Broken Padlock how to remove?

supaduper

AmiBayer
Country
England
Region
west midlands
Hi Guys, I have a small prob my mate has a M/Bike in his garage which is in a block of garages and the padlock is broke we cant unlock it lol.

There is no power close to the garage so we cant grind it off , anyone got a smart idea how to get the bugger off nice and simple, its a quality hardened lock.

Bryce

AmiBayer
Country
Germany
Region
Nordrhein Westfalen
What type of lock is it? A small padlock on a chain? One of those big U-locks? A picture of the type would help.

Bryce.

ptyerman

Country
United Kingdom
Region
Nottinghamshire
The only options I can mention is a cordless grinder or drill, use increasing size drill bits on the key hole and drill out the lock. Done this myself on a few old locks and it is effective. The only other way is go at it with a hacksaw.

supaduper

AmiBayer
Country
England
Region
west midlands
What type of lock is it? A small padlock on a chain? One of those big U-locks? A picture of the type would help.

Bryce.

its a larger lock similar to this with hardened shackle about 6-8 mm
1350486653-38491800.jpg

Last edited:

ptyerman

Country
United Kingdom
Region
Nottinghamshire
Just drill it out if you have access to a cordless drill, works quite easily with that type of lock. Will only take about 10 minutes.

supaduper

AmiBayer
Country
England
Region
west midlands
Just drill it out if you have access to a cordless drill, works quite easily with that type of lock. Will only take about 10 minutes.

What drills to use ptyerman ? Carbide ?

Last edited:

ptyerman

Country
United Kingdom
Region
Nottinghamshire
Just normal HSS bits should suffice, the actual key part of the lock is rarely hardened and drills out quite easily. Start with a small bit that almost slides down the key slot then one a little larger, the aim is to drill out the pegs that the key engages with, that way you will be able to turn it with a screwdriver or similar item. If it wont turn, just use a bigger bit to drill out the whole lock part. You normally only need 3 size drill bits to do it.

supaduper

AmiBayer
Country
England
Region
west midlands
Just normal HSS bits should suffice, the actual key part of the lock is rarely hardened and drills out quite easily. Start with a small bit that almost slides down the key slot then one a little larger, the aim is to drill out the pegs that the key engages with, that way you will be able to turn it with a screwdriver or similar item. If it wont turn, just use a bigger bit to drill out the whole lock part. You normally only need 3 size drill bits to do it.

Cheers Dude will try that :)

Bryce

AmiBayer
Country
Germany
Region
Nordrhein Westfalen
No need to drill one of those, get a metal pole in there and whack it with a hammer, they fall apart.

Bryce.

supaduper

AmiBayer
Country
England
Region
west midlands
No need to drill one of those, get a metal pole in there and whack it with a hammer, they fall apart.

Bryce.
I thought about that but I think I will bend the clasp that the lock goes through so trying to remove it without damaging the clasp

Ed.D

Blogger
Country
United Kingdom
Region
Bristol
I agree with the drilling out method. Alternatively a pair of bolt croppers would work.

ShambleS1980

Softmodder/Tsoper/Repairer of old xboxes.
AmiBayer
Country
Wales
Region
Gwynedd
ok so probably not suposed to tell people this stuff...
but you can make a U shaped tab out of a steel can. (coke or pepsi or similar needs to be steel though)

then you can slide it down the shaft of the barrel that has the notch in.
push it down as far as the notch and it will push the latch and it will open.

it should look a bit like a u shaped plectrum.

this only works on a standard padlock like you have shown in the picture tough.

Attachments

• like this.png
    like this.png
    356 bytes · Views: 0
Last edited:

mjnurney

we live as we dream. Alone.
Country
england
Region
Milton Keynes
good pair of bolt crops ....or a big hammer.

most locks are surprisingly easy to open I'm sorry to say.

I recently lost the key to a brand new Abus lock , my nieces fella is a lock smith - he showed us how to open it with a feeler gauge in about 10 seconds....

supaduper

AmiBayer
Country
England
Region
west midlands
good pair of bolt crops ....or a big hammer.

most locks are surprisingly easy to open I'm sorry to say.

I recently lost the key to a brand new Abus lock , my nieces fella is a lock smith - he showed us how to open it with a feeler gauge in about 10 seconds....

Knowledge is power Mike !

I am still drawn to The Bryce solution :smdevil::hammer:

mjnurney

we live as we dream. Alone.
Country
england
Region
Milton Keynes
yes drill out the barrel but watch those fingers :)

Top Bottom