BSC AlfaPower Compatibility

Olav_nordmann

Country
Norway
Region
Hordaland
I have this expansion, but I'm a bit puzzled when it comes to compatibility for the disk drive in this sidecar. The original disk seems to have died between since I got it and now (doesn't spin), but nevertheless here are my observations:

With KS1.3, I get a blue screen at boot IF both the sidecar HDD and FastRAM is used with the 1MB ChipRAM Mod enabled in the A500 itself. Disabling only one of these three features gives a successfull boot. If the broken drive is connected I get a blue screen anyways as long as the HDD is enabled. I also used to get a blue screen if I tried to boot the drive with everything enabled when it was still working.

With KS3.1 I used to be able to boot from floppy to access the old drive, with everything enabled, but now as the drive is broken it's the same as with KS1.3 (except the blue is flashing to black a lot).

The sidecar is using ROM version 6.06, and has 8MB FastRAM

*Edit*
The blue screen is NOT the blue screen from the "Bad Chipset" error. After some testing (and patience) the power led will flash about 30 times and boot will continue as usual when it happens.

Last edited:

Olav_nordmann

Country
Norway
Region
Hordaland
Okay... One of the previous owners really did not go to town on this.

After a brief inspection, it's apparent that someone tried to upgrade this from 2MB to 8MB using 256Kx4 chips.

Top Bottom