to the other way with a completely fanless Atom setup. Kin, do you approve?

Edit
Found the PSU: Seasonic M12D 850W
Found the RAM: OCZ DDR3 PC3-10666 Gold Low-Voltage Triple Channel

Now I need a cooler

rkauer

Amiga fanboy
Country
Brazil
Region
São Leopoldo, RS
Re: Powerfull mATX PSU?

Those PSU are intended for barebone PC's, where a simple 450W is more than enough.

CPU (not with huge heatsink), 1 HD, 1 DVD, AGP or PCI-e video, RAM and that's all.

arnljot

Country
Oslo
Region
Oslo

This is my plan:

Case: Asus TM-260 or source an Asus TM-211 if I can find it. This cabinet is not produced anymore, but some shops in the UK have it. Too bad they don't ship to Norway.
Motherboard: Asus Rampage II GENE (1, 2)

For CPU I have no idea. Perhaps an Intel Core™ i7 Quad Processor i7-950 (pno: BX80601950). And 6 or 12 GB of RAM.

For Graphics card I'm thinking along the lines of "XFX GeForce 9400GT 550M 1GB PhysX CUDA" (pno: PV-T94G-ZAH2) with passive cooling, or "ASUS Radeon HD 4350 512MB DDR2 Silent" (pno: EAH4350 SILENT/DI/512MD2(LP))

Other than that, I'd put in an optical drive and two terrabyte drives or 500GB drives, or smaller in RAID0 (Stripe) for speed. Either Terrabyte for speed and size, or WD Velociraptor at 150 or 300GB for speed.

The machine will either have dual boot or tripple boot, or quadruple boot.

Debian, iDeneb(OSX), Windows and Aros. Aros most likely under VritualBox.

I'd like the i7 series because it supports nested paging, I am doing more and more virtualization, so I really like hardware that does it as smooth as possible. So VM hardware features and lots of RAM is important to me. Also, I want to go as "pure 64bit" as I possibly can.

PSU wise I need a juicy mATX PSU, but preferably as quiet as possible. The XFX GPU card states that it needs 350W. The testrig in the review consumed 280W under stress, while consumed 380W when overclocked to 4Gz. I will not be overclocking it in such a small cabinet. But I still think I'd be needing some juice in the PSU to be safe.

What I need to find is:
1) Good RAM for this setup
2) Good mATX PSU
3) A good cooler as stock coolers are bad, and the one bundled with the 950 is exceptional poor quality.

My two other "options" are to the other way with a completely fanless Atom setup. Kin, do you approve?

arnljot

Country
Oslo
Region
Oslo
Re: Pondering on a new computer (WAS: Powerfull mATX PSU?)

Maybe Thermaltake Matrix cabinet, if I decide I need a more powerfull gpu, and hence a big PSU.

But I doubt it, because I fear fan hell. Specs here

If a big box is what it ends up as, the R700 from 3R SYSTEMS is not ugly either (but not pretty either)...

Another "not pretty not ugly" big case from Nexus, the morpho

This is getting silly huge, but Whisper from NZXT...

And when thinking huge the Antec P180 is another huuge thing... that might work...

Harrison

Country
UK
Region
West Sussex

PSU fans are generally very quiet these days, so I wouldn't worry about noise from them. Especially those with 14cm fans.

The most noise these days is generated from the graphics card coolers. Those can be really noisy on higher end cards. So as you are looking for a passive GPU that is removed from the noisy equation. That leaves you with the noise from case fans and the CPU to deal with. Larger case fans will reduce noise. 12cm fans can spin much slower and still shift more air than an 8cm fan spinning quickly.

But also, different cases have different acoustic properties. Regardless of the parts some will always be loud, and others much quieter. The Antec cases with the separate PSU chamber at the bottom are with thinking about as it also cuts PSU heat out from the rest of the system.

And regarding the PSU rating. I'm not sure 450W would be enough if you are planning on running an i7 CPU with over 6GB of ram. You will need something a bit stronger.

There are also some newer coolers that are meant to be much quieter. Something like the Arctic Cooling Freezer Xtreme.

arnljot

Country
Oslo
Region
Oslo

Harrison said:
And regarding the PSU rating. I'm not sure 450W would be enough if you are planning on running an i7 CPU with over 6GB of ram. You will need something a bit stronger.

The test rig that was tested in one of the links I provided:

• Core i7 Test System Specs
  • Intel Core i7 965 Extreme Edition[/*:m:1euwywly]
  • x3 2GB G.Skill DDR3 PC3-12800 (CAS 9-9-9-24)[/*:m:1euwywly]
  • Asus P6T Deluxe (Intel X58)[/*:m:1euwywly]
  • Asus Rampage II GENE (Intel X58)[/*:m:1euwywly]
  • OCZ GameXStream (800 watt)[/*:m:1euwywly]
  • Seagate 500GB 7200-RPM (Serial ATA300)[/*:m:1euwywly]
  • ASUS GeForce GTX 285 (1GB) TOP[/*:m:1euwywly]

asusrampage2gene_Power.png

Wouldn't this mean that I should be fine with a 450W PSU, despite them using an 800W supply? Or are there things I don't understand?

arnljot

Country
Oslo
Region
Oslo

YAY

I just found out that the ASUS'es takes normal size ATX PSU! That means that I can buy a meanie supply :)

rkauer

Amiga fanboy
Country
Brazil
Region
São Leopoldo, RS

Just don't mind with any PSU with less than 650W and your system will be fine. Prefer a 800W or better one since you are willing to toss a pair of fast SATA HDs inside.

arnljot

Country
Oslo
Region
Oslo

arnljot said:
Found the PSU: Seasonic M12D 850W
Now I need a cooler

rkauer said:
Just don't mind with any PSU with less than 650W and your system will be fine. Prefer a 800W or better one since you are willing to toss a pair of fast SATA HDs inside.

Yup, found out that the cabinet I'm planning on using can house a normal ATX PSU. So no problemo. :)

arnljot

Country
Oslo
Region
Oslo

Pondering is over.

I have at least put in an order for the motherboard. Next up is the PSU. It's a 1000W unit, built by MIST. It's supposed to be fairly quiet. But before I order it I need to make sure it's not to long for the cabinet which I've also bought.

I've gotta measure the length when I get it out and in front of me. It's 155mm long, which is 4,5mm shorter than the "norm" it seems in it's "power class". But lets see how the white cutie can accommodate it.

To stay cool I'll be using a Scythe Big Shuriken, it seems and reads like a quiet but good worker.

Harrison

Country
UK
Region
West Sussex

Also have a look at the Enermax Revolution 1050W PSU as that is meant to be really quiet.

arnljot

Country
Oslo
Region
Oslo

Still undecided on PSU.

But this is what I've ordered so far:

1x XFX GeForce GTX 295 576M 1792MB PhysX PCI-Express 2.0, 2xDVI, HDCP, HDMI, Core 240x2, 55 (pno: GX-295N-HWFA)
2x WD VelociRaptor® 300GB SATA 10000RPM, 16MB, 3 GB/s (pno: WD3000HLFS)
2x OCZ Platinum XTC DDR3 1333MHz 6GB KIT 3x Platinum Z3 XTC 2GB, CL7-7-7-20, 1.65 Volts, 24 (pno: OCZ3P1333LV6GK
1x Microsoft Windows Vista Ultimate Nor SP1,OEM, 64bit, w/Offer Form
1x Intel Core? i7 Quad Processor i7-950 1366, 3.066GHz, QuickPath 4.8GTs, 4x 256KB, Boxed
1x In-Win Z638 Micro Tower sort uten PSU USB2.0, Audio, Airduct, 120mm vifte

And completely unrelated:
1x HTC Hero Absolute White Android (Engelsk operativsystem)

Now, I still have to figure out the PSU.

arnljot

Country
Oslo
Region
Oslo
Re: Bought a new computer (WAS: Powerfull mATX PSU?)

Hessu said:
Maybe this helps, PSU Calculator :popcorn:

Thanks, i have used a more accurate one, but they all fail to give a good guidance on amps.

Norway also has a very small selection of good high amps&watts psus which are silent and short. Most are 20cm long or more, and have plenty of dBa

EDIT

http://www.extreme.outervision.com/secu ... torpro.jsp

arnljot

Country
Oslo
Region
Oslo

I think I'll hang back on the Quad GPU setup for quite some time. Two GTX 295 cards eat a lot of juice, 46A each (~550W) so the only card I can find in norwegian shops are the "PC Power & Cooling Turbo-Cool 1200W" which hsa a noice level of ~50dBA, which is frankly put insane.

sigh

Kin Hell

Banned
Country
U.K.
Region
Cornwall

arnljot said:
<snip> the only card I can find in norwegian shops are the "PC Power & Cooling Turbo-Cool 1200W" which hsa a noice level of ~50dBA, which is frankly put insane.

sigh

So you buy one 80mm Extra quiet fan, hack into your brand new PSU, kiss your 3 year warranty on the Ass & have about 26db of noise instead. :D

Just for the record, I did this very thing after water cooling my rig. Yeah, the 1KW PC P&C was the same. :pissed:
Be sure you have good airflow into the PSU if you're gunno do this though. :wink:

Have you checked out the OCZ PSU's at all? - Save you a few quid too & still a Single 12V rail.

Kin

Harrison

Country
UK
Region
West Sussex

Some people with dual chamber cases, like the P180 have removed the fan completely from the PSU and used the large case fan in that chamber to cool the PSU, and report that works fine. So that is another method to consider.

Kin Hell

Banned
Country
U.K.
Region
Cornwall

Harrison said:
Some people with dual chamber cases, like the P180 have removed the fan completely from the PSU and used the large case fan in that chamber to cool the PSU, and report that works fine. So that is another method to consider.

Not with 90A on tap though. :wink:

Fluid Dynamics is one thing, but unless an air flow is ported directly at & through the PSU, you'll be very lucky if much air actually gets into the PSU guts. The dual chamber type of case would still require at least an exhaust fan on the PSU to help draw air through.

Kin

arnljot

Country
Oslo
Region
Oslo

I changed my cabinet order to a Silverstone Shugo SG04B.

Also I decided on the Seasonic M12D 850W, since I will only use one GTX295 for the forseable future, I will be happy with a psu of 80amps total, and just ~26dBA.

So the noisy part in my computer will be the GTX295.

Kin Hell

Banned
Country
U.K.
Region
Cornwall

@ Arnljot

The Seasonic you list is a Dual Railed 12V PSU. Not the same as a single 12v rail m8y. The OCZ range are a better PSU all round imo. (y)

The case you are choosing has little air flow from the front panel. That is gunno be a hot box m8y.

With regard to the GTX295, look out for the Newer models. They have just 1 PCB with 2 x GPU's, whereas the first models are 2 x PCB's each having it's own GPU. The fan solution on the newer cards is a better affair. ;)

Again, putting a card like this in a box like you choose is asking for Artifacting in your graphics due to heat.

Kin

Top Bottom